BernardK

BernardK

Programming Ruby 3.2 (5th Edition): B1.0 pages 49, 54, 55, 58-59, 62, 63, 64

@noelrappin

+++++ page 49 Reopening Classes

While ...
the most unique features of Ruby’s class structure: The ability to ...
                                             -----> ^

In French I wouldn’t put a capital letter after a colon.
(Note : I have to use code block instead of quote to keep the arrow and caret aligned with the typo. )

+++++ page 54, paragraph 7 (counting the diagram for one)

You can also index arrays with a pair of numbers, [_start_, _count_]. This returns a new array
consisting of references to count number of objects starting at position start:
-----> should be            _count_ number ...               at position _start_:

(To be coherent _start_, and _count_ should be used both in the square brackets and in the next line.)

+++++ page 55, paragraph 5, line 2 :

replaced by cat. In the next line, the subarray [2, 0] is of length 0, so dog just is inserted at

-----> dog just is sounds strange to me, I would expect : so dog is just inserted at

+++++ page 55, paragraph 6, line 1 : superfluous what

It’s common to create arrays of short words, but that can be a pain, what with all the quotes
                                                              -----> ^^^^ <----- seems superfluous

SUGGESTION
+++++ pages 58-59 : why ’ in the regexp ?

page 58 bottom : the method words_from_string returns : string.downcase.scan(/[\w']+/)

Why an apostrophe in the regexp ([\w']) if the sentence does not contain any (p.59, par.3) :

p words_from_string(“I like Ruby, it is (usually) optimized for programmer happiness”)

In the previous edition (2010), it was :

p words_from_string(“But I didn’t inhale, he said (emphatically)”)

-----> So you could either remove the apostrophe from the regexp (stop ! it breaks the test assert_equal(["the", "cat's", "mat"] ...), or introduce one in the text, for example :

p words_from_string(“I like Ruby, it is (usually) optimized for programmer happiness, isn’t it ? <—”)

and

raw_text = "The problem breaks down into two parts. First, given some text
as a string, return a list of words. That sounds like an array, isn’t it ? <-----

+++++ page 62 : Blocks and Enumeration

In our program that wrote out the results of our word frequency analysis, we had the following loop:

top_five.each do |I|
^^word = top_five[i][0]
^^count = top_five[i][1]
^^puts “#{word}: #{count}”
end

(carets added for indentation)
-----> But this code exists nowhere in this new version. It is a remnant of old versions, for example :

programming-ruby-1-9_p4_.pdf

ISBN-10: 1-934356-08-5
ISBN-13: 978-1-934356-08-1
4.0 printing, May 2011
Version: 2011-5-11

→ second halh of the page 68 :

Download tut_containers/word_freq/ugly_word_count.rb

require_relative "words_from_string.rb"
require_relative "count_frequency.rb"

raw_text = %{
The problem breaks down into two parts. First, given some text as a
string, return a list of words. That sounds like an array. Then, build a
count for each distinct word. That sounds like a use for a hash---we can
index it with the word and use the corresponding entry to keep a count.}

word_list = words_from_string(raw_text)
counts    = count_frequency(word_list)
sorted    = counts.sort_by {|word, count| count}
top_five  = sorted.last(5)

for i in 0...5            # (this is ugly code--read on
  word = top_five[i][0]   # for a better version)
  count = top_five[i][1]
  puts "#{word}: #{count}"
end

-----> caution, page 63, line 4 :

A Ruby programmer might use a different enumerator method called map to write this code more compactly.

this code is not in sync with the old for loop.

=====> I have a solution :

in tut_containers/word_freq/better_word_count.rb on page 62 replace :

top_five.reverse_each do |word, count|

by :

top_five.reverse.each do |word, count|

The result is the same. Then : (carets before puts added for indentation)

Blocks and Enumeration

In our program that wrote out the results of our word frequency analysis, we had the following loop:

top_five.reverse.each do |word, count|
^^puts “#{word}: #{count}”
end

→ Then the replacement of each by map on page 63 perfectly corresponds to

puts top_five.reverse.map { |word, count| "#{word}: #{count}" }

in /best_word_count.rb, and that’s it.

+++++ page 63, paragraph after /best_word_count.rb : it ?, of of

The map method is now taking each element of our top five array and converting it to a new
                                                                        -----> ^^ <----them ???

-----> I would replace it by them (the map method is taking … and converting them (the elements)), or put a comma after top five array :

The map method is now taking each element of our top five array, and converting it [the array] …

-----> + next line (twice of) :

array made of of the strings that come as the result of executing the block.
    -----> ^^^^^

+++++ page 64, paragraph 3. I had difficulty to understand this sentence :

All tap does is …, and then return the original receiver of the method (which, from the perspective of the method pipeline does nothing

-----> it would help to add tap :

                        [line continued] —the receiver
calls the method tap and then the same object is returned ...
          -----> ^^^

First Post!

noelrappin

noelrappin

Author of Modern Front-End Development for Rails

P 49 – fixed
P 54 – that’s a formatting error, I think – _start_ should be indicating underlines.
P 55 – switched
P 55 – It’s not superfluous, it’s there as part of what I guess I’d call an idiom, and gives the sentence a different rhythm
P 58-59 – The apostrophe is in the regex because it was needed for the 2010 example (which I’ve changed). But I don’t think it’s hurting anything to keep it there?
P 62 – Yeah, I noticed that right after the beta went out. It’s been fixed – the code example was changed a couple of times to bring it to 2023 standards (so, no for loop…) and the text lagged behind the code in this case.
P 63 – I think what “this” is referring to is ambiguous, I’ll clarify. reverse_each is part of aligning the code with Standard Ruby style rules, so I’d prefer not to change it.
P 64 – Yes that would probably be clearer.

Thanks!

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

New
jon
Some minor things in the paper edition that says “3 2020” on the title page verso, not mentioned in the book’s errata online: p. 186 But...
New
jeffmcompsci
Title: Design and Build Great Web APIs - typo “https://company-atk.herokuapp.com/2258ie4t68jv” (page 19, third bullet in URL list) Typo:...
New
mikecargal
Title: Hands-On Rust (Chapter 11: prefab) Just played a couple of amulet-less games. With a bit of debugging, I believe that your can_p...
New
AleksandrKudashkin
On the page xv there is an instruction to run bin/setup from the main folder. I downloaded the source code today (12/03/21) and can’t see...
New
jeremyhuiskamp
Title: Web Development with Clojure, Third Edition, vB17.0 (p9) The create table guestbook syntax suggested doesn’t seem to be accepted ...
New
hgkjshegfskef
The test is as follows: Scenario: Intersecting a scaled sphere with a ray Given r ← ray(point(0, 0, -5), vector(0, 0, 1)) And s ← sphere...
New
jonmac
The allprojects block listed on page 245 produces the following error when syncing gradle: “org.gradle.api.GradleScriptException: A prob...
New
tkhobbes
After some hassle, I was able to finally run bin/setup, now I have started the rails server but I get this error message right when I vis...
New
mcpierce
@mfazio23 I’ve applied the changes from Chapter 5 of the book and everything builds correctly and runs. But, when I try to start a game,...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Design and develop sophisticated 2D games that are as much fun to make as they are to play. From particle effects and pathfinding to soci...
New
Exadra37
I am asking for any distro that only has the bare-bones to be able to get a shell in the server and then just install the packages as we ...
New
AstonJ
If you get Can't find emacs in your PATH when trying to install Doom Emacs on your Mac you… just… need to install Emacs first! :lol: bre...
New
AstonJ
Was just curious to see if any were around, found this one: I got 51/100: Not sure if it was meant to buy I am sure at times the b...
New
DevotionGeo
I have always used antique keyboards like Cherry MX 1800 or Cherry MX 8100 and almost always have modified the switches in some way, like...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Overarching tutorial for Python beginner and intermediate developers that teaches web development with the Flask framework. Miguel Gr...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A concise guide to MySQL 9 database administration, covering fundamental concepts, techniques, and best practices. Neil Smyth MySQL...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
This book forgoes the abstract and instead provides concrete examples to help you better leverage the unique properties of Elixir, Erlang...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Quickly turn complex problems into simple, working solutions using functional programming, safe concurrency, and the expressive tools of ...
New
xiji2646-netizen
Woke up to this today: Claude Code’s complete source code exposed via npm source map. Not a snippet. All 512,000 lines. 1,900 TypeScript ...
New

Sub Categories: