CommunityNews

CommunityNews

Beej’s Guide to C Programming (pdf)

Foreword

No point in wasting words here, folks, let’s jump straight into the C code:

    E((ck?main((z?(stat(M,&t)?P+=a+'{'?0:3:
    execv(M,k),a=G,i=P,y=G&255,
    sprintf(Q,y/'@'-3?A(*L(V(%d+%d)+%d,0)

And they lived happily ever after. The End.

What’s this? You say something’s still not clear about this whole C programming language thing?

Well, to be quite honest, I’m not even sure what the above code does. It’s a snippet from one of the entries in the 2001 International Obfuscated C Code Contest1, a wonderful competition wherein the entrants attempt to write the most unreadable C code possible, with often surprising results.

The bad news is that if you’re a beginner in this whole thing, all C code you see probably looks obfuscated! The good news is, it’s not going to be that way for long.

What we’ll try to do over the course of this guide is lead you from complete and utter sheer lost confusion on to the sort of enlightened bliss that can only be obtained though pure C programming. Right on…

Read in full here:

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

Most Liked

mafinar

mafinar

Ah, Beej’s guide. Brings back fond memories when I was struggling to learn network programming.

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

New
PragmaticBookshelf
No other text editor comes close to Vim for speed and efficiency. Make Vim the centerpiece of a Unix-based IDE, and discover new ways to ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Harness the promise of the cloud with Fugue, an operating system built for the cloud. If you’re a software engineer, architect, DevOps pr...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Express your customers’ wild ideas as a set of clear, executable specifications that everyone on the team can read. Feed those examples i...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Cyber-criminals have your web applications in their crosshairs. They exploit common security mistakes in your web application to steal us...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A book on mazes? Seriously? Yes! Because it’s fun. Remember when programming used to be fun? Explore a dozen algorithms for generating th...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Fire in the Valley is the definitive history of the personal computer, drawn from interviews with the people who made it happen, written ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
As a techie, you have a tougher time finding and winning the right job. Companies are more demanding. Just like you, your competition is ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Rebuild your free and open source software policies to increase developer retention, ensure cutting-edge security, and reinforce the comp...
New
New

Other popular topics Top

Exadra37
I am thinking in building or buy a desktop computer for programing, both professionally and on my free time, and my choice of OS is Linux...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Design and develop sophisticated 2D games that are as much fun to make as they are to play. From particle effects and pathfinding to soci...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
From finance to artificial intelligence, genetic algorithms are a powerful tool with a wide array of applications. But you don't need an ...
New
Help
I am trying to crate a game for the Nintendo switch, I wanted to use Java as I am comfortable with that programming language. Can you use...
New
AstonJ
If you want a quick and easy way to block any website on your Mac using Little Snitch simply… File > New Rule: And select Deny, O...
New
First poster: AstonJ
Jan | Rethink the Computer. Jan turns your computer into an AI machine by running LLMs locally on your computer. It’s a privacy-focus, l...
New
sir.laksmana_wenk
I’m able to do the “artistic” part of game-development; character designing/modeling, music, environment modeling, etc. However, I don’t...
New
AnfaengerAlex
Hello, I’m a beginner in Android development and I’m facing an issue with my project setup. In my build.gradle.kts file, I have the foll...
New
AstonJ
Curious what kind of results others are getting, I think actually prefer the 7B model to the 32B model, not only is it faster but the qua...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
As digital systems increasingly run the world, mastery of the recurring patterns of software development risk is the key to fast and effe...
New