OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

Apple's apps bypass firewalls like LittleSnitch and LuLu on MacOS

So it seems that Apple removed the network firewall API a while back and replaced it with another, firewall apps adapted, and come to find out the Apple official apps are bypassing that new interface in full, so the Firewall sees nothing.

Hackernews link at:

Most Liked

AstonJ

AstonJ

From the first comment:

Some people are smart, informed developers that install a trusted tool to monitor their traffic and have legitimate reasons to want to inspect Apple traffic. They’re dismayed.

Most people are the opposite and this move protects the most sensitive data from being easily scooped up or muddled in easily installed apps, or at least easily installed apps that don’t use zero days.

Then why can’t Apple just add something like LittleSnitch which allows us to decide? They are already doing this for things like giving apps access to certain files and folders by specifically asking for permission. Maybe it’s about time Apple offered us an ‘expert’ mode - and stopped lumping all users together?

For the most part I give apps zero access to the internet unless it’s something like a browser (and even then I do it per session if it’s not my regular browser). I find it really annoying when some apps want to periodically check their licence key too - they should only need to check it once per install or update. I really dislike the way apps collect data about us like its ok - it’s not.

This is one of the reasons I am not keen on VSCode - it keeps dialing out even tho I have turned off all the auto-updates etc (and also why I am thinking about giving Onivim a go).

Where Next?

Popular Macos topics Top

OvermindDL1
So it seems that Apple removed the network firewall API a while back and replaced it with another, firewall apps adapted, and come to fin...
New
AstonJ
Just over an hour to go… anyone going to be watching it? New Macs? :nerd_face:
New
AstonJ
Thought it might be interesting to have a thread for any unusual bugs we might come across…
New
MikhailPertsev
Hi there! Do you use any “clean up” app like CleanMyMac X ? If yes, what is those apps?
New
New
AstonJ
New Macs look good! Tho I hate the notch - why does it have to be so big? Will be interested in seeing reviews of real world usage and w...
New
AstonJ
If you want a quick and easy way to block any website on your Mac using Little Snitch simply… File > New Rule: And select Deny, O...
New
New
d1bg12
Hello, Apple developers! I want to upload an app to testflight, but I’m having the issue from the picture and I can’t get around it. Ha...
New
AstonJ
Just looking through my settings and noticed that Help Apple Improve Search was checked - yet I am almost certain that I did not opt-in t...
New

Other popular topics Top

Devtalk
Hello Devtalk World! Please let us know a little about who you are and where you’re from :nerd_face:
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Ruby, Io, Prolog, Scala, Erlang, Clojure, Haskell. With Seven Languages in Seven Weeks, by Bruce A. Tate, you’ll go beyond the syntax—and...
New
AstonJ
Just done a fresh install of macOS Big Sur and on installing Erlang I am getting: asdf install erlang 23.1.2 Configure failed. checking ...
New
foxtrottwist
A few weeks ago I started using Warp a terminal written in rust. Though in it’s current state of development there are a few caveats (tab...
New
New
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build modern server-driven web applications using htmx. Whatever programming language you use, you’ll write less (and cleaner) code. ...
New
CommunityNews
A Brief Review of the Minisforum V3 AMD Tablet. Update: I have created an awesome-minisforum-v3 GitHub repository to list information fo...
New
AnfaengerAlex
Hello, I’m a beginner in Android development and I’m facing an issue with my project setup. In my build.gradle.kts file, I have the foll...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Escape callback hell and ship fast, clean code that reads as smoothly as it runs. Squash bugs and stamp out memory leaks with an intuitiv...
New