CommunityNews

CommunityNews

Performance Showdown: Rust vs Javascript (2020)

Performance Showdown: Rust vs Javascript.
After spending some weeks playing with Rust, I felt ready to test my skills and try some programming challenges in the Advent Of Code. My approach to tackle some of those challenges was to solve them using Javascript (I use it in my day to day) first and then port the code to Rust. While writing the port I just focus on getting the Rust code as elegant as possible to achieve that I research the Rust API’s to get syntactically correct. It was after finishing porting this puzzle in particular and feeling a sense of accomplishment that I decided to test how the Rust compiled code will perform against Javascript interpreter.

# Javascript (Node.js)
  real  0m0.374s
  user  0m0.301s
  sys   0m0.030s

# Rust
  real  0m0.720s
  user  0m0.636s
  sys   0m0.012s
Node   0.17s user 0.03s system 101% cpu 0.209 total
Rust   0.23s user 0.01s system 98% cpu 0.238 total

To catch this one I’ll need to dig more into Rust inner workings. Does this make it more expensive to get performance out of Rust? Did I choose the wrong abstractions?..

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

Where Next?

Popular Backend topics Top

New
First poster: bot
Taking PHP Seriously - Slack Engineering. Slack uses PHP for most of its server-side application logic, which is an unusual choice these...
New
First poster: wolf4earth
Understanding Partial Moves in Rust. Partial moves are an interesting but often misunderstood feature of Rust. However, with the right ...
New
AstonJ
Just listening to this now… Totally agree with @FrancescoC’s and @thompson_si’s comment “learn to learn” :sunglasses: In our talk we’...
New
First poster: malloryerik
Everyone outside of tech has heard of JavaScript, Java, Python, Ruby and even .Net, but few if any have heard of F#. However, F# may be o...
New
First poster: bot
Over the last few years, due in large part to the hype surrounding blockchain and cryptocurrencies, decentralized applications have gaine...
New
CommunityNews
I don’t like reading thick O’Reilly books when I start learning new programming languages. Rather, I like starting by writing small and d...
New
CommunityNews
This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.
New
tonyxrandall
When DoorDash approached the limits of what our Django-based monolithic codebase could support, we needed to design a new stack that woul...
New
penelopa
Learn how set up an RTMP server for free using the open-source Red5 software. This tutorial covers all steps from downloading the code fr...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Write Elixir tests that you can be proud of. Dive into Elixir’s test philosophy and gain mastery over the terminology and concepts that u...
New
DevotionGeo
I know that these benchmarks might not be the exact picture of real-world scenario, but still I expect a Rust web framework performing a ...
New
AstonJ
You might be thinking we should just ask who’s not using VSCode :joy: however there are some new additions in the space that might give V...
New
AstonJ
poll poll Be sure to check out @Dusty’s article posted here: An Introduction to Alternative Keyboard Layouts It’s one of the best write-...
New
New
AstonJ
In case anyone else is wondering why Ruby 3 doesn’t show when you do asdf list-all ruby :man_facepalming: do this first: asdf plugin-upd...
New
Exadra37
Oh just spent so much time on this to discover now that RancherOS is in end of life but Rancher is refusing to mark the Github repo as su...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Rebecca Skinner @RebeccaSkinner Welcome to our latest author spotlight, where we sit down with Rebecca Skinner, auth...
New
AstonJ
Curious what kind of results others are getting, I think actually prefer the 7B model to the 32B model, not only is it faster but the qua...
New
pragdave
Build robust LLM-powered apps, chatbots, and agents while mastering AI engineering principles that will help you outlast the tools and th...
New