CommunityNews

CommunityNews

Faster JavaScript Calls

JavaScript allows calling a function with a different number of arguments than the expected number of parameters, i.e., one can pass fewer or more arguments than the declared formal parameters. The former case is called under-application and the latter is called over-application.

In the under-application case, the remaining parameters get assigned the undefined value. In the over-application case, the remaining arguments can be accessed by using the rest parameter and the arguments property, or they are simply superfluous and they can be ignored. Many Web/NodeJS frameworks nowadays use this JS feature to accept optional parameters and create a more flexible API.

Until recently, V8 had a special machinery to deal with arguments size mismatch: the arguments adaptor frame. Unfortunately, argument adaption comes at a performance cost, but is commonly needed in modern front-end and middleware frameworks. It turns out that, with a clever trick, we can remove this extra frame, simplify the V8 codebase and get rid of almost the entire overhead.

We can calculate the performance impact of removing the arguments adaptor frame through a micro-benchmark.

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

/js

Where Next?

Popular Frontend topics Top

First poster: bot
A beginner’s guide to developing with React. React is a JavaScript user interface (UI) library that was built and is maintained by Faceb...
New
New
First poster: bot
Stork Turns One: Building a search tool for static sites with Rust and WebAssembly • jameslittle.me. Stork, my web search side project, ...
New
psantos
In this tutorial, I’ll walk you step-by-step on how to install TailwindCSS 2.0 on Ruby on Rails.
New
First poster: bot
PDF documents are a major part of our digital lives and, in an era where we spend most of our time working inside a web browser, enhancin...
New
First poster: bot
This guide is intended to cover everything you need to know about creating, manipulating and comparing strings in JavaScript. Extra tips...
New
First poster: bot
I first got into web design/development in the late 90s, and only as I type this sentence do I realize how long ago that was. And boy, i...
New
First poster: bot
Since the Humio web client is built in Elm, I’d like to share some of our learnings with Elm over the years. Specifically, working with U...
New
First poster: bot
Holograms, light-leaks and how to build CSS-only shaders - Robb Owen . Get a shiny WebGL look without actually using WebGL. In this arti...
New
First poster: bot
Recently Tom MacWright has written a few posts on Single Page Applications and their discontents: Second-guessing the modern web If not...
New

Other popular topics Top

New
DevotionGeo
I know that these benchmarks might not be the exact picture of real-world scenario, but still I expect a Rust web framework performing a ...
New
Rainer
My first contact with Erlang was about 2 years ago when I used RabbitMQ, which is written in Erlang, for my job. This made me curious and...
New
dimitarvp
Small essay with thoughts on macOS vs. Linux: I know @Exadra37 is just waiting around the corner to scream at me “I TOLD YOU SO!!!” but I...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build highly interactive applications without ever leaving Elixir, the way the experts do. Let LiveView take care of performance, scalabi...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Rails 7 completely redefines what it means to produce fantastic user experiences and provides a way to achieve all the benefits of single...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Programming Ruby is the most complete book on Ruby, covering both the language itself and the standard library as well as commonly used t...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Use advanced functional programming principles, practical Domain-Driven Design techniques, and production-ready Elixir code to build scal...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
As digital systems increasingly run the world, mastery of the recurring patterns of software development risk is the key to fast and effe...
New
xiji2646-netizen
Woke up to this today: Claude Code’s complete source code exposed via npm source map. Not a snippet. All 512,000 lines. 1,900 TypeScript ...
New