CommunityNews

CommunityNews

State of JavaScript 2020

As crappy as 2020 was, JavaScript as a whole still managed to somehow move forward. As the language itself keeps improving thanks to new features like Optional Chaining and Nullish Coalescing, TypeScript’s widespread adoption is taking things to a whole other level by popularizing static typing.

And on the framework side, just when we thought things were settling down, Svelte comes in and shakes everything up with a fresh take on the front-end. And even build tools are showing signs of new activity after years of webpack dominance.

But the difference this time is that the “old” guard –relatively speaking– is not going anywhere. Svelte and Snowpack are great, but so are React and webpack. And sure, they too will eventually fall prey to the Great JavaScript Churn, but not for many, many years.

So let’s enjoy what we have here: a great ecosystem that just keeps getting even better!

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

/js

Where Next?

Popular Frontend topics Top

First poster: bot
Why I Love Tailwind. Why Tailwind is blowing up, why I (the creator of styled-components) love it and how I avoid the downsides of atomi...
New
First poster: bot
As crappy as 2020 was, JavaScript as a whole still managed to somehow move forward. As the language itself keeps improving thanks to new ...
/js
New
First poster: AstonJ
The world of web animations has become a sprawling jungle of tools and technologies. Libraries like GSAP and Framer Motion and React Spri...
New
First poster: bot
Just one year before the first web page went live in 1991, Microsoft began shipping perhaps the most well-known icon font, Wingdings. How...
New
First poster: bot
ReScript, née BuckleScript, is a state-of-the-art compiler that used to target OCaml (and Reason), but is fast moving away from its paren...
New
First poster: bot
This is a guide for starting a TypeScript project in 2021 with modern tooling. TypeScript 4 Optionally esbuild to bundle for browsers (...
New
First poster: bot
Here’s what I think: if you are building websites, you don’t need React (in most cases). I have been building websites for over nine yea...
New
First poster: OvermindDL1
I have to admit: as I’ve watched Tailwind enthusiastically adopted by more and more of the frontend community, I’ve remained skeptical. B...
New
szajbus
Monaco is state-of-the-art browser-based code editor that powers VS Code. Let’s see how to integrate it with Phoenix LiveView using esbuild.
New
sundi
Learn to customize the Error HTML module in Phoenix LiveView, while enhancing the UX and retaining the typed URLs on branded 404 pages. ...
New

Other popular topics Top

Devtalk
Reading something? Working on something? Planning something? Changing jobs even!? If you’re up for sharing, please let us know what you’...
1063 24245 395
New
New
DevotionGeo
I know that -t flag is used along with -i flag for getting an interactive shell. But I cannot digest what the man page for docker run com...
New
Rainer
My first contact with Erlang was about 2 years ago when I used RabbitMQ, which is written in Erlang, for my job. This made me curious and...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build efficient applications that exploit the unique benefits of a pure functional language, learning from an engineer who uses Haskell t...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Mike Riley @mriley This month, we turn the spotlight on Mike Riley, author of Portable Python Projects. Mike’s book ...
New
AstonJ
If you want a quick and easy way to block any website on your Mac using Little Snitch simply… File > New Rule: And select Deny, O...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build modern server-driven web applications using htmx. Whatever programming language you use, you’ll write less (and cleaner) code. ...
New
AstonJ
This is cool! DEEPSEEK-V3 ON M4 MAC: BLAZING FAST INFERENCE ON APPLE SILICON We just witnessed something incredible: the largest open-s...
New
AstonJ
Curious what kind of results others are getting, I think actually prefer the 7B model to the 32B model, not only is it faster but the qua...
New