harwind

harwind

Event handling in java

I’m developing a web-based application that uses Java servlets to make RPC calls.
I’m searching for a solid technique to dispatch and handle server events. With a PHP application, I’m used to using Symfony’s EventDispatcher class to add event listeners and dispatch events, but I’m having trouble finding something analogous in Java because much of what I can find is about dealing with UI events, and I want to listen for and fire events on the server.

I’d also like the actual event handling to happen asynchronously on a separate thread or something, so that an API call to handle adding a payment can do what’s necessary, fire an event, and return immediately, even if the event triggers some more time-consuming stuff like sending emails or contacting a partner to inform them of the new balance.

Is it better to just write my own event interfaces, ExecutorService/Runnable, and Observer or Publish/Subscribe patterns? Or are there existing libraries (or built-in features I’m not aware of) that can handle some of this for me?
Thanks!

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

AstonJ
What chair do you have while working… and why? Is there a ‘best’ type of chair or working position for developers?
New
AstonJ
Want to plug where you work? Here’s your chance! Perhaps you could also mention what kind of stuff you’re working on? :nerd_face:
New
New
AstonJ
The dev world doesn’t sit still, in fact it is probably one of the fastest paced industries around - meaning to stay current we are conti...
New
OvermindDL1
What shell(s) do you use, why do you use them, and how do you have them configured? Note, this is about shell’s, not terminals, terminal...
New
dwaynebradley
In their weekly newsletter, Jared Santo from the Changelog shared this blog post by Mark Ericksen over at fly.io: What is really inter...
New
Exadra37
Kubernetes is everywhere. Transactional apps, video streaming services and machine learning workloads are finding a home on this ever-gro...
New
chaptuck
I am thinking about getting a fitness tracker of some kind (probably one from Garmin). Have any of you developed your own widgets, watchf...
New
New
DevotionGeo
I am planning to refresh my Ruby knowledge in a month or two, after using other technologies more frequently for a few years. Luckily I w...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Stop developing web apps with yesterday’s tools. Today, developers are increasingly adopting Clojure as a web-development platform. See f...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Andy and Dave wrote this influential, classic book to help their clients create better software and rediscover the joy of coding. Almost ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Free and open source software is the default choice for the technologies that run our world, and it’s built and maintained by people like...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Learn from the award-winning programming series that inspired the Elixir language, and go on a step-by-step journey through the most impo...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Write Elixir tests that you can be proud of. Dive into Elixir’s test philosophy and gain mastery over the terminology and concepts that u...
New
Margaret
Hello everyone! This thread is to tell you about what authors from The Pragmatic Bookshelf are writing on Medium.
1147 29994 760
New
Help
I am trying to crate a game for the Nintendo switch, I wanted to use Java as I am comfortable with that programming language. Can you use...
New
First poster: AstonJ
Jan | Rethink the Computer. Jan turns your computer into an AI machine by running LLMs locally on your computer. It’s a privacy-focus, l...
New
sir.laksmana_wenk
I’m able to do the “artistic” part of game-development; character designing/modeling, music, environment modeling, etc. However, I don’t...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Lint your docs like code: turn any style guide into enforceable rules with Vale and publish clear, consistent content every time. ...
New