imeraj

imeraj

Advanced Functional Programming with Elixir: Problem Running Code Example

I am reading this book with great enthusiasm.

So far the code works great but while running the examples in Predicates That Span Contexts section I am encountering some function arity errors as below -

iex(13)> FunPark.Ride.eligible?(alice, tea_cup)
** (FunctionClauseError) no function clause matching in FunPark.Monoid.FunPark.Monoid.PredAll.wrap/2

    The following arguments were given to FunPark.Monoid.FunPark.Monoid.PredAll.wrap/2:

        # 1
        %FunPark.Monoid.PredAll{
          value: &FunPark.Monoid.PredAll.default_pred?/1
        }

        # 2
        #Function<1.2796843/2 in FunPark.Ride.tall_enough?>

    Attempted function clauses (showing 1 out of 1):

        def wrap(%FunPark.Monoid.PredAll{}, value) when is_function(value, 1)

Apparently, we are passing two arguments instead of one here -

def eligible?(%Patron{} = patron, %__MODULE__{} = ride),
    do: p_all([&tall_enough?/2, &old_enough?/2]).(patron, ride)

I ran the book’s sample code and it works fine. But it has code with curry.

I am wondering if the example code from this section is supposed to run without curry as I am typing in the code as I go.

Thanks!

First Post!

luistavera

luistavera

Hi

I am running into the same issue. I think this is an error in the book since the Predicate expects a function with arity 1. The following works:
def elegible?(%Patron{} = patron, %MODULE{} = ride) do
te = fn patron → tall_enough?(patron, ride) end
oe = fn patron → old_enough?(patron, ride) end
p_all([te, oe]).(patron)
end
Cheers

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

jon
Some minor things in the paper edition that says “3 2020” on the title page verso, not mentioned in the book’s errata online: p. 186 But...
New
johnp
Running the examples in chapter 5 c under pytest 5.4.1 causes an AttributeError: ‘module’ object has no attribute ‘config’. In particula...
New
GilWright
Working through the steps (checking that the Info,plist matches exactly), run the demo game and what appears is grey but does not fill th...
New
jamis
The following is cross-posted from the original Ray Tracer Challenge forum, from a post by garfieldnate. I’m cross-posting it so that the...
New
fynn
This is as much a suggestion as a question, as a note for others. Locally the SGP30 wasn’t available, so I ordered a SGP40. On page 53, ...
New
brunogirin
When trying to run tox in parallel as explained on page 151, I got the following error: tox: error: argument -p/–parallel: expected one...
New
kolossal
Hi, I need some help, I’m new to rust and was learning through your book. but I got stuck at the last stage of distribution. Whenever I t...
New
Keton
When running the program in chapter 8, “Implementing Combat”, the printout Health before attack was never printed so I assumed something ...
New
dtonhofer
@parrt In the context of Chapter 4.3, the grammar Java.g4, meant to parse Java 6 compilation units, no longer passes ANTLR (currently 4....
New
davetron5000
Hello faithful readers! If you have tried to follow along in the book, you are asked to start up the dev environment via dx/build and ar...
New

Other popular topics Top

Devtalk
Reading something? Working on something? Planning something? Changing jobs even!? If you’re up for sharing, please let us know what you’...
1063 24245 395
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Machine learning can be intimidating, with its reliance on math and algorithms that most programmers don't encounter in their regular wor...
New
Exadra37
I am thinking in building or buy a desktop computer for programing, both professionally and on my free time, and my choice of OS is Linux...
New
New
AstonJ
Continuing the discussion from Thinking about learning Crystal, let’s discuss - I was wondering which languages don’t GC - maybe we can c...
New
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Get the comprehensive, insider information you need for Rails 8 with the new edition of this award-winning classic. Sam Ruby @rubys ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Explore the power of Ash Framework by modeling and building the domain for a real-world web application. Rebecca Le @sevenseacat and ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A masterclass in the fundamentals and principles of functional programming. Minh Quang Tran The Art of Functional Programming is a ma...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Write elegant Ruby code—not just correct, but idiomatic. Go beyond the vocabulary and syntax and learn to express yourself with eloquence...
New

Sub Categories: