juhp
Effective Haskell: "one" :: Int error message (p99)
In ch3, section on Reading Type Errors, the error message presented for "one " :: Int with IsString seems non-standard, ie not from a minimal ghci session perhaps? Also note the space after e.
For all current GHC 9 versions I get;
ghci> "one" :: Int
<interactive>:1:1: error:
• Couldn't match type ‘[Char]’ with ‘Int’
Expected: Int
Actual: String
• In the expression: "one" :: Int
In an equation for ‘it’: it = "one" :: Int
(ghc-8.10 is slightly different but also no IsString.)
Of course it’s quite likely one will run into the IsString error IRL… ![]()
Most Liked
RebeccaSkinner
Author of Effective Haskell
Oh yeah, that’s a great catch. I had a few default extensions enabled in ghci, including OverloadedStrings. I’ll get some errata up soon with the set of default extensions and some additional explanation. Thanks!
1
Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics
Some minor things in the paper edition that says “3 2020” on the title page verso, not mentioned in the book’s errata online:
p. 186 But...
New
Running the examples in chapter 5 c under pytest 5.4.1 causes an AttributeError: ‘module’ object has no attribute ‘config’.
In particula...
New
Hello Brian,
I have some problems with running the code in your book. I like the style of the book very much and I have learnt a lot as...
New
This isn’t directly about the book contents so maybe not the right forum…but in some of the code apps (e.g. turbo/06) it sends a TURBO_ST...
New
Title: Web Development with Clojure, Third Edition, vB17.0 (p9)
The create table guestbook syntax suggested doesn’t seem to be accepted ...
New
Is there any place where we can discuss the solutions to some of the exercises? I can figure most of them out, but am having trouble with...
New
Modern Front-End Development for Rails - application does not start after run bin/setup (page xviii)
After some hassle, I was able to finally run bin/setup, now I have started the rails server but I get this error message right when I vis...
New
@mfazio23
I’ve applied the changes from Chapter 5 of the book and everything builds correctly and runs. But, when I try to start a game,...
New
I just bought this book to learn about Android development, and I’m already running into a major issue in Ch. 1, p. 20: “Update activity...
New
@mfazio23
Android Studio will not accept anything I do when trying to use the Transformations class, as described on pp. 140-141. Googl...
New
Other popular topics
Algorithms and data structures are much more than abstract concepts. Mastering them enables you to write code that runs faster and more e...
New
New
No chair. I have a standing desk.
This post was split into a dedicated thread from our thread about chairs :slight_smile:
New
I’ve been hearing quite a lot of comments relating to the sound of a keyboard, with one of the most desirable of these called ‘thock’, he...
New
The V Programming Language
Simple language for building maintainable programs
V is already mentioned couple of times in the forum, but I...
New
Use WebRTC to build web applications that stream media and data in real time directly from one user to another, all in the browser.
...
New
If you get Can't find emacs in your PATH when trying to install Doom Emacs on your Mac you… just… need to install Emacs first! :lol:
bre...
New
New
Big O Notation can make your code faster by orders of magnitude. Get the hands-on info you need to master data structures and algorithms ...
New
Node.js v22.14.0 has been released.
Link: Release 2025-02-11, Version 22.14.0 'Jod' (LTS), @aduh95 · nodejs/node · GitHub
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Popular Portals
- /elixir
- /rust
- /wasm
- /ruby
- /erlang
- /phoenix
- /keyboards
- /python
- /js
- /rails
- /security
- /go
- /swift
- /vim
- /java
- /clojure
- /typescript
- /emacs
- /haskell
- /svelte
- /onivim
- /kotlin
- /react
- /c-plus-plus
- /crystal
- /tailwind
- /gleam
- /ocaml
- /elm
- /vscode
- /flutter
- /html
- /ash
- /deepseek
- /zig
- /opensuse
- /centos
- /php
- /scala
- /react-native
- /lisp
- /textmate
- /sublime-text
- /nixos
- /debian
- /agda
- /deno
- /django
- /kubuntu
- /nodejs
- /arch-linux
- /ubuntu
- /spring
- /revery
- /manjaro
- /julia
- /quarkus
- /lua
- /diversity
- /markdown









