Phillipp

Phillipp

Software for photographers and filmmakers (general discussion)

Hey,

just wanting to start a discussion about software especially for photographers and filmmakers.

Generally, those would be plugins for image editing software (Photoshop, etc.) or video editing software (Premiere, Davinci Resolve, etc.) or even standalone software (some are both).

I noticed that those are pretty good (passive) income options as the target group is willing to spend a lot of money for this kind of software.

But of course, it is much much more complicated than webdev (frontend, backend) and the ecosystem, especially around learning resources, guides, tutorials, documentation is not nearly on the same level as modern web based topics.

For example, if I’d like to create a plugin for Davinci Resolve, that loads certain data (either from video file, or xml) and creates an overlay visualization that can be put on top of the video, I would have no clue where to even start.

This entire field of software development is so opaque to me.

What are your thoughts or even experiences with that?

Most Liked

AstonJ

AstonJ

An easier route into the world could be selling Look Up Tables (LUTS)?

But yeah I think the market is quite big and I love how we are getting more alternatives now, like Affinity Photo/Designer/Publisher and others such as Sketch. I do think however when you get to that level you will almost certainly require a team. Plugins for them should be easier though, or, go down the iOS route - where the frameworks probably make creating such apps more accessible?

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

AstonJ
What chair do you have while working… and why? Is there a ‘best’ type of chair or working position for developers?
New
Rainer
Have you seen the new features that will be available in the upcoming C# 9 release? C# is taking a lot of input from functional l...
New
AstonJ
Always interested in seeing what apps people use and how they organise their phones/home screens! Here’s mine…
New
chasekaylee
Hi there! I have some old Bose in ear noise cancelling headphones that have worked like a champ for the past 3 years and was maybe due fo...
New
finner
When you are under pressure to deliver you ideally want your Pull Request to be reviewed, approved and merged as quick as possible. So do...
New
mafinar
I always start with excitement and then get busy on 9/10th day. This year, like the year before this, and the year before that, I intend ...
New
chaptuck
I am thinking about getting a fitness tracker of some kind (probably one from Garmin). Have any of you developed your own widgets, watchf...
New
New
Exadra37
My brother got a VPS on https://contabo.com hosting provider, but I was not aware of them, and when my brother told me the price and spec...
New
Maartz
Hey, I love Regex, letting my kids slaming the keyboard until finding the good regex to do the job has always been a source of joy and p...
New

Other popular topics Top

dasdom
No chair. I have a standing desk. This post was split into a dedicated thread from our thread about chairs :slight_smile:
New
New
AstonJ
We’ve talked about his book briefly here but it is quickly becoming obsolete - so he’s decided to create a series of 7 podcasts, the firs...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Rails 7 completely redefines what it means to produce fantastic user experiences and provides a way to achieve all the benefits of single...
New
New
First poster: bot
zig/http.zig at 7cf2cbb33ef34c1d211135f56d30fe23b6cacd42 · ziglang/zig. General-purpose programming language and toolchain for maintaini...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Leverage Elixir and the Nx ecosystem to build intelligent applications that solve real-world problems in computer vision, natural languag...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Develop, deploy, and debug BEAM applications using BEAMOps: a new paradigm that focuses on scalability, fault tolerance, and owning each ...
New
AstonJ
This is cool! DEEPSEEK-V3 ON M4 MAC: BLAZING FAST INFERENCE ON APPLE SILICON We just witnessed something incredible: the largest open-s...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A concise guide to MySQL 9 database administration, covering fundamental concepts, techniques, and best practices. Neil Smyth MySQL...
New