AstonJ

AstonJ

Anyone use blue-light blockers or reducers?

Continuing the discussion from What monitor(s) do you have for programming? - just wondering if anyone has used blue light blockers or glasses?

Ben Greenfield mentioned them in a youtube podcast recently and iirc, said blue-light blocking glasses can help prevent damage as blue light can actually damage eye health - not just keep you awake as what we commonly associate it with. (Think it might have been in this interview.)

Most Liked

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Definitely not. I feel the effect is much less pronounced when you have a lot of natural light in the room and never entertained the idea. I do have a quite conservative schedule for my OS-es to auto turn on night mode (= reduce blue) though.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Installed redshift-gtk last night since I moved from the awful GNOME 3 interface of Ubuntu to Unity which doesn’t have a blue light reducer. Redshift is working quite okay.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Displays are not so bright when the sun shines directly into most of your room. :smiley: Especially the smartphone displays’ brightness values mean absolutely nothing if you have to pull out your phone while walking on a sunny street.

As for the studies, I’d take them with a huge bag of salt. Especially breast cancer closely correlated with artificial outside lighting? Very oddly specific and I’d bet they got to this conclusion since they didn’t have big sample sizes to work with.

Still, I am on their side – I am very sure artificial lighting is damaging for us. But I also believe there are ways to severely mitigate the effects, f.ex. I know people who prefer red light during most of their evenings and have reported feeling more relaxed and in a better mood in their free time at home.

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

AstonJ
In ear? Over? Noise Cancelling? Brand and model numbers please :nerd_face: Pics always welcome too!
New
AstonJ
Continuing the discussion from What monitor(s) do you have for programming? - just wondering if anyone has used blue light blockers or gl...
New
AstonJ
I have seen the keycaps I want - they are due for a group-buy this week but won’t be delivered until October next year!!! :rofl: The Ser...
New
First poster: kokolegorille
Seagate recently published its long-term technology roadmap revealing plans to produce ~50 TB hard drives by 2026 and 120+ TB HDDs after ...
New
First poster: AstonJ
If you kept a close eye on the Apple vs. Epic Games trial, you might be wondering: How the hell did we get to this point, where a phone m...
New
AstonJ
Saw this on TikTok of all places! :lol: Anyone heard of them before? Lite:
New
Exadra37
I am thinking in buying one as the second monitor for my Thinkpad while I am travelling: Anyone has experience in using on...
New
AstonJ
Any tech from the past that you liked/loved? Post here! Pics welcome too! :003:
New
CommunityNews
Shop Dell UltraSharp Thunderbolt Hub Monitor U5226KW. 6K ultrawide curved display, 120Hz refresh, & TUV-certified eye comfort​.
New
edantuisi
Hey everyone, I’m Edan. Like a lot of developers, typing code all day eventually started taking a toll on my wrists and posture. I switc...
New

Other popular topics Top

Devtalk
Hello Devtalk World! Please let us know a little about who you are and where you’re from :nerd_face:
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Instantly view the changes you make to an app with stateful hot reload, and define a declarative UI in the same language as the app logic...
New
Rainer
My first contact with Erlang was about 2 years ago when I used RabbitMQ, which is written in Erlang, for my job. This made me curious and...
New
AstonJ
I’ve been hearing quite a lot of comments relating to the sound of a keyboard, with one of the most desirable of these called ‘thock’, he...
New
dimitarvp
Small essay with thoughts on macOS vs. Linux: I know @Exadra37 is just waiting around the corner to scream at me “I TOLD YOU SO!!!” but I...
New
Exadra37
I am asking for any distro that only has the bare-bones to be able to get a shell in the server and then just install the packages as we ...
New
AstonJ
Continuing the discussion from Thinking about learning Crystal, let’s discuss - I was wondering which languages don’t GC - maybe we can c...
New
First poster: bot
zig/http.zig at 7cf2cbb33ef34c1d211135f56d30fe23b6cacd42 · ziglang/zig. General-purpose programming language and toolchain for maintaini...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A masterclass in the fundamentals and principles of functional programming. Minh Quang Tran The Art of Functional Programming is a ma...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Write elegant Ruby code—not just correct, but idiomatic. Go beyond the vocabulary and syntax and learn to express yourself with eloquence...
New