BlobDev

BlobDev

Python or C# as a first language for game development

Hi, so i know that python is a better first language but I read that it’s not mainly used for game development so I wondered if c# was better for a first language for me because it is focused on game development and better for writing game engines (i think) could someone help me with this please?

Thanks

Most Liked

mindriot

mindriot

It depends on what kind of game you are looking to make. While it is likely true that it would be better to make a game engine in C# rather than python, most game engines are written in something much more focused on lower level control like C++ . Where C# comes in is that it is one of the languages used to create games within some of the large game engines like Unity or Godot and some others. Usually the recommendation comes from being able to use one of these engines and C# to create much more advanced games than you would realistically achieve in python especially as a beginner (or more specifically without a PHD in math or physics). If the type of game you are looking to make is more constrained like a pretty casual 2d game then there may be other options that are easier to start with in python or elsewhere using some basic graphics and physics libraries.

kevinschweikert

kevinschweikert

Godot uses GDScript which describes itself as

GDScript is easy to learn with a syntax similar to Python where the code is indented rather than using lots of brackets and semicolons.

That could be very nice for a beginner.

somepeople

somepeople

I recommend Python (example based on OpenGL) in conjunction with C/C++ (example game server).

Where Next?

Popular Game Dev topics Top

steelx
Hi, I’m looking suggestions for learning Game development with C++ preferably, SDL2. All suggestions are welcomed :slight_smile:
New
mollyerin
Which operating system should I choose for gaming? I’ve been using Windows since I started, but now I’m wondering about switching to Luni...
New
Intelligent_Chip_641
I published a game with AdMob monetization back in November, and I was making $35 per day. However, two days ago, I received a notificati...
New
gulshan212
Hello this is Gulshan Negi Well, I have developed a program in C++ to print a man (reference taken from here). On the attached site, I a...
New
HuntzUdwn
Hello everyone, I am a Student at CSUDH and was wondering about how to become a game developer. I would like to contact a developer and a...
New
Dhanen
Hi all. New here. I tried do it by myself and searching help in forums but no luck… Hope I can found it here in a specialized forum. My...
New
sir.laksmana_wenk
Where the protagonist hovers their head towards an item nearby, and the headturn has a movement limit, so it’s not like 360 degree head ...
New
SuperGibaLogan
im working on a game on godot and im using a tutorial to code it however, one of the code in the tutorial im using only works in godot 4...
New
Cheeren
Hello. I am developing a game with Unity. I have a problem that I can’t solve. It doesn’t matter if it is 3D or 2D, the edges of the obje...
New
Huzi
I’ve been studying the mechanics behind Block Blast–style puzzle games, and I’m curious about the best approaches for developing one for ...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Rust is an exciting new programming language combining the power of C with memory safety, fearless concurrency, and productivity boosters...
New
dimitarvp
Small essay with thoughts on macOS vs. Linux: I know @Exadra37 is just waiting around the corner to scream at me “I TOLD YOU SO!!!” but I...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Tailwind CSS is an exciting new CSS framework that allows you to design your site by composing simple utility classes to create complex e...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Jamis Buck @jamis This month, we have the pleasure of spotlighting author Jamis Buck, who has written Mazes for Prog...
New
AstonJ
If you want a quick and easy way to block any website on your Mac using Little Snitch simply… File > New Rule: And select Deny, O...
New
husaindevelop
Inside our android webview app, we are trying to paste the copied content from another app eg (notes) using navigator.clipboard.readtext ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Leverage Elixir and the Nx ecosystem to build intelligent applications that solve real-world problems in computer vision, natural languag...
New
AnfaengerAlex
Hello, I’m a beginner in Android development and I’m facing an issue with my project setup. In my build.gradle.kts file, I have the foll...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Escape callback hell and ship fast, clean code that reads as smoothly as it runs. Squash bugs and stamp out memory leaks with an intuitiv...
New
xiji2646-netizen
There’s a GitHub repo at forrestchang/andrej-karpathy-skills that’s sitting at 97.8k stars. It’s a single CLAUDE.md file with four behavi...
New