DevotionGeo

DevotionGeo

Formatting your Erlang code in Visual Studio Code

There are 3 main formatters for Erlang which you can use from the command-line,

Visual Studio Code’s extension called Erlang Formatter uses these formatters to format Erlang code on save or when the shortcut keys combination is pressed which is Shift + Alt + F on Windows, Shift + Option + F on Mac and Ctrl + Shift + I on Linux.
(Note: the erlang extension also tries to format Erlang code, but it wasn’t working for me, and it doesn’t have any setting to set the desired formatter).

Following were the steps I used to make it work (all the settings and instructions can be found at Github READMEs of Erlang Formatter for VSCode and rebar3_format, and the Getting Started Page of rebar3, but I’m trying to make it a tiny bit less confusing than how I found it).

  1. Install rebar3:
    If you already have Elixir installed, chances are that there is a rebar3 binary somewhere in that installation. Mine was at ~/.asdf/installs/elixir/1.10.4-otp-23/.mix/rebar3 as I use asdf for version management. In that case you can run the following command, replacing the path with the path to rebar3 on your machine, or can go to the directory where rebar3 is located and run as ./rebar3.
    -> ~/.asdf/installs/elixir/1.10.4-otp-23/.mix/rebar3 local install

    Then add export PATH=$PATH:~/.cache/rebar3/bin to your .bashrc or .zshrc. And after that run the second command as,
    -> rebar3 local upgrade
    (this time you don’t need to add ./ or the complete path to the command, as rebar3 (the new copy) is already installed to ~/.cache/rebar3/lib and is added to the path).

    Alternatively you can run the following commands to install from source.
    -> git clone https://github.com/erlang/rebar3.git
    -> cd rebar3
    -> ./bootstrap
    -> ./rebar3 local install
    Don’t forget to add export PATH=$PATH:~/.cache/rebar3/bin to your .bashrc or .zshrc.

  2. Create a rebar.config file under ~/config/rebar3/ or simply run the following comand in the terminal.
    -> code ~/.config/rebar3/rebar.config
    which will open a rebar.config file under ~/.config/rebar3/ in vscode.
    Add the format configuration to this file. You can find the configuration options at the rebar3_format README at Github.
    Following is my rebar.config (notice the comments).

{plugins, [rebar3_format]}.
{format, [
    {files, ["**/*.erl"]},
    {formatter, default_formatter},
    {options, #{
        % paper => 100,
        % inline_qualified_function_composition => true,
        % inline_simple_funs => true,
        % inline_items => all,
        % inline_attributes => all,
        % inline_expressions => true,
        inline_clause_bodies => true
    }}
]}.
  1. Install the VSCode extension Erlang Formatter, if not installed already, and add the following settings to your settings.json.
  "[erlang]": {
    "editor.tabSize": 4,
    "editor.defaultFormatter": "szTheory.erlang-formatter",
    "editor.formatOnSave": true
  },
  "erlangFormatter.formatter": "rebar3_format",

I wanted to have a 2 spaces tab size for Erlang, but looks like it’s a setting of rebar3_format which can’t be overridden, so I set it to 4 spaces in the editor too, so that the indent guides don’t look off.

Edit: There is a setting break_indent, which can be used to have 2 space indents instead of 4.

(Note: feel free to edit this post).

Most Liked

AstonJ

AstonJ

Nice one - thanks for writing this up DG! :+1:

I’ve made it a wiki for you too - if anyone edits it you’ll be sent a notification :nerd_face:

DevotionGeo

DevotionGeo

You’re welcome and thank you! :slight_smile:

DevotionGeo

DevotionGeo

I changed the Erlang formatter from rebar3_format to erlfmt and it proved to be a lot better than rebar3_format.
The rebar.config contains only one line now, which is {plugins, [erlfmt]}.

Where Next?

Popular Backend topics Top

New
New
New
First poster: bot
When I need to configure something in a complicated way, I find myself reviewing the embedded language that provided the server to create...
New
First poster: bot
In a previous post we talked about implementing a simple video chat with WebRTC and Elixir. This update will touch on some of the API cha...
New
AstonJ
Just finished doing a clean install of macOS (which I highly recommend btw!) and have updated my macOS Ruby & Elixir/Erlang dev env s...
New
paulanthonywilson
I had a bit of a mini-adventure following Sobelow’s advice on adding a CSP to a Phoenix App. If you want to follow along, or want to add ...
New
First poster: bot
Like, on a scale from c to rust? issue c zig (release-safe) rust (release) out-of-bounds heap read/write none runtime runtime ...
New
First poster: bot
Our blog has had a long standing interest in novel uses of the BEAM, or Erlang virtual machine, as shown by the many articles we have pub...
New
MarcinKasprowicz
Elixir language viewed from the perspective of a JavaScript developer. I compared selected aspects of the two languages and touched on to...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Machine learning can be intimidating, with its reliance on math and algorithms that most programmers don't encounter in their regular wor...
New
AstonJ
Or looking forward to? :nerd_face:
503 15149 280
New
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Use WebRTC to build web applications that stream media and data in real time directly from one user to another, all in the browser. ...
New
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Explore the power of Ash Framework by modeling and building the domain for a real-world web application. Rebecca Le @sevenseacat and ...
New
RobertRichards
Hair Salon Games for Girls Fun Girls Hair Saloon game is mainly developed for kids. This game allows users to select virtual avatars to ...
New
mindriot
Ok, well here are some thoughts and opinions on some of the ergonomic keyboards I have, I guess like mini review of each that I use enoug...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Use advanced functional programming principles, practical Domain-Driven Design techniques, and production-ready Elixir code to build scal...
New
CommunityNews
Open-source implementation of the classic GTA engine now running directly in your browser. Experience the reVC technology demo on DOS.Zon...
New