Exadra37

Exadra37

Geo-Replication in Apache Pulsar, Part 1: Concepts and Features

https://www.splunk.com/en_us/blog/it/geo-replication-in-apache-pulsar-part-1-concepts-and-features.html

Geo-replication is a typical mechanism used to provide disaster recovery. A lot of data systems claim to support geo-replication. However, these systems generally only replicate to 2 data centers and have severe limitations when replicating to more than two.

The geo-replication mechanisms used in different data systems can be put into two categories, synchronous geo-replication and asynchronous geo-replication. Apache Pulsar supports both geo-replication strategies.

In this example, assume there are 3 data centers: us-west, us-central and us-east, while a client is issuing a write request to us-central. In the synchronous geo-replication case, when the client issues a write request to us-central, the data written to us-central will be replicated to the other two data centers, both us-west and us-east.
The write request is typically only acknowledged to the client when the majority of the data centers have issued a confirmation that the write has been persisted. In this case, at least 2 data centers have to confirm that this write request has been persisted. This mechanism is called “sync geo-replication” because the data is synchronously replicated to multiple data centers and the client has to wait for an acknowledgement from the other data centers.

In contrast, with asynchronous geo-replication the client doesn’t have to wait for a response from the other data centers. The client receives a response immediately after us-central successfully persists the data. The data is then replicated from us-central to the other two data centers, us-west and us-east, in an asynchronous fashion.

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

Devtalk
Hello Devtalk World! Please let us know a little about who you are and where you’re from :nerd_face:
New
AstonJ
Which apps do you think are killing it right now? Either from a technical perspective or ones that you like personally or feel have been...
New
chasekaylee
Hi everyone! I have been in the professional industry for ~2 years now coming from a boot camp. I started a base foundation by programmin...
New
Exadra37
Cloudflare as workers to run serverless code without using containers: So it seems that Isolates is based on: What we ended up settl...
New
chasekaylee
Just like the title says :smiley: which courses you find that have had the most impact in the span of your career as a developer?
New
mafinar
I always start with excitement and then get busy on 9/10th day. This year, like the year before this, and the year before that, I intend ...
New
ohm
I just switched jobs to tech lead with a small team of about 6 other developer. This is my first tech lead job. What do I need to know? A...
New
AstonJ
Just wondering whether you have a preference (I know I do!) poll
New
jaeyson
Hi all, does anybody tried Shankar Devy’s Phoenix Inside Out book series? Also, will there be a big difference (aside from context prior...
New
Margaret
Hello DevTalk Community! Once again, The Pragmatic Programmers are looking for developers who’d like to help shape the future of our boo...
New

Other popular topics Top

DevotionGeo
I know that these benchmarks might not be the exact picture of real-world scenario, but still I expect a Rust web framework performing a ...
New
AstonJ
You might be thinking we should just ask who’s not using VSCode :joy: however there are some new additions in the space that might give V...
New
Exadra37
Oh just spent so much time on this to discover now that RancherOS is in end of life but Rancher is refusing to mark the Github repo as su...
New
New
New
AnfaengerAlex
Hello, I’m a beginner in Android development and I’m facing an issue with my project setup. In my build.gradle.kts file, I have the foll...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A masterclass in the fundamentals and principles of functional programming. Minh Quang Tran The Art of Functional Programming is a ma...
New
AstonJ
This is a very quick guide, you just need to: Download LM Studio: https://lmstudio.ai/ Click on search Type DeepSeek, then select the o...
New
RobertRichards
Hair Salon Games for Girls Fun Girls Hair Saloon game is mainly developed for kids. This game allows users to select virtual avatars to ...
New
xiji2646-netizen
Woke up to this today: Claude Code’s complete source code exposed via npm source map. Not a snippet. All 512,000 lines. 1,900 TypeScript ...
New