AnnoDomine

AnnoDomine

Port Wolfenstein3D (MS-DOS, C) to Rust (Cross-OS, Controller-Support)

Hi there.

First of all, my name is Dominic. I am a software developer from Germany.

This project is about converting/porting id Software’s Wolfenstein 3D from C into Rust.

The GitHub repository is public: GitHub - AnnoDomine/wolf3d: The original open source release of Wolfenstein 3D · GitHub
There you can follow the progress step by step.


Vision

I am relatively new to Rust and am becoming more and more a fan of it.
As I like dev videos on YouTube, I saw a lot of “code-review” videos of the Doom code.
But Doom is not the only masterpiece from id. They have created tons of awesome games within the Wolfenstein series, and especially Wolfenstein 3D.
I thought about diving deep into the Wolfenstein 3D C code, extracting every single line and definition, comparing 1st- and 3rd-party libs, and rewriting Wolfenstein 3D in Rust.

What can I say, from vision to decision :slight_smile:

Tech Stack

I do not think I have to talk a lot about the tech stack. I mean, we have C as the base language and Rust as the target language.
So our tech stack is:

  • C
  • Rust

Roadmap

Basically, there is no specific roadmap. There is more of a goal list which defines each single major integration:

  1. Initialize the project
  2. Bring the first picture
  3. Main menu and settings
  4. Keyboard input (incl. controller support) and sound
  5. We can see, we can walk, we can shoot (Dev room)
  6. Level 1 - ready - fight
  7. Enemies everywhere
  8. Now I can kill and interact with the environment
  9. Rest of the levels
  10. German censorship (as it was in the 90s)
  11. Thoughts about the project, what I learned, and possible improvements

What’s next

I created this post to document the single steps. I do not know how often I will update this post and how often I can work on this project.

First Post!

AstonJ

AstonJ

Nice! :023:

Where Next?

Popular Game Dev topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Brace yourself for a fun challenge: build a photorealistic 3D renderer from scratch! In just a couple of weeks, build a ray tracer that r...
New
bot
A new item has been posted: This thread was posted automatically, if you feel it could be in a better category and are at Trust Level ...
New
AstonJ
This post by @Paradox927 and all the excitement in this thread got me thinking - what kind of game would you make if you got into it?
New
Help
I am trying to crate a game for the Nintendo switch, I wanted to use Java as I am comfortable with that programming language. Can you use...
New
New
ksspeedstar
For about two weeks we have had the problem that Google / Android are rejecting apps for updates with the following statement: We found...
New
HuntzUdwn
Hello everyone, I am a Student at CSUDH and was wondering about how to become a game developer. I would like to contact a developer and a...
New
bic
Hello everybody :slight_smile: I’m making a tool with the goal to help creating branching dialogues for game development. I want to make...
New
grearch
So l dont know how many of you know dragon ball but this is a hypothetical game that has to do with the dragon ball series.I want to tell...
New
CommunityNews
Open-source implementation of the classic GTA engine now running directly in your browser. Experience the reVC technology demo on DOS.Zon...
New

Other popular topics Top

Devtalk
Hello Devtalk World! Please let us know a little about who you are and where you’re from :nerd_face:
New
brentjanderson
Bought the Moonlander mechanical keyboard. Cherry Brown MX switches. Arms and wrists have been hurting enough that it’s time I did someth...
New
AstonJ
poll poll Be sure to check out @Dusty’s article posted here: An Introduction to Alternative Keyboard Layouts It’s one of the best write-...
New
AstonJ
Continuing the discussion from Thinking about learning Crystal, let’s discuss - I was wondering which languages don’t GC - maybe we can c...
New
Maartz
Hi folks, I don’t know if I saw this here but, here’s a new programming language, called Roc Reminds me a bit of Elm and thus Haskell. ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Mike Riley @mriley This month, we turn the spotlight on Mike Riley, author of Portable Python Projects. Mike’s book ...
New
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Explore the power of Ash Framework by modeling and building the domain for a real-world web application. Rebecca Le @sevenseacat and ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Overarching tutorial for Python beginner and intermediate developers that teaches web development with the Flask framework. Miguel Gr...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A concise guide to MySQL 9 database administration, covering fundamental concepts, techniques, and best practices. Neil Smyth MySQL...
New