AstonJ

AstonJ

Types on the BEAM

Currently a hot topic in the BEAM world, let’s start a thread for it (as suggested by @crowdhailer here) :smiley:

What are your current thoughts? What would you like to see/not see? :upside_down_face:

Most Liked

Korbin73

Korbin73

I would really like to see types on the beam. Right now the one that I’m keeping the closest eye on is Hamler (https://github.com/hamler-lang/hamler). I know the other project is Gleam, but I’m indifferent to the syntax. It must be pretty hard since projects like Alpaca, and Elchemy have been abandoned.

For me it’s not about checking types, it’s really about reasoning about the code. When I put my Elixir projects down and come back 3 months later, when I navigate to the function that needs changing, it involves tracing every call site to infer what types are getting passed in. I loose interest in having to Hindley/Milner all my types when the computer can do it better than me :stuck_out_tongue: To be fair typespecs are great but it’s so easy for them to get out of sync and doesn’t help when you pass a function to another function and need to know the type signature (at runtime).

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

I am fully with you on the sentiment – but I am trying very hard to detach myself from syntax tastes. I have found so many times during my career that syntax barely matters. If the language constructs and the runtime are good I can swallow almost any syntax (well, maybe not COBOL but who knows).

wolf4earth

wolf4earth

Very true.

Personally I quite like the ML-style syntax, speak Haskell, Elm, and the like. At the same time I’m not really fond of the C++ style syntax with deeply nested :: namespaces with lots of shortened names, like std or Buf (seriously, you couldn’t call if Buffer)?

But the latter also applies to Rust and I cannot deny that Rust is a very thoughtfully designed language with a lot of merits (I’m actually learning it at the moment).

So yeah, as I see it good language design is nearly orthogonal to choice of syntax.

Where Next?

Popular Backend topics Top

DevotionGeo
I know that these benchmarks might not be the exact picture of real-world scenario, but still I expect a Rust web framework performing a ...
New
wolf4earth
Serverless has been quite a prevalent topic in our industry in the past few years, and while there are a lot of sceptics, I think it’s sa...
New
bot
So you want to live-reload Rust - fasterthanli.me. Good morning! It is still 2020, and the world is literally on fire , so I guess we c...
New
bot
Add sound to your Python game. This is part 13 in an ongoing series about creating video games in Python 3 using the Pygame module. Prev...
New
First poster: bot
The Complete AWS Lambda Handbook for Beginners (Part 1). In the first part of our Complete AWS Lambda Handbook for Beginners, we explain...
New
ariandanim
Hello, i am facing difficult using webpack when to install within phoenix framework 1.5.7 because the webpack is still version 4.x.x inf...
New
AstonJ
If you are experiencing Rails console using 100% CPU on your dev machine, then updating your development and test gems might fix the issu...
New
jaeyson
Hi all!, anybody tried this Elixir quiz from @Tetiana? She’s the one who made Elixircards.
New
mafinar
We always have fun in this forum around this time of the year, discussing the days’ (or yesterdays’) challenges and talking through solut...
New
jss
If you like video courses, maybe you should try this: https://clojureforpros.com/
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Learn from the award-winning programming series that inspired the Elixir language, and go on a step-by-step journey through the most impo...
New
dasdom
No chair. I have a standing desk. This post was split into a dedicated thread from our thread about chairs :slight_smile:
New
Rainer
My first contact with Erlang was about 2 years ago when I used RabbitMQ, which is written in Erlang, for my job. This made me curious and...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Rust is an exciting new programming language combining the power of C with memory safety, fearless concurrency, and productivity boosters...
New
mafinar
This is going to be a long an frequently posted thread. While talking to a friend of mine who has taken data structure and algorithm cou...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Jamis Buck @jamis This month, we have the pleasure of spotlighting author Jamis Buck, who has written Mazes for Prog...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Rebecca Skinner @RebeccaSkinner Welcome to our latest author spotlight, where we sit down with Rebecca Skinner, auth...
New
AnfaengerAlex
Hello, I’m a beginner in Android development and I’m facing an issue with my project setup. In my build.gradle.kts file, I have the foll...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Quickly turn complex problems into simple, working solutions using functional programming, safe concurrency, and the expressive tools of ...
New
CommunityNews
Open-source implementation of the classic GTA engine now running directly in your browser. Experience the reVC technology demo on DOS.Zon...
New