dominick

dominick

Designing Game Systems That Teach Without a Tutorial

Hey everyone,

I’ve been working in digital board game development for a while now, and one recurring challenge we face is designing systems that don’t rely on heavy tutorials to onboard players. Unlike traditional games, many board games are about understanding the flow of rules and mechanics organically — which forces us as devs to think differently about how we communicate gameplay.

In our recent projects, we started using design patterns that gradually expose rules through context rather than instruction, like:

  • Embedding the core rule logic directly into early game choices
  • Designing actions that teach consequences by doing (not telling)
  • Using visual repetition to establish rhythm and logic

It’s pushed me to rethink a lot about how humans process rules, friction, and choice.

Curious if others here have tackled similar UX or system design challenges — especially when you’re building for players who aren’t “gamers” in the traditional sense. How do you balance clarity, challenge, and trust in the user?

Looking forward to hearing your take.

First Post!

AstonJ

AstonJ

I don’t play many board games but for general video games I like those which expose things as you go, or where the initial parts of the game are the tutorials. What I really hate is playing a game and not knowing what I’m supposed to do, and at times I’ve abandoned games because of it. So I’d say make sure you teach people how to play the game as early on as you can and progress based on how well it appears the player has grasped the rules/gameplay :023:

Where Next?

Popular Game Dev topics Top

AstonJ
Not sure how much I missed but: Anyone else been watching it?
New
bot
A new item has been posted: This thread was posted automatically, if you feel it could be in a better category and are at Trust Level ...
New
New
New
vct0g
What’s the Most Challenging and Time-Consuming Aspect of Game NPC Development?
New
axenteflorin24
1691 Maze Escaper, in this video game the character played by the great and unique Rimescu Şmenărescu. Who is this Rimescu Şmenărescu rea...
New
RakanHaddadSoftware
The fate of deadly dynamite blowing up is in your hands! You must prevent dynamite from touching nasty fireballs, or else it will blow up...
New
Gameosophy
Hello Game Developers! Are you tired of starting from scratch on your game development projects? Look no further! At Gameosophy www.gam...
New
AideedGameZ
I make a cafe relax game that is free and WebGL. The challenge is you need to earn as much as possible so you can pay your bills and rent.
New
tehnewb
Hello everyone! I’ve been developing a 2D game engine since October or something like that and the goal is to just make something simple,...
New

Other popular topics Top

dasdom
No chair. I have a standing desk. This post was split into a dedicated thread from our thread about chairs :slight_smile:
New
Rainer
My first contact with Erlang was about 2 years ago when I used RabbitMQ, which is written in Erlang, for my job. This made me curious and...
New
AstonJ
There’s a whole world of custom keycaps out there that I didn’t know existed! Check out all of our Keycaps threads here: https://forum....
New
New
Exadra37
Oh just spent so much time on this to discover now that RancherOS is in end of life but Rancher is refusing to mark the Github repo as su...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build highly interactive applications without ever leaving Elixir, the way the experts do. Let LiveView take care of performance, scalabi...
New
AstonJ
If you get Can't find emacs in your PATH when trying to install Doom Emacs on your Mac you… just… need to install Emacs first! :lol: bre...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A concise guide to MySQL 9 database administration, covering fundamental concepts, techniques, and best practices. Neil Smyth MySQL...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Use advanced functional programming principles, practical Domain-Driven Design techniques, and production-ready Elixir code to build scal...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Lint your docs like code: turn any style guide into enforceable rules with Vale and publish clear, consistent content every time. ...
New