CommunityNews

CommunityNews

I rewrote my Rust keyboard firmware in Zig: consistency, mastery, and fun

I’ve spent the last year building keyboards, which has included writing firmware for a variety custom circuit boards.

I initially wrote this firmware in Rust, but despite years of experience with that language I still struggled quite a bit. I eventually got my keyboards working, but it took an embarrassingly long time and wasn’t fun.

After repeated suggestions from my much more Rust-and-computing-experienced friend Jamie Brandon, I rewrote the firmware in Zig, which turned out swimmingly.

I found this quite surprising, given that I’d never seen Zig before and it’s a pre-1.0 language written by a fellow PDX hipster with basically just a single page of documentation.

The experience went so well, in fact, that I now feel just as likely to turn to Zig (a language I’ve used for a dozen hours) as to Rust (which I’ve used for at least a thousand hours).

This, of course, reflects as much about me and my interests as it does about either of these languages. So I’ll have to explain what I want from a systems programming language in the first place…

https://kevinlynagh.com/rust-zig/

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

Most Liked

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

This was an excellent article and I enjoyed reading it several days ago.

However, you can tell right from the start that the author initially picked Rust based on hype alone and didn’t do proper pros/cons analysis. He felt happy with his choice of Zig because it was much better positioned to comply with his requirements for lower-level code that doesn’t tackle memory safety concerns and object lifetimes.

All in all, he eventually made the right choice but in the HN thread some people went as far as to claim that Rust is “bad” which of course it is if you pick it for the work that the author wanted; the Rust book is literally warning against some of his requirements in its intro pages!

So the article is valuable but it attracted some rather preliminary and harsh responses.

Where Next?

Popular Backend topics Top

First poster: wolf4earth
Understanding Partial Moves in Rust. Partial moves are an interesting but often misunderstood feature of Rust. However, with the right ...
New
First poster: bot
We all know how to teach recursion. We’ve done it for decades. We pick some honored, time-tested examples—Fibonacci numbers and factorial...
New
First poster: bot
In a previous post we talked about implementing a simple video chat with WebRTC and Elixir. This update will touch on some of the API cha...
New
First poster: bot
Django 3.2 is just around the corner and it’s packed with new features. Django versions are usually not that exciting (it’s a good thing!...
New
First poster: dimitarvp
I’ve spent the last year building keyboards, which has included writing firmware for a variety custom circuit boards. I initially wrote ...
New
First poster: bot
Once a year, I look back at the recent developments in the PHP world, and also look forward to what’s to come. And just like in 2020 and ...
New
AstonJ
This was posted on the Elixir Forum and thought it was worth sharing here! I love how the excitement of the author shines through and I ...
New
chikega
Mark Hoffman, the author of Programming WebAssembly in Rust, is a pretty hilarious lecturer if you like a dry sense of humor.
New
StuntProgrammer
In building lofi.limo, media storage and distribution naturally came up. I have songs, announcements, and background image loops which I ...
New
brainlid
Jason Stiebs shows a couple ways for a LiveView to make it easy for users to click and copy an important value to their clipboard. He sho...
New

Other popular topics Top

Devtalk
Reading something? Working on something? Planning something? Changing jobs even!? If you’re up for sharing, please let us know what you’...
1063 24245 395
New
New
AstonJ
I’ve been hearing quite a lot of comments relating to the sound of a keyboard, with one of the most desirable of these called ‘thock’, he...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Use WebRTC to build web applications that stream media and data in real time directly from one user to another, all in the browser. ...
New
foxtrottwist
A few weeks ago I started using Warp a terminal written in rust. Though in it’s current state of development there are a few caveats (tab...
New
New
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Develop, deploy, and debug BEAM applications using BEAMOps: a new paradigm that focuses on scalability, fault tolerance, and owning each ...
New
AstonJ
This is a very quick guide, you just need to: Download LM Studio: https://lmstudio.ai/ Click on search Type DeepSeek, then select the o...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Fight complexity and reclaim the original spirit of agility by learning to simplify how you develop software. The result: a more humane a...
New