jvelilla

jvelilla

Advanced Functional Programming with Elixir: B4.0

Chapter One makes a reference to DDD to use factories

In Domain-Driven Design, a factory creates domain objects in a consistent
way, keeping their internal structure loosely coupled from the rest of the
system. The FunPark.Ride module follows this pattern by exposing a make/2 factory
function for creating new rides.

I understand the idea that each module uses factories to maintain a consistent creation, but the current approach could create domain object that have invalid values.

Some factories in FunPark (chapter 1) enforce required arguments, but optional arguments are just passed without validation. We can accidentally pass an invalid value and the struct will happily accept it.

For example:
dark_mansion2 = FunPark.Ride.make(
“Dark Mansion”,
min_age: -10,
tags: [:dark]
)

Maybe the factory should only accept required fields.

  • Optional fields are updated with dedicated function (check preconditions)
    I guess this kind of validations will be treated in other sections of the book.

def make(name, opts \\ []) when is_binary(name) do
%__MODULE__{
id: :erlang.unique_integer([:positive]),
name: name
}
end

Example check precondition

def set_min_age(%__MODULE__{} = ride, age) when is_integer(age) and age >= 0 do
{:ok, %{ride | min_age: age }}
end

def set_min_age(_, _) do
{ :error, invalid_age }

end

This is very close to design by contract style in Eiffel.

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

ianwillie
Hello Brian, I have some problems with running the code in your book. I like the style of the book very much and I have learnt a lot as...
New
gilesdotcodes
In case this helps anyone, I’ve had issues setting up the rails source code. Here were the solutions: In Gemfile, change gem 'rails' t...
New
Chrichton
Dear Sophie. I tried to do the “Authorization” exercise and have two questions: When trying to plug in an email-service, I found the ...
New
curtosis
Running mix deps.get in the sensor_hub directory fails with the following error: ** (Mix) No SSH public keys found in ~/.ssh. An ssh aut...
New
jgchristopher
“The ProductLive.Index template calls a helper function, live_component/3, that in turn calls on the modal component. ” Excerpt From: Br...
New
dsmith42
Hey there, I’m enjoying this book and have learned a few things alredayd. However, in Chapter 4 I believe we are meant to see the “>...
New
adamwoolhether
Is there any place where we can discuss the solutions to some of the exercises? I can figure most of them out, but am having trouble with...
New
akraut
The markup used to display the uploaded image results in a Phoenix.LiveView.HTMLTokenizer.ParseError error. lib/pento_web/live/product_l...
New
ggerico
I got this error when executing the plot files on macOS Ventura 13.0.1 with Python 3.10.8 and matplotlib 3.6.1: programming_ML/code/03_...
New
redconfetti
Docker-Machine became part of the Docker Toolbox, which was deprecated in 2020, long after Docker Desktop supported Docker Engine nativel...
New

Other popular topics Top

DevotionGeo
I know that these benchmarks might not be the exact picture of real-world scenario, but still I expect a Rust web framework performing a ...
New
brentjanderson
Bought the Moonlander mechanical keyboard. Cherry Brown MX switches. Arms and wrists have been hurting enough that it’s time I did someth...
New
DevotionGeo
I know that -t flag is used along with -i flag for getting an interactive shell. But I cannot digest what the man page for docker run com...
New
AstonJ
This looks like a stunning keycap set :orange_heart: A LEGENDARY KEYBOARD LIVES ON When you bought an Apple Macintosh computer in the e...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
25 puzzles that will make you a better C programmer by challenging your knowledge of the language, and explaining the technical details o...
New
AstonJ
If you’re getting errors like this: psql: error: connection to server on socket “/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432” failed: No such file or directory ...
New
RobertRichards
Hair Salon Games for Girls Fun Girls Hair Saloon game is mainly developed for kids. This game allows users to select virtual avatars to ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A concise guide to MySQL 9 database administration, covering fundamental concepts, techniques, and best practices. Neil Smyth MySQL...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
This book forgoes the abstract and instead provides concrete examples to help you better leverage the unique properties of Elixir, Erlang...
New
xiji2646-netizen
Woke up to this today: Claude Code’s complete source code exposed via npm source map. Not a snippet. All 512,000 lines. 1,900 TypeScript ...
New

Sub Categories: