tvanderpol

tvanderpol

Genetic Algorithms in Elixir: Ch 3 chromosome metadata not maintained (~p 144)

After creating the Chromosome type and updating the one_max script, the size attribute isn’t carried through. I realised that in both crossover() and mutation() the new Chromosome instance isn’t being populated by the relevant parent / existing chromosome. I updated the crossover code to

    {c1, c2} = {
      %Chromosome{p1 | genes: h1 ++ t2},
      %Chromosome{p2 | genes: h2 ++ t1}
    }

and similar for mutation:

      %Chromosome{chromosome | genes: Enum.shuffle(chromosome.genes)}

That sorted it out.

Unrelated I’m pretty sure there were some typos in the area where we updated all the framework code to carry the Problem definition through (initialise’s arguments were missing something, from memory) but I didn’t take notes.

Cheers,
Thomas

Marked As Solved

seanmor5

seanmor5

Author of Genetic Algorithms in Elixir

Thanks for pointing this out. I’ll go back through and ensure the metadata is retained correctly throughout implementations. I hope these mistakes aren’t detracting from your experience with the book! I appreciate the help in making the book better for everybody.

Also Liked

patrickdm

patrickdm

I’ve also stumped upon the missing size when I tried to use it in crossover/2 as p1.size instead of recalculating length(p1.genes) at each iteration. I took a while to figure out it was not retained after initializing the chromosome’s population.

About the chromosome update you mention, we can discuss if you really want the age to increase after a crossover (when you get a kind of new chromosome) or if we should consider a new generation only after a mutation. But I think this are not so relevant aspects in respect of the main code’s objective.

Similar consideration goes for the silly optimization I made in evaluate/3, when I opted to use the precalculated fitness for the last sorting step:

...
|> Enum.sort_by(& &1.fitness, &>=/2)
tvanderpol

tvanderpol

To be honest my Elixir is pretty rusty so having to do a bit of debugging and making sure the code is doing what I think it’s doing is added value for me right now. :smiley:

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

jimschubert
In Chapter 3, the source for index introduces Config on page 31, followed by more code including tests; Config isn’t introduced until pag...
New
brianokken
Many tasks_proj/tests directories exist in chapters 2, 3, 5 that have tests that use the custom markers smoke and get, which are not decl...
New
ianwillie
Hello Brian, I have some problems with running the code in your book. I like the style of the book very much and I have learnt a lot as...
New
simonpeter
When I try the command to create a pair of migration files I get an error. user=> (create-migration "guestbook") Execution error (Ill...
New
mikecargal
Title: Hands-On Rust (Chap 8 (Adding a Heads Up Display) It looks like ​.with_simple_console_no_bg​(SCREEN_WIDTH*2, SCREEN_HEIGHT*2...
New
lirux
Hi Jamis, I think there’s an issue with a test on chapter 6. I own the ebook, version P1.0 Feb. 2019. This test doesn’t pass for me: ...
New
Mmm
Hi, build fails on: bracket-lib = “~0.8.1” when running on Mac Mini M1 Rust version 1.5.0: Compiling winit v0.22.2 error[E0308]: mi...
New
jeremyhuiskamp
Title: Web Development with Clojure, Third Edition, vB17.0 (p9) The create table guestbook syntax suggested doesn’t seem to be accepted ...
New
brunogirin
When trying to run tox in parallel as explained on page 151, I got the following error: tox: error: argument -p/–parallel: expected one...
New
taguniversalmachine
Hi, I am getting an error I cannot figure out on my test. I have what I think is the exact code from the book, other than I changed “us...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Ruby, Io, Prolog, Scala, Erlang, Clojure, Haskell. With Seven Languages in Seven Weeks, by Bruce A. Tate, you’ll go beyond the syntax—and...
New
AstonJ
You might be thinking we should just ask who’s not using VSCode :joy: however there are some new additions in the space that might give V...
New
AstonJ
I ended up cancelling my Moonlander order as I think it’s just going to be a bit too bulky for me. I think the Planck and the Preonic (o...
New
AstonJ
In case anyone else is wondering why Ruby 3 doesn’t show when you do asdf list-all ruby :man_facepalming: do this first: asdf plugin-upd...
New
Maartz
Hi folks, I don’t know if I saw this here but, here’s a new programming language, called Roc Reminds me a bit of Elm and thus Haskell. ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Rails 7 completely redefines what it means to produce fantastic user experiences and provides a way to achieve all the benefits of single...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Mike Riley @mriley This month, we turn the spotlight on Mike Riley, author of Portable Python Projects. Mike’s book ...
New
DevotionGeo
I have always used antique keyboards like Cherry MX 1800 or Cherry MX 8100 and almost always have modified the switches in some way, like...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Develop, deploy, and debug BEAM applications using BEAMOps: a new paradigm that focuses on scalability, fault tolerance, and owning each ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Use advanced functional programming principles, practical Domain-Driven Design techniques, and production-ready Elixir code to build scal...
New

Sub Categories: