mafinar

mafinar

Advent of Code 2023 - Day 1

Hello! Advent of Year 2023 is upon us and like past few years, I’ll be opening threads discussing each year’s problems.

Day 1 was today. This was a rather interesting challenge for a day 1. Not as easy as others and the puzzle came with some sneaky edge cases. But regular expressions ftw!

Also this is the first time I am using Scala (or any other language than Elixir) to solve it. While I did not know how to deal with lookahead on Scala Regex (shame on me), I did quite a nifty trick. Then I went ahead and did Elixir too.

Scala Version

advent-of-scala/src/main/scala/advent_of_scala/2023/Day01.scala at main · code-shoily/advent-of-scala (github.com)

Elixir Version

advent_of_code/lib/2023/day_01.ex at master · code-shoily/advent_of_code (github.com)

There is an interesting difference - Scala one uses two regex patterns (one inverse of the other) while Elixir uses the simpler lookahead regex. I blame my lack of Scala library knowledge here.

See on around Day 2.

Where Next?

Popular Backend topics Top

New
New
bot
Add sound to your Python game. This is part 13 in an ongoing series about creating video games in Python 3 using the Pygame module. Prev...
New
First poster: bot
The Emerging Architectures for Modern Data Infrastructure. Five years ago, if you were building a system, it was a result of the code yo...
New
New
ariandanim
Hello, i am facing difficult using webpack when to install within phoenix framework 1.5.7 because the webpack is still version 4.x.x inf...
New
First poster: bot
proposal: Go 2: permit types to say they may only be created by containing package · Issue #43123 · golang/go. It would be useful to per...
New
New
mafinar
I wrote a blog post! On F#. I usually don’t write things but figured i should try it out, also experimenting with F# and C# lately, love ...
New
mafinar
I’ll be participating. This would be very interesting because I have been having coders block + a lot of distraction this weekend. But l...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Free and open source software is the default choice for the technologies that run our world, and it’s built and maintained by people like...
New
AstonJ
You might be thinking we should just ask who’s not using VSCode :joy: however there are some new additions in the space that might give V...
New
Rainer
My first contact with Erlang was about 2 years ago when I used RabbitMQ, which is written in Erlang, for my job. This made me curious and...
New
AstonJ
poll poll Be sure to check out @Dusty’s article posted here: An Introduction to Alternative Keyboard Layouts It’s one of the best write-...
New
AstonJ
Do the test and post your score :nerd_face: :keyboard: If possible, please add info such as the keyboard you’re using, the layout (Qw...
New
DevotionGeo
The V Programming Language Simple language for building maintainable programs V is already mentioned couple of times in the forum, but I...
New
AstonJ
We’ve talked about his book briefly here but it is quickly becoming obsolete - so he’s decided to create a series of 7 podcasts, the firs...
New
AstonJ
If you want a quick and easy way to block any website on your Mac using Little Snitch simply… File > New Rule: And select Deny, O...
New
First poster: bot
zig/http.zig at 7cf2cbb33ef34c1d211135f56d30fe23b6cacd42 · ziglang/zig. General-purpose programming language and toolchain for maintaini...
New
AstonJ
If you’re getting errors like this: psql: error: connection to server on socket “/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432” failed: No such file or directory ...
New