lawik

lawik

What languages seem reliable to you?

Spending my time in the Elixir/Erlang world has shifted my focus onto reliability as a central criteria in selecting tech. I had some such tendencies before, preferring Postgres to the NoSQL hype when that was a thing.

But now I’m thinking about the programming languages I look at for reliability where I feel like the language and ecosystem has priorities that align with mine.

I tend to lump the Elixir/Erlang/BEAM ecosystem in with some other languages. Specifically Rust which seems like the future for native extension in Elixir. And then we have Go which seems to be great for self-contained binaries and very popular for some types of devops infrastructure projects (such as the Rancher stuff, k3s, rio…). I don’t code in Rust or Go currently. But I sense a kind of kinship in aggregate from reading about and using software from those ecosystems.

Do you have another constellation you’d consider belong together? Do you feel like my estimation about these languages and their priorities are mostly right, mostly wrong?

Most Liked

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Go is like a modern Python + a shell scripting language and it is quite good at that but do have in mind that complete reliability and type safety aren’t its first priorities. It was designed to be mostly easy to pick up by former C++ and Java engineers (source: unofficial testimonials from people who chatted with the creators long ago, shared on HN). This severely reduces its potential usefulness as a good native bridge from higher-level languages despite continuous heroic efforts like cgo.

This doesn’t detract from its usefulness in general. A lot of excellent programs have already been written in Go. I just get kind of nervous about when will the security researches start finding easy ways to pwn Go programs, but let’s see what the future brings.


As for Rust, I share your assessment – it’s indeed a very good native bridge and not only for Elixir. It has an amazing tool that allows it to parse existing C/C++ header files and generate Rust wrappers for almost any [well-written and following good practices] native C/C++ library. From then on it’s not much work to make a few hand adjustments and boom, you have a Rust wrapper towards insert-existing-well-known-native-library-here.

That makes it an excellent tool to both (1) provide a gradual migration path towards pure Rust should the original C/C++ authors choose to go down that path and (2) still give a Rust developer as close to the original library code as possible in the meantime. And that’s not even mentioning how amazingly good a language Rust is.


As for other such seemingly natural pairs as Elixir and Rust, I am not sure but I am curious myself.

lawik

lawik

Hmm, your notes on Go are interesting. I think what I’m appreciating from the Go side might not strictly be about reliability. It might be some of the other values that seem to come from the community, performant, portable, high performance and also, from what I hear, quite friendly as a community. Also, the idea of designing a simplistic language which I gather to be part of Go appeals to me.

Go is not really on my radar to learn but there seems to be a lot of software that comes written in Go that I’m happy to use. Simple static binaries, old school but modern if you put them next to C and NodeJS. I’m trying to capture some ineffable qualities here I realize.

Ted

Ted

Ah, gotcha; thanks for elaborating!

Yeah, I feel fortunate that I didn’t get sucked into the hype for Enterprise Java Beans, although I’m under the impression it’s been greatly overhauled in recent years.

Libraries that return Object references and expect the programmer to correctly type cast them are indeed annoying. I tend to abstract this away behind wrapper functions but I’d much rather not feel compelled to do so in the first place.

Probably all of the above. :laughing: I recall hearing horror stories in the early days of Maven where developers would spend more time wrestling with pom.xml than writing code.

Many Java libraries now offer the option to configure via @annotations instead of XML, e.g. Spring, but XML is still very common in the Java ecosystem.

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

AstonJ
What chair do you have while working… and why? Is there a ‘best’ type of chair or working position for developers?
New
AstonJ
In your opinion which programming languages are simple to use and easy to get started wither those who don’t have a computer science bac...
New
AstonJ
Always interested in seeing what apps people use and how they organise their phones/home screens! Here’s mine…
New
AstonJ
Great paper by Igor Kopestenski on Erlang and GRiSP: Erlang as an Enabling Technology for Resilient General-Purpose Applications on Edge ...
New
mafinar
I always start with excitement and then get busy on 9/10th day. This year, like the year before this, and the year before that, I intend ...
New
AstonJ
Hi everyone… I’m so sorry about the delay in getting this thread up, I’ve just been so busy :see_no_evil: Are there any book clubs you’d...
New
Margaret
Hello everyone! This thread is to tell you about what authors from The Pragmatic Bookshelf are writing on Medium.
1147 29994 760
New
harwind
I’m working on a C++ program where I need to convert a string containing a numeric value into an integer. I want to ensure that this conv...
New
AstonJ
Thought this would be a nice way to start the year - have you seen or written a function (or method) or piece of code that you are partic...
New
AntonRich
I don’t know what happened today. But I just started reading SICP which I meant to do for a long time. The book itself: I’m not even s...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Instantly view the changes you make to an app with stateful hot reload, and define a declarative UI in the same language as the app logic...
New
New
DevotionGeo
I know that these benchmarks might not be the exact picture of real-world scenario, but still I expect a Rust web framework performing a ...
New
brentjanderson
Bought the Moonlander mechanical keyboard. Cherry Brown MX switches. Arms and wrists have been hurting enough that it’s time I did someth...
New
DevotionGeo
I know that -t flag is used along with -i flag for getting an interactive shell. But I cannot digest what the man page for docker run com...
New
AstonJ
Just done a fresh install of macOS Big Sur and on installing Erlang I am getting: asdf install erlang 23.1.2 Configure failed. checking ...
New
DevotionGeo
The V Programming Language Simple language for building maintainable programs V is already mentioned couple of times in the forum, but I...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Create efficient, elegant software tests in pytest, Python's most powerful testing framework. Brian Okken @brianokken Edited by Kat...
New
First poster: AstonJ
Jan | Rethink the Computer. Jan turns your computer into an AI machine by running LLMs locally on your computer. It’s a privacy-focus, l...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
This book forgoes the abstract and instead provides concrete examples to help you better leverage the unique properties of Elixir, Erlang...
New