Cellane

Cellane

Been asked to do a presentation about Elixir - what should I include?

I’ve been asked by my supervisors at work to finally give everyone in the team presentation about “that Elixir thing you can’t seem to shut up about” (:rofl:) so I’m busy preparing slides that would hopefully present a good pitch as to why FP and Elixir is a good idea. I’d be happy to hear about past talks and presentations from other people that I could use as inspiration!

Most Liked

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Make VERY SURE to outline the runtime’s benefits:

  • Preemptive scheduling (what 99% of the runtimes out there don’t have)
  • OTP’s let it crash and get restored way of work
  • Supervisors!
  • Extremely easy to achieve parallelism and concurrency

Most people just fangirl at the language and a lot of other people are very rightfully not impressed. This decision is only 5-10% about the languages (say because of meta-programming / macros and good libraries). 90-95% of the benefit is the runtime so do your very best to highlight that!

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Preemptive scheduling

Not one single OTP Process (what in other programming languages are called actors, green threads, fibers) can affect the latency of the others. The average execution time of any given function should remain mostly the same even under heavy load – a huge selling point IMO. That’s why Phoenix apps on $5 worth of servers can handle 2000+ requests a second (while a Ruby on Rails or Laravel vanilla app can be brought to its knees by 100-200 requests a second).

Parallelism / concurrency

Consider this:

def send_email_batch(list_of_emails) do
  # This will receive no more than 100 email addresses
  YourMailSender.send_batch_message(list_of_emails)
end

list_of_emails # Supposedly a very big list
|> Stream.chunk(100)
|> Task.async_stream(&send_email_batch/1, timeout: :infinity, max_concurrency: 20)
|> Stream.run()

:point_up: This will get a big list of emails, break the list into smaller lists of 100 emails each and send each chunk (batch) in parallel, but it never sends more than 20 batches at the same time (the :max_concurrency option of Task.async_stream), e.g. at any given time maximum of 2000 emails are being sent (if we assume this is your email sending provider’s API rate limit and that you want to comply with it).

This extremely transparent parallelism / concurrency is what brought me to Elixir.

AstonJ

AstonJ

Some great thoughts by Dimi and you might also find what Robert wrote in the Erlang Rationale worth a look :smiley:

These EF threads might also contain something of use?

:nerd_face:

Good luck and let us know how you get on :+1:

Where Next?

Popular Backend topics Top

DevotionGeo
For me it’s the semicolon, because I stopped using a semicolon in JavaScript, two other of my favorite languages, Elixir and Go don’t hav...
New
First poster: bot
This Python script mimics Babbage’s Difference Engine. In Use this Python script to simulate Babbage’s Difference Engine, Python offered...
New
ariandanim
Hello, i am facing difficult using webpack when to install within phoenix framework 1.5.7 because the webpack is still version 4.x.x inf...
New
AstonJ
Inspired by this post by @stefan.jarina, I’m curious about the kind of Bash scripts you’ve written and whether you still use Bash given t...
New
kelvinst
I have being some Elixir open-source contributions and side projects. Oh, and I’m doing them on livestreams on my twitch channel, follow ...
New
OvermindDL1
Woooooooo! This is such a huge release for it, and 2 years incoming! In short, the library is now using an updated hyper backend (not j...
New
New
jaeyson
Sorry for the very vague noob question, I really want to ask this: When do we use async or sync code in the context of Elixir? AFAIK gen...
New
KnowledgeIsPower
Do you just use plain Terraform alone? Do you use CDK for Terraform or other supporting tools (e.g. Terraform Cloud ) for Terraform?
New
pillaiindu
Hi everyone, Does anyone know when will “Agile Web Development in Rails 8” by Pragmatic Bookshelf release. I’m eager to dive into the la...
New

Other popular topics Top

dasdom
No chair. I have a standing desk. This post was split into a dedicated thread from our thread about chairs :slight_smile:
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Design and develop sophisticated 2D games that are as much fun to make as they are to play. From particle effects and pathfinding to soci...
New
AstonJ
Do the test and post your score :nerd_face: :keyboard: If possible, please add info such as the keyboard you’re using, the layout (Qw...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build highly interactive applications without ever leaving Elixir, the way the experts do. Let LiveView take care of performance, scalabi...
New
Maartz
Hi folks, I don’t know if I saw this here but, here’s a new programming language, called Roc Reminds me a bit of Elm and thus Haskell. ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Mike Riley @mriley This month, we turn the spotlight on Mike Riley, author of Portable Python Projects. Mike’s book ...
New
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Develop, deploy, and debug BEAM applications using BEAMOps: a new paradigm that focuses on scalability, fault tolerance, and owning each ...
New
AstonJ
This is a very quick guide, you just need to: Download LM Studio: https://lmstudio.ai/ Click on search Type DeepSeek, then select the o...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Overarching tutorial for Python beginner and intermediate developers that teaches web development with the Flask framework. Miguel Gr...
New