molleweide

molleweide

Effective Haskell: Calculator throws errors in parse'

@RebeccaSkinner,

Allright, so I have put all of the example code for Calculator in chapter 4 on page ~140 in a file and when loading it into GHCI it throws this:

    λ: :reload
    [1 of 1] Compiling Calculator       ( Calculator.hs, interpreted )

    Calculator.hs:40:9: error:
        • Couldn't match expected type ‘String -> Either String a1’
                      with actual type ‘Either String b0’
        • In the pattern: Left err
          In a case alternative: Left err -> Left err
          In the expression:
            case readEither of
              Left err -> Left err
              Right lit' -> Right (Lit lit', rest)
       |
    40 |         Left err -> Left err
       |         ^^^^^^^^

    Calculator.hs:41:9: error:
        • Couldn't match expected type ‘String -> Either String a1’
                      with actual type ‘Either a0 Int’
        • In the pattern: Right lit'
          In a case alternative: Right lit' -> Right (Lit lit', rest)
          In the expression:
            case readEither of
              Left err -> Left err
              Right lit' -> Right (Lit lit', rest)
       |
    41 |         Right lit' -> Right (Lit lit', rest)
       |         ^^^^^^^^^^
    Failed, no modules loaded.

I am not sure if maybe there is something that you forgot to add or that should be added.

Below I post my full calculator module:

module Calculator where

import Text.Read (readEither)

data Expr = Lit Int
  | Add Expr Expr
  | Sub Expr Expr
  | Mul Expr Expr
  | Div Expr Expr

eval :: Expr -> Int
eval expr =
  case expr of
    Lit num -> num
    Add arg1 arg2 -> eval' ( + ) arg1 arg2
    Sub arg1 arg2 -> eval' ( - ) arg1 arg2
    Mul arg1 arg2 -> eval' ( * ) arg1 arg2
    Div arg1 arg2 -> eval' div arg1 arg2
    where
      eval' :: (Int -> Int -> Int) -> Expr -> Expr -> Int
      eval' operator arg1 arg2 = operator (eval arg1) (eval arg2)

parse :: String -> Either String Expr
parse str =
  case parse' (words str) of
    Left err          -> Left err
    Right (e, [])     -> Right e
    Right (_, rest)   -> Left $ "Found extra tokens: " <> (unwords rest)

parse' :: [String] -> Either String (Expr, [String])
parse' [] = Left "unexpected end of expression"
parse' (token:rest) =
  case token of
    "+" -> parseBinary Add rest
    "*" -> parseBinary Mul rest
    "-" -> parseBinary Sub rest
    "/" -> parseBinary Div rest
    lit ->
      case readEither of
        Left err -> Left err
        Right lit' -> Right (Lit lit', rest)

parseBinary :: (Expr -> Expr -> Expr) -> [String] -> Either String (Expr, [String])
parseBinary exprConstructor args =
  case parse' args of
    Left err -> Left err
    Right (firstArg, rest') ->
      case parse' rest' of
        Left err -> Left err
        Right (secondArg, rest'') ->
          Right $ (exprConstructor firstArg secondArg, rest'')

run :: String -> String
run expr =
  case parse expr of
    Left err -> "Error: " <> err
    Right expr' ->
      let answer = show $ eval expr'
      in "The answer is: " <> answer

First Post!

RebeccaSkinner

RebeccaSkinner

Author of Effective Haskell

Hi, it looks like you’re missing the lit parameter to readEither in the parse' function. The correct version of the function is:

parse' :: [String] -> Either String (Expr, [String])
parse' [] = Left "unexpected end of expression"
parse' (token:rest) =
  case token of
    "+" -> parseBinary Add rest
    "*" -> parseBinary Mul rest
    "-" -> parseBinary Sub rest
    "/" -> parseBinary Div rest
    lit ->
      case readEither lit of
        Left err -> Left err
        Right lit' -> Right (Lit lit', rest)

It looks like this is fixed in the most recent version- thanks for the catch and sorry for the trouble!

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

jimschubert
In Chapter 3, the source for index introduces Config on page 31, followed by more code including tests; Config isn’t introduced until pag...
New
ianwillie
Hello Brian, I have some problems with running the code in your book. I like the style of the book very much and I have learnt a lot as...
New
jesse050717
Title: Web Development with Clojure, Third Edition, pg 116 Hi - I just started chapter 5 and I am stuck on page 116 while trying to star...
New
rmurray10127
Title: Intuitive Python: docker run… denied error (page 2) Attempted to run the docker command in both CLI and Powershell PS C:\Users\r...
New
New
swlaschin
The book has the same “Problem space/Solution space” diagram on page 18 as is on page 17. The correct Problem/Solution space diagrams ar...
New
brian-m-ops
#book-python-testing-with-pytest-second-edition Hi. Thanks for writing the book. I am just learning so this might just of been an issue ...
New
New
creminology
Skimming ahead, much of the following is explained in Chapter 3, but new readers (like me!) will hit a roadblock in Chapter 2 with their ...
New
dtonhofer
@parrt In the context of Chapter 4.3, the grammar Java.g4, meant to parse Java 6 compilation units, no longer passes ANTLR (currently 4....
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Stop developing web apps with yesterday’s tools. Today, developers are increasingly adopting Clojure as a web-development platform. See f...
New
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Write Elixir tests that you can be proud of. Dive into Elixir’s test philosophy and gain mastery over the terminology and concepts that u...
New
AstonJ
I ended up cancelling my Moonlander order as I think it’s just going to be a bit too bulky for me. I think the Planck and the Preonic (o...
New
dimitarvp
Small essay with thoughts on macOS vs. Linux: I know @Exadra37 is just waiting around the corner to scream at me “I TOLD YOU SO!!!” but I...
New
mafinar
This is going to be a long an frequently posted thread. While talking to a friend of mine who has taken data structure and algorithm cou...
New
AstonJ
Was just curious to see if any were around, found this one: I got 51/100: Not sure if it was meant to buy I am sure at times the b...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Leverage Elixir and the Nx ecosystem to build intelligent applications that solve real-world problems in computer vision, natural languag...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Fight complexity and reclaim the original spirit of agility by learning to simplify how you develop software. The result: a more humane a...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Use advanced functional programming principles, practical Domain-Driven Design techniques, and production-ready Elixir code to build scal...
New

Sub Categories: