justinjunodev

justinjunodev

Share your command line shortcuts, aliases, profiles, etc

Hey Devs! :wave:

About a month ago, I got a new machine (MAC) and am in the process of setting up/revising my command line shortcuts. I know a lot of this will vary, based on the work/technologies you use on the daily basis, but are there any shortcuts, aliases, etc. that you couldn’t live without or have made your life easier?

Side Note:
For those who are new or interested in stepping up there terminal game, I use Hyper for my terminal and Oh My Zsh for it’s magic. Here is a decent article covering basic aliases, etc for getting started.

Most Liked

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

My aliases are pretty boring but I’d recommend you a few newer tools to make your way around the console much easier.

Suppose you want to quickly scan the directory you are in for a textual pattern, regardless of which file it is in. You’ll need the Rust stack, then skim and ripgrep (or the silver searcher) and then you can make an alias like this:

# If you want to use ripgrep:
alias skrg='sk --ansi -i -c "rg --color=always --line-number --ignore-case {}"'

# If you want to use the silver searcher:
alias skag='sk --ansi -i -c "ag --color {}"'

Then you get inside a project’s directory, type one of the both commands (skrg or skag) and you literally start typing the pattern you want found in any of the source files – you get instantaneous realtime feedback as you go. You can select one or many files and when you quit the tool it will output all selected files – so if you don’t want to only eyeball the results but actually feed them to another tool you can just pipe the command to something else.

This is of course a regular feature for IDEs but since I don’t use VSCode – and I still haven’t installed Spacemacs – these make my life easier.

ripgrep itself I use for several months now and I absolutely prefer it compared to grep.

I also replaced GNU/BSD’s find with Rust’s fd and I am very happy with it.

I use several other Rust tools but this comment will get way too big.

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

My .zshrc file is utterly huge. I also use OMZ but I’ve added so much stuff to my rc file, especially aliases, that I’ve found useful over time, though a lot have personal things in them so I’d have to go over each to make sure it’s “safe” to post, plus I have so many it’s easier to pick out things that do specific things as wanted for others. ^.^;

Here are some of my most used ones though but significantly not all:

alias digall='dig +nocmd any +multiline +noall +answer'

alias git-pristine='git clean --force -xd && git reset --hard'

alias diff-color='git diff --no-index'
alias diff-char='git diff --word-diff=color --word-diff-regex=. --no-index'
function diff-factorio-binary() {
        [[ -z "$1" ]] && echo "Missing first argument of <left-file>" && exit 1
        [[ -z "$2" ]] && echo "Missing second argument of <right-file>" && exit 2
        [[ -z "$3" ]] || echo "Too many arguments, ignoreing all but first two"
        #colordiff <(tr -c '[:print:]' '\n' < "$1" | tr "\\>" ">\n" | tr "," ",\n") <(tr -c '[:print:]' '\n' < "$2" | tr "\\>" ">\n" | tr "," ",\n")
        colordiff <(python -c 'import sys;print(repr(open(sys.argv[1]).read().replace(",", ",\n").replace(">", ">\n")).replace("\\n", "\n"))' "$1") \
                  <(python -c 'import sys;print(repr(open(sys.argv[1]).read().replace(",", ",\n").replace(">", ">\n")).replace("\\n", "\n"))' "$2")
}

alias emax='emacsclient -c' # Open in new X-Windows
alias emat='emacsclient -t' # Open in current terminal
alias emacs-stop='systemctl --user stop emacs.service'
alias emacs-start='systemctl --user start emacs.service'
#alias emacs-restart='systemctl --user restart emacs.service' # It's not setup for a restart command
export VISUAL='emacsclient -c'
export EDITOR='emacsclient -t'
alias weather='curl wttr.in'
# Can also specify location specifically, it uses IP address by default:
# alias weather='curl wttr.in/Longdon'
# Or ask for help:  curl wttr.in/:help
# Single-line output:
alias weathr='curl wttr.in/?format="%l:+%c+%t+%h+%m%M"'


ix() {
    local opts
    local OPTIND
    [ -f "$HOME/.netrc" ] && opts='-n'
    while getopts ":hd:i:n:" x; do
        case $x in
            h) echo "ix [-d ID] [-i ID] [-n N] [opts]"; return;;
            d) $echo curl $opts -X DELETE ix.io/$OPTARG; return;;
            i) opts="$opts -X PUT"; local id="$OPTARG";; 
            n) opts="$opts -F read:1=$OPTARG";;
        esac
    done
    shift $(($OPTIND - 1))
    [ -t 0 ] && {
        local filename="$1"
        shift 
        [ "$filename" ] && {
            curl $opts -F f:1=@"$filename" $* ix.io/$id
            return
        }   
        echo "^C to cancel, ^D to send."
    }   
    curl $opts -F f:1='<-' $* ix.io/$id
}
AstonJ

AstonJ

PS1="[\W]\$ "
alias ll="ls -lahG"

alias code="cd /Users/Aston/projects/code"
alias home="cd /Users/Aston"
alias oss="cd /Users/Aston/projects/oss"
alias desktop="cd /Users/Aston/desktop"
alias some_project_name="cd /Users/Aston/projects/code/some_project_name"

alias reload=". ~/.zshrc"
alias profile="mate ~/.zshrc"
alias p="profile"

SERVER_ONE="IP.HERE"
SERVER_TWO="IP.HERE"
SERVER_THREE="IP.HERE"
(etc)

alias server_name="ssh root@$SERVER_ONE -p <PORT-NUM>"

alias showhidden="defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -boolean true ; killall Finder"
alias hidehidden="defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -boolean false ; killall Finder"
alias screengrab-jpg="defaults write com.apple.screencapture type jpg"
alias screengrab-png="defaults write com.apple.screencapture type png"
alias websharing="sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/org.apache.httpd.plist"
alias websharingoff="sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/org.apache.httpd.plist"

function gitinit {
	git init
	git add --all
	git commit -m ${1:-"Init repo"}
}

I also have some commands that push various updates and even deploy some Rails apps (instead of using something like Capistrano) :smiley:

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

AstonJ
If you had the ear of a language creator, what would you say - what could they do to make a language that you would use? :upside_down_face:
New
AstonJ
I just watched this: (tldr: remove bad choices so you don’t need to use willpower) It got me thinking about ways to incre...
New
AstonJ
Thought it might be worth having a dedicated thread for standing desk treadmills (for those interested, here’s our general thread on stan...
New
AstonJ
Curious to know which languages and frameworks you’re all thinking about learning next :upside_down_face: Perhaps if there’s enough peop...
New
finner
When you are under pressure to deliver you ideally want your Pull Request to be reviewed, approved and merged as quick as possible. So do...
New
Exadra37
I am a Linux user since 2012, more or less, and I always use Ubuntu on my computers, and my last 2 laptops have been used Thinkpads, wher...
New
OvermindDL1
What shell(s) do you use, why do you use them, and how do you have them configured? Note, this is about shell’s, not terminals, terminal...
New
Margaret
Hello everyone! This thread is to tell you about what authors from The Pragmatic Bookshelf are writing on Medium.
1147 29994 760
New
TwistingTwists
Hello Fellow developers, I have been trying to wrap my head around How difficult would it have been to be a dev 20-30 years ago? I have...
New
OvermindDL1
Maybe we need a thread of hosting providers we like and for what reasons. I personally like OVH, they are a very low level host (they re...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Machine learning can be intimidating, with its reliance on math and algorithms that most programmers don't encounter in their regular wor...
New
dasdom
No chair. I have a standing desk. This post was split into a dedicated thread from our thread about chairs :slight_smile:
New
AstonJ
You might be thinking we should just ask who’s not using VSCode :joy: however there are some new additions in the space that might give V...
New
Help
I am trying to crate a game for the Nintendo switch, I wanted to use Java as I am comfortable with that programming language. Can you use...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Rebecca Skinner @RebeccaSkinner Welcome to our latest author spotlight, where we sit down with Rebecca Skinner, auth...
New
AstonJ
If you want a quick and easy way to block any website on your Mac using Little Snitch simply… File &gt; New Rule: And select Deny, O...
New
husaindevelop
Inside our android webview app, we are trying to paste the copied content from another app eg (notes) using navigator.clipboard.readtext ...
New
First poster: bot
zig/http.zig at 7cf2cbb33ef34c1d211135f56d30fe23b6cacd42 · ziglang/zig. General-purpose programming language and toolchain for maintaini...
New
CommunityNews
A Brief Review of the Minisforum V3 AMD Tablet. Update: I have created an awesome-minisforum-v3 GitHub repository to list information fo...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
This book forgoes the abstract and instead provides concrete examples to help you better leverage the unique properties of Elixir, Erlang...
New