bradleyscollins

bradleyscollins

Agile Web Development with Rails 8: Outdated Content and Mild Technical Critique (p. 223)

The 2nd bullet on p. 223 reads as follows (highlighting mine):

  • The system test in test/system/users_test.rb was generated by the scaffolding
    generator we used at the start of the chapter. Those tests don’t pass. See
    if you can get them to pass without breaking the other system tests. You’ll
    recall we created the module AuthenticationHelpers and included it in all of
    the system tests
    by default, so you might need to change the code to not
    do that so that you can properly test the login functionality.

This bullet is the only place the text “AuthenticationHelpers” appears in the Rails 8 version of the book. It looks as if there has not been a proper AuthenticationHelpers module since the version of the book on Rails 6.

Additionally, we did not technically include it in the system tests. We monkey-patched ActiveSupport::TestCase. The get and set methods are only defined in ActionDispatch::IntegrationTest. Consequently, login_as() works in controller tests but fails in system tests.

I wonder if an approach more like the one in the Rails 6 version of the book might serve us better:

module AuthenticationHelpers
  def login_as(user)
    if respond_to? :visit
      visit login_url
      fill_in :name, with: user.name
      fill_in :password, with: 'secret'
      click_on 'Login'
    else
      post login_url, params: { name: user.name, password: 'secret' }
    end
  end

  def logout
    delete logout_url
  end

  def setup
    login_as users(:one)
  end
end

class ActionDispatch::IntegrationTest
  include AuthenticationHelpers
end

class ActionDispatch::SystemTestCase
  include AuthenticationHelpers
end

Or perhaps ditch conditional logic and implement login_as() separately in each monkey-patch:

module AuthenticationHelpers
  def logout
    delete logout_url
  end

  def setup
    login_as users(:one)
  end
end

class ActionDispatch::IntegrationTest
  include AuthenticationHelpers

  def login_as(user)
    post login_url, params: { name: user.name, password: 'secret' }
  end
end

class ActionDispatch::SystemTestCase
  include AuthenticationHelpers

  def login_as(user)
    visit login_url
    fill_in :name, with: user.name
    fill_in :password, with: 'secret'
    click_on 'Login'
  end
end

Just some thoughts.

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

abtin
page 20: … protoc command… I had to additionally run the following go get commands in order to be able to compile protobuf code using go...
New
raul
Page 28: It implements io.ReaderAt on the store type. Sorry if it’s a dumb question but was the io.ReaderAt supposed to be io.ReadAt? ...
New
adamwoolhether
When trying to generate the protobuf .go file, I receive this error: Unknown flag: --go_opt libprotoc 3.12.3 MacOS 11.3.1 Googling ...
New
jskubick
I’m running Android Studio “Arctic Fox” 2020.3.1 Patch 2, and I’m embarrassed to admit that I only made it to page 8 before running into ...
New
jskubick
I think I might have found a problem involving SwitchCompat, thumbTint, and trackTint. As entered, the SwitchCompat changes color to hol...
New
jgchristopher
“The ProductLive.Index template calls a helper function, live_component/3, that in turn calls on the modal component. ” Excerpt From: Br...
New
brunogirin
When running tox for the first time, I got the following error: ERROR: InterpreterNotFound: python3.10 I realised that I was running ...
New
EdBorn
Title: Agile Web Development with Rails 7: (page 70) I am running windows 11 pro with rails 7.0.3 and ruby 3.1.2p20 (2022-04-12 revision...
New
andreheijstek
After running /bin/setup, the first error was: The foreman' command exists in these Ruby versions: That was easy to fix: gem install fore...
New
ggerico
I got this error when executing the plot files on macOS Ventura 13.0.1 with Python 3.10.8 and matplotlib 3.6.1: programming_ML/code/03_...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Brace yourself for a fun challenge: build a photorealistic 3D renderer from scratch! In just a couple of weeks, build a ray tracer that r...
New
Exadra37
Please tell us what is your preferred monitor setup for programming(not gaming) and why you have chosen it. Does your monitor have eye p...
New
AstonJ
I’ve been hearing quite a lot of comments relating to the sound of a keyboard, with one of the most desirable of these called ‘thock’, he...
New
Exadra37
I am asking for any distro that only has the bare-bones to be able to get a shell in the server and then just install the packages as we ...
New
foxtrottwist
A few weeks ago I started using Warp a terminal written in rust. Though in it’s current state of development there are a few caveats (tab...
New
First poster: AstonJ
Jan | Rethink the Computer. Jan turns your computer into an AI machine by running LLMs locally on your computer. It’s a privacy-focus, l...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build modern server-driven web applications using htmx. Whatever programming language you use, you’ll write less (and cleaner) code. ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Explore the power of Ash Framework by modeling and building the domain for a real-world web application. Rebecca Le @sevenseacat and ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Fight complexity and reclaim the original spirit of agility by learning to simplify how you develop software. The result: a more humane a...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
This book forgoes the abstract and instead provides concrete examples to help you better leverage the unique properties of Elixir, Erlang...
New

Sub Categories: