JacobTomaw

JacobTomaw

Python Brain Teasers: Teaser 3 wrong answer

For every minor version of Python 3 I can run the code against quickly this code prints 6.

❯ for minor in `seq 2 8`; do; echo "Python 3.$minor"
docker run -it python:3.$minor python -c "print(len('Kraków'))"
done
Python 3.2
6
Python 3.3
6
Python 3.4
6
Python 3.5
6
Python 3.6
6
Python 3.7
6
Python 3.8
6

Python 2.7 the answer is 7.
Am I doing something unexpected?

Most Liked

JacobTomaw

JacobTomaw

I did not doubt that you have tested the code.
Your file definitely has different chars in it. Below the file /tmp/krakow has your string on the first line and mine that I typed on my Mac. Yours is o + Combining Acute Accent and mine is Latin Small Letter O with Acute. If I needed to I am sure I could figure out how to type combining acute accent, but when working through the book and seeing a char i can type with two keystrokes on my mac (option + e, o) I am going to do that. It might be valuable to note this in the book in someway.

❯ more /tmp/krakow
Kraków
Kraków

❯ xxd -b -c9 /tmp/krakow
00000000: 01001011 01110010 01100001 01101011 01101111 11001100 10000001 01110111 00001010  Krako..w.
00000009: 01001011 01110010 01100001 01101011 11000011 10110011 01110111 00001010           Krak..w.

❯ xxd  -c9 /tmp/krakow
00000000: 4b72 616b 6fcc 8177 0a  Krako..w.
00000009: 4b72 616b c3b3 770a     Krak..w.
tebeka

tebeka

Author of Go Brain Teasers

Hi @JacobTomaw. It’s probably a problem in the encoding of the PDF (trust me, I tried :slight_smile: )
Take a look at the code in https://github.com/tebeka/python-brain-teasers and let me know if you have an issue - it prints 7 for me:

$ python --version
Python 3.8.3
$ python city.py  
7
tebeka

tebeka

Author of Go Brain Teasers

I do doubt myself :slight_smile:

I’ll think how to clarify this in the book. Thanks!

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

jimmykiang
This test is broken right out of the box… — FAIL: TestAgent (7.82s) agent_test.go:77: Error Trace: agent_test.go:77 agent_test.go:...
New
jamis
The following is cross-posted from the original Ray Tracer Challenge forum, from a post by garfieldnate. I’m cross-posting it so that the...
New
mikecargal
Title: Hands-On Rust (Chap 8 (Adding a Heads Up Display) It looks like ​.with_simple_console_no_bg​(SCREEN_WIDTH*2, SCREEN_HEIGHT*2...
New
raul
Hi Travis! Thank you for the cool book! :slight_smile: I made a list of issues and thought I could post them chapter by chapter. I’m rev...
New
AleksandrKudashkin
On the page xv there is an instruction to run bin/setup from the main folder. I downloaded the source code today (12/03/21) and can’t see...
New
brunogirin
When running tox for the first time, I got the following error: ERROR: InterpreterNotFound: python3.10 I realised that I was running ...
New
Keton
When running the program in chapter 8, “Implementing Combat”, the printout Health before attack was never printed so I assumed something ...
New
a.zampa
@mfazio23 I’m following the indications of the book and arriver ad chapter 10, but the app cannot be compiled due to an error in the Bas...
New
davetron5000
Hello faithful readers! If you have tried to follow along in the book, you are asked to start up the dev environment via dx/build and ar...
New
dachristenson
@mfazio23 Android Studio will not accept anything I do when trying to use the Transformations class, as described on pp. 140-141. Googl...
New

Other popular topics Top

Devtalk
Reading something? Working on something? Planning something? Changing jobs even!? If you’re up for sharing, please let us know what you’...
1063 24245 395
New
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Andy and Dave wrote this influential, classic book to help their clients create better software and rediscover the joy of coding. Almost ...
New
AstonJ
Or looking forward to? :nerd_face:
503 15149 280
New
dasdom
No chair. I have a standing desk. This post was split into a dedicated thread from our thread about chairs :slight_smile:
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Create efficient, elegant software tests in pytest, Python's most powerful testing framework. Brian Okken @brianokken Edited by Kat...
New
AstonJ
This is a very quick guide, you just need to: Download LM Studio: https://lmstudio.ai/ Click on search Type DeepSeek, then select the o...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Fight complexity and reclaim the original spirit of agility by learning to simplify how you develop software. The result: a more humane a...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Use advanced functional programming principles, practical Domain-Driven Design techniques, and production-ready Elixir code to build scal...
New
xiji2646-netizen
There’s a GitHub repo at forrestchang/andrej-karpathy-skills that’s sitting at 97.8k stars. It’s a single CLAUDE.md file with four behavi...
New

Sub Categories: