AstonJ

AstonJ

iPad for reading programming books?

I love my Kindle Oasis for reading, but unfortunately it’s not great for technical books as you often need to click on a link or do a quick web search, so I’m thinking about getting an iPad.

Anyone use one for reading programming books? Which one have you got and how do you find it?

I am currently considering the iPad mini, iPad Air, and the 11" iPad Pro (the 12" is too bulky/heavy for reading for long periods from what I’ve heard from youtubers).

Anyone have any thoughts?

Pinging @herminiotorres and @jamiedumont as I know you both have iPads :003:

Most Liked

AstonJ

AstonJ

Just updated my post with more plus points:

…and …have just ordered the Pro :lol:

Thanks for your help Toby - I will let you know how I get on! :003:

mindriot

mindriot

I have the 11” pro, not the newest one but the one before that. Reading programming books, docs etc is the thing i use it for most though I do use it for other things as well. I find it to be really good for this task since it can render the graphics and diagrams nicely, support any format, easily open links, bring up docs/book side by side in split view, weighs less than most of the books I have in dead tree format…

In general unless you have a really good reason, I would be inclined to go for the Air rather than the Pro. For this kind of use case (and realistically most use cases) the pro doesn’t add enough to justify the extra cost. I would however recommend picking up the (2nd gen) pencil, it is great for notes, highlighting stuff or quickly sketching and it feels really nice to use. For me the mini is a bit on the small side for this kind of content, it is purely subjective where the size trade off is right for any person though. I like the size being similar to that of a normal printed page.

If you also want to do some heavier image editing (affinity photo and designer are great), video editing or get into some of the audio tools then you might start to see the benefits of the Pro, it is a pretty awesome bit of kit but it is also fairly hard to use to its fullest other than with these kinds of apps.

Those are my thoughts. If you can go into a store and play around with them for a little bit that might help a lot. You spend a lot of time holding the device so getting a feel for the sizes and weights directly is a good idea.

AstonJ

AstonJ

Thanks Toby!

That’s pretty much exactly my use case :lol:

The main benefits of the 11" Pro seem to be:

  • 120Hz screen (promotion)
  • M1 chip
  • 128GB base model
  • Better camera (12MP Wide and 10MP Ultra Wide vs 12MP Wide)
  • Better front facing camera (TrueDepth Ultra Wide 12MP vs 7MP)
  • USB-C Thunderbolt / USB 4 (vs std USB-C)
  • Slightly bigger screen (11" vs 10.9")
  • Slightly thinner (5.9mm vs 6.1mm)
  • (Slightly heavier tho, at 466g vs 458g)

The Air base model is 64GB and if you go to 256GB then it’s not far off the Pro’s price. I think 64GB may be too small. 120Hz screen is meant to be a little nicer with the pencil too.

Air: 64GB - £579
Air: 256GB - £729
Pro: 128GB - £749

So currently I am leaning more towards the Pro as I think 64GB on the Air is just a bit too small - what size is yours?

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

AstonJ
Do you use (or does your dev machine have) a Retina or HiDPI screen? poll Here’s an explanation of what HiDPI is - from Steve Jobs when ...
New
siddhant3030
Hi, I’m about to buy a MacBook 2019 model. I use mostly Elixir in my development. Should I go for this MacBook? or should I consider a L...
New
AstonJ
The reviews are coming in - if you spot any or have a review of your own, please add it :nerd_face: @ohm will be pleased, they seem to b...
New
First poster: bot
One of the questions I often come back to is this: how much of our collective wealth is inherited by our generations versus created by ou...
New
First poster: bot
Enjoy Life. Offline. Your Minimalist Phone. Mindful design, essential functionalities, an eye-friendly E Ink display, a dedicated OS and ...
New
First poster: bot
CutiePi is a Raspberry Pi 4 tablet that turns your project into an untethered adventure. Build and create wherever an idea strikes you. N...
New
AstonJ
I have been using a glossy monitor (LG5K) for over a year now and I swear it is affecting my eyesight. I heard that it can happen as it’...
New
First poster: AstonJ
If you kept a close eye on the Apple vs. Epic Games trial, you might be wondering: How the hell did we get to this point, where a phone m...
New
foxtrottwist
I love my programmable, mechanical keyboards. Keyboardio Atreus, ZSA Moonlander and the Planck EZ. By far my favorite is the Moonlander. ...
New
bsrtech
Blame AI! Samsung’s reported 100% QoQ increase in NAND Flash contract prices in Q1 2026 confirms a structural shift in the memory market....
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Stop developing web apps with yesterday’s tools. Today, developers are increasingly adopting Clojure as a web-development platform. See f...
New
AstonJ
Or looking forward to? :nerd_face:
503 15149 280
New
AstonJ
Do the test and post your score :nerd_face: :keyboard: If possible, please add info such as the keyboard you’re using, the layout (Qw...
New
foxtrottwist
A few weeks ago I started using Warp a terminal written in rust. Though in it’s current state of development there are a few caveats (tab...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Jamis Buck @jamis This month, we have the pleasure of spotlighting author Jamis Buck, who has written Mazes for Prog...
New
husaindevelop
Inside our android webview app, we are trying to paste the copied content from another app eg (notes) using navigator.clipboard.readtext ...
New
AstonJ
If you’re getting errors like this: psql: error: connection to server on socket “/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432” failed: No such file or directory ...
New
AnfaengerAlex
Hello, I’m a beginner in Android development and I’m facing an issue with my project setup. In my build.gradle.kts file, I have the foll...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Explore the power of Ash Framework by modeling and building the domain for a real-world web application. Rebecca Le @sevenseacat and ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Quickly turn complex problems into simple, working solutions using functional programming, safe concurrency, and the expressive tools of ...
New