CommunityNews

CommunityNews

Tailwind is a Leaky Abstraction

I have to admit: as I’ve watched Tailwind enthusiastically adopted by more and more of the frontend community, I’ve remained skeptical. But, having never used it, I decided to keep quiet until I had an informed opinion.

Well, I’ve spent the past few months at work learning Tailwind with an open mind. I can now confidently say that I do, in fact, dislike Tailwind, and I wouldn’t use it for any new projects.

Tailwind is commonly described as “utility classes”, but that’s a bit of an understatement. It’s essentially a small language you write in the class attributes of your HTML that compiles to a combination of CSS rules and selectors — an abstraction over CSS. But all abstractions leak, and Tailwind is very leaky.

Read in full here:

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

Most Liked

faust

faust

Oh, nice one, unfortunately I don’t own this book so I won’t be able to take part on it, but I’m looking forward for some future opportunity =)
It seems a great idea to keep people motivated.

faust

faust

Oh, nice!
I just love this forum more each day :blush:
I’ll PM you
Thanks!

gflashner

gflashner

Maybe it is just me, but I really didn’t enjoy working with Tailwind utility classes. I am not a CSS expert, but I still like working with plain CSS.

Where Next?

Popular Frontend topics Top

First poster: bot
Vue vs React: Best Choice for Startups. “I just have one question for you: Why Vue? I hope you’re not rolling your eyes thinking - “ah n...
New
First poster: bot
JavaScript allows calling a function with a different number of arguments than the expected number of parameters, i.e., one can pass fewe...
/js
New
First poster: bot
How I built a telnet chat server in 2021 with WebAssembly. I love the aesthetics of terminals and I’m not the only one, there is a whole...
New
First poster: bot
You can write fast, modern, responsive web applications by generating your HTML on the server, and delivering that (with a little help) d...
New
First poster: bot
When web accessibility comes to mind most people think of just adding an alt text to an image, but there is much more to it! This article...
New
First poster: bot
Last year I created Pomodone, a small time tracking application based on the Pomodoro technique of working in 25 minute intervals. It’s a...
New
AstonJ
I love videos like this and it follows the same theme as @jaeyson’s thread here - I reckon the @ElixirCasts crew should consider experime...
New
First poster: bot
I first got into web design/development in the late 90s, and only as I type this sentence do I realize how long ago that was. And boy, i...
New
First poster: bot
Since the Humio web client is built in Elm, I’d like to share some of our learnings with Elm over the years. Specifically, working with U...
New
First poster: bot
Holograms, light-leaks and how to build CSS-only shaders - Robb Owen . Get a shiny WebGL look without actually using WebGL. In this arti...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Ruby, Io, Prolog, Scala, Erlang, Clojure, Haskell. With Seven Languages in Seven Weeks, by Bruce A. Tate, you’ll go beyond the syntax—and...
New
brentjanderson
Bought the Moonlander mechanical keyboard. Cherry Brown MX switches. Arms and wrists have been hurting enough that it’s time I did someth...
New
AstonJ
poll poll Be sure to check out @Dusty’s article posted here: An Introduction to Alternative Keyboard Layouts It’s one of the best write-...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
From finance to artificial intelligence, genetic algorithms are a powerful tool with a wide array of applications. But you don't need an ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Use WebRTC to build web applications that stream media and data in real time directly from one user to another, all in the browser. ...
New
mafinar
This is going to be a long an frequently posted thread. While talking to a friend of mine who has taken data structure and algorithm cou...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Mike Riley @mriley This month, we turn the spotlight on Mike Riley, author of Portable Python Projects. Mike’s book ...
New
New
DevotionGeo
I have always used antique keyboards like Cherry MX 1800 or Cherry MX 8100 and almost always have modified the switches in some way, like...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
As digital systems increasingly run the world, mastery of the recurring patterns of software development risk is the key to fast and effe...
New