siddhant3030

siddhant3030

Confused if I go for macbook 2019 model?

Hi,

I’m about to buy a MacBook 2019 model. I use mostly Elixir in my development. Should I go for this MacBook? or should I consider a Linux too?

For this price, I can get a probably much better Linux machine. But mac os I have been using for nearly 3 years now. It’s really easy to use and most things can be done using brew. But I was using MacBook 13 inch, i5 processor one. It was smooth until I have to run docker and Kubernetes. I know it will be smooth on MacBook pro. But how different is compared to Linux?

Most Liked

hauleth

hauleth

Depending on amount of customisation you want. If you will just run Ubuntu or other “user-facing” distribution and call it a day, then there should be not much difference between macOS and your Linux (maybe except some applications like my favourite Dash). However if you want to customise your OS then Linux will be much easier both to customise and screw up everything.

About Docker then the native support for it on Linux for sure is a big pro, but I haven’t had much problems with my limited use of Docker on macOS via VM (I find it enormously sad that macOS still do not support FreeBSD jails which is like containers on Linux).

hauleth

hauleth

You can buy one with i7 and 32GB RAM. I have one like that.

AstonJ

AstonJ

You can run linux on your Mac - that’d let you decide what might be best for you? Best of both worlds :nerd:

You might also find this thread interesting:

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

AstonJ
In ear? Over? Noise Cancelling? Brand and model numbers please :nerd_face: Pics always welcome too!
New
AstonJ
poll poll Be sure to check out @Dusty’s article posted here: An Introduction to Alternative Keyboard Layouts It’s one of the best write-...
New
New
AstonJ
I found this video pretty informative - even if it could have been said in half the time!
New
foxtrottwist
Here’s our thread for the Keyboardio Atreus. It is a mechanical keyboard based on and a slight update of the original Atreus (Keyboardio ...
New
ohm
My employer is letting me get a new laptop for developing on. Should I get the new MacBook Pro M1 or the MacBook Air M1 and why? :man_te...
New
AstonJ
The reviews are coming in - if you spot any or have a review of your own, please add it :nerd_face: @ohm will be pleased, they seem to b...
New
First poster: bot
We perform a detailed vertical analysis of application performance atop a range of modern file systems and SSD FTLs. We formalize the “un...
New
AiheyStudio
Every pet is unique, so why not let their personality shine on your keyboard? Introducing our Artisan Keycaps for Cats and Dogs, custom-m...
New
edantuisi
Hey everyone, I’m Edan. Like a lot of developers, typing code all day eventually started taking a toll on my wrists and posture. I switc...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Instantly view the changes you make to an app with stateful hot reload, and define a declarative UI in the same language as the app logic...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Brace yourself for a fun challenge: build a photorealistic 3D renderer from scratch! In just a couple of weeks, build a ray tracer that r...
New
AstonJ
Do the test and post your score :nerd_face: :keyboard: If possible, please add info such as the keyboard you’re using, the layout (Qw...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Create efficient, elegant software tests in pytest, Python's most powerful testing framework. Brian Okken @brianokken Edited by Kat...
New
Maartz
Hi folks, I don’t know if I saw this here but, here’s a new programming language, called Roc Reminds me a bit of Elm and thus Haskell. ...
New
AstonJ
This is cool! DEEPSEEK-V3 ON M4 MAC: BLAZING FAST INFERENCE ON APPLE SILICON We just witnessed something incredible: the largest open-s...
New
NewsBot
Node.js v22.14.0 has been released. Link: Release 2025-02-11, Version 22.14.0 'Jod' (LTS), @aduh95 · nodejs/node · GitHub
New
RobertRichards
Hair Salon Games for Girls Fun Girls Hair Saloon game is mainly developed for kids. This game allows users to select virtual avatars to ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Quickly turn complex problems into simple, working solutions using functional programming, safe concurrency, and the expressive tools of ...
New
CommunityNews
Open-source implementation of the classic GTA engine now running directly in your browser. Experience the reVC technology demo on DOS.Zon...
New