jbcrail

jbcrail

Effective Haskell: typos, grammar, and punctuation (Chapter 2 - pdf B1.0)

To be more concise and minimize the number of threads, I grouped the suggested corrections into one post.

A few notes on how I structured this post:

  • Corrections are ordered by page number.
  • All page references are for the PDF edition.
  • Modified words or sentences are highlighted in bold when appropriate.

On page 25,

…how to work with lists using high order functions…

should be

…how to work with lists using higher order functions…

On page 26,

…prepending an element to a list is much more efficent than…

should be

…prepending an element to a list is much more efficient than…

On page 26,

Later on on page 53 you’ll learn…

should be

Later on page 53 you’ll learn…

On page 28,

When you’re creating a list recusively in this way…

should be

When you’re creating a list recursively in this way…

On page 28,

…countdown from a starting number using this techinque.

should be

…countdown from a starting number using this technique.

On page 29,

To make our code more ergonimic to use…

should be

To make our code more ergonomic to use…

On page 29,

In the case offactors we’re calculating…

should be

In the case of factors we’re calculating…

On page 29,

The recursive part of our function handled…

should be

The recursive part of our function is handled…

On page 30,

If the modulous is 0 then we’ve found a factor.

should be

If the modulus is 0, then we’ve found a factor.

(note: I’ve also added a comma between “0” and “then”)

On page 32,

Later on in on page 107 you’ll learn…

should be

Later on page 107 you’ll learn…

On page 33,

They both return accumulator on an empty list…

should be

They both return an accumulator on an empty list…

On page 33,

…let’s pretend to be the compiler and use some pseduo-Haskell…

should be

…let’s pretend to be the compiler and use some pseudo-Haskell…

On page 35,

Like folding, appliying a function to ever element in a list…

should be

Like folding, applying a function to every element in a list…

On page 39,

…where a is an element of bs, and b is odd".

should be

…where a is an element of bs, and b is odd."

(note: I’ve moved the quote after the period.)

On page 44,

…replace the first or second elements if the match some special case…

should be

…replace the first or second elements if they match some special case…

On page 46,

More specifically, Haskell uses is a form of laziness…

should be

More specifically, Haskell uses a form of laziness…

(note: I’ve removed “is” from the original sentence.)

On page 49,

In fact, we while our first attempt to calculate…

should be

In fact, while our first attempt to calculate…

(note: I’ve removed “we” from the original sentence.)

Most Liked

RebeccaSkinner

RebeccaSkinner

Author of Effective Haskell

Thanks for this! I’m actively working on the first batch of revisions and I’ll make sure to address these.

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

telemachus
Python Testing With Pytest - Chapter 2, warnings for “unregistered custom marks” While running the smoke tests in Chapter 2, I get these...
New
leonW
I ran this command after installing the sample application: $ cards add do something --owner Brian And got a file not found error: Fil...
New
patoncrispy
I’m new to Rust and am using this book to learn more as well as to feed my interest in game dev. I’ve just finished the flappy dragon exa...
New
jskubick
I’m under the impression that when the reader gets to page 136 (“View Data with the Database Inspector”), the code SHOULD be able to buil...
New
creminology
Skimming ahead, much of the following is explained in Chapter 3, but new readers (like me!) will hit a roadblock in Chapter 2 with their ...
New
kolossal
Hi, I need some help, I’m new to rust and was learning through your book. but I got stuck at the last stage of distribution. Whenever I t...
New
tkhobbes
After some hassle, I was able to finally run bin/setup, now I have started the rails server but I get this error message right when I vis...
New
dtonhofer
@parrt In the context of Chapter 4.3, the grammar Java.g4, meant to parse Java 6 compilation units, no longer passes ANTLR (currently 4....
New
redconfetti
Docker-Machine became part of the Docker Toolbox, which was deprecated in 2020, long after Docker Desktop supported Docker Engine nativel...
New
SlowburnAZ
Getting an error when installing the dependencies at the start of this chapter: could not compile dependency :exla, "mix compile" failed...
New

Other popular topics Top

New
AstonJ
Or looking forward to? :nerd_face:
503 15149 280
New
dasdom
No chair. I have a standing desk. This post was split into a dedicated thread from our thread about chairs :slight_smile:
New
AstonJ
I’ve been hearing quite a lot of comments relating to the sound of a keyboard, with one of the most desirable of these called ‘thock’, he...
New
DevotionGeo
The V Programming Language Simple language for building maintainable programs V is already mentioned couple of times in the forum, but I...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Use WebRTC to build web applications that stream media and data in real time directly from one user to another, all in the browser. ...
New
AstonJ
If you get Can't find emacs in your PATH when trying to install Doom Emacs on your Mac you… just… need to install Emacs first! :lol: bre...
New
New
New
NewsBot
Node.js v22.14.0 has been released. Link: Release 2025-02-11, Version 22.14.0 'Jod' (LTS), @aduh95 · nodejs/node · GitHub
New

Sub Categories: