CommunityNews

CommunityNews

Why I still like C and strongly dislike C++

This comes up in my conversations surprisingly often so I thought it’s worth to write my thoughts down instead of repeating them again and again.

As it is common with C programmers, C was not my first nor my last language, but I still like it and when I have to write programs I do it in C. Meanwhile I try to be aware of modern (and not so modern) programming languages and their trends and write my own multimedia-related hobby project in Rust. So why I have not moved to anything else yet and how C++ comes to all this?

Read in full here:

https://codecs.multimedia.cx/2021/05/why-i-still-like-c-and-strongly-dislike-cpp/

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

Most Liked

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Can we just agree on hating both C and C++? :grimacing::grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

dwaynebradley

dwaynebradley

Yes, we can definitely agree on that one! :joy:

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

I don’t mean to sound negative, but there is a LOT of bad stuff in this article, and then I then I hit:

I can’t imagine why it should not be allowed if not for hindering compiler optimisations (it can’t be an alignment issue).

The fact that the author doesn’t even realize how broken this is means they don’t actually understand the hardware (x86 by their own admission) that they program for. This person just seems to be advertising that they don’t actually not understand ‘why’ other languages do things the way they do, but why so many constructs in C are inherently broken, even on the architecture that they themselves program for. This article is so full of misinformation that is hurts… >.>

Where Next?

Popular Backend topics Top

First poster: bot
Zig Roadmap 2021. From Zig SHOWTIME #21Subscribe to the Zig SHOWTIME Newsletter!https://zig.show0:00 Intro then Language Spec w/ Martin ...
New
First poster: OvermindDL1
What we can learn from “_why” the long lost open source developer… Code might not last forever, but _why proves you can have an impact t...
New
First poster: dimitarvp
Rails is not written in Ruby. I’m born and raised in Kraków, a beautiful city in Poland, maybe you’ve heard about it, maybe you’ve even ...
New
First poster: bot
GitHub - WhatsApp/waraft: An Erlang implementation of RAFT from WhatsApp. An Erlang implementation of RAFT from WhatsApp. Contribute to ...
New
First poster: AstonJ
Ruby 3.1’s incompatible changes to its YAML module (Psych 4). Ruby made its YAML interpreter more secure by default at the cost of backw...
New
First poster: herbert
Why Rust should not have provided unwrap. I see the unwrap function called a lot, especially in example code, quick-and-dirty prototype ...
New
First poster: bot
Introducing Trilogy: a new database adapter for Ruby on Rails | The GitHub Blog. We’ve open sourced Trilogy, the database adapter we use...
New
First poster: bot
user-defined iteration using range over func values · Discussion #56413 · golang/go. There is no standard way to iterate over a sequence...
/go
New
New
gfqdjb
Learn Step-by-Step from a Hands-On Project 9 comprehensive modules taking you from beginner to building production-ready SaaS applicatio...
New

Other popular topics Top

Exadra37
I am thinking in building or buy a desktop computer for programing, both professionally and on my free time, and my choice of OS is Linux...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Design and develop sophisticated 2D games that are as much fun to make as they are to play. From particle effects and pathfinding to soci...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
From finance to artificial intelligence, genetic algorithms are a powerful tool with a wide array of applications. But you don't need an ...
New
Help
I am trying to crate a game for the Nintendo switch, I wanted to use Java as I am comfortable with that programming language. Can you use...
New
AstonJ
If you want a quick and easy way to block any website on your Mac using Little Snitch simply… File > New Rule: And select Deny, O...
New
First poster: AstonJ
Jan | Rethink the Computer. Jan turns your computer into an AI machine by running LLMs locally on your computer. It’s a privacy-focus, l...
New
sir.laksmana_wenk
I’m able to do the “artistic” part of game-development; character designing/modeling, music, environment modeling, etc. However, I don’t...
New
AnfaengerAlex
Hello, I’m a beginner in Android development and I’m facing an issue with my project setup. In my build.gradle.kts file, I have the foll...
New
AstonJ
Curious what kind of results others are getting, I think actually prefer the 7B model to the 32B model, not only is it faster but the qua...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
As digital systems increasingly run the world, mastery of the recurring patterns of software development risk is the key to fast and effe...
New