fatpossum

fatpossum

Sharing my story: made games without knowing what I’m doing

Hey everyone, I’m 36 and just wanted to introduce myself. Years ago, I dabbled a bit with batch code and GB Studio. Around 2023, thanks to ChatGPT, I started playing around with Python for fun - first with Pygame. Eventually, I got hooked on a project and decided to use Kivy, since it seemed simple enough for my idea (even though I honestly barely understand what I’m doing).

I’ve realized it’s probably better to learn programming properly from the ground up rather than just copy-pasting stuff. I even have a great Python book, but I’m just not reading enough. My code structure is a total mess.

At first, I wanted to release my project on Android - figured the Play Store only costs $20 once, so why not? To test things on my phone, I started a simpler side project, but that quickly became too much because a) I lack real knowledge, and b) I get lost in useless details. I also learned that mobile games aren’t as easy as they seem, so I decided to shift the main project to PC.

Still, I kept working on the mobile game, but that wasn’t possible without outside help. I noticed that things running fine on PC can look completely different on mobile - and what works on one phone might break on another, depending on the code. Total chaos! Meanwhile, yet another side project popped up.

After investing quite a bit in a Kivy expert from India (who also struggled with my messy code), the next big hurdle was publishing to the Play Store. That alone turned out to be a whole different beast. Honestly, if I had known all this beforehand, I might not have started.

Anyway, both apps are now on the Play Store, though no one really cares about them - which is fair. They’re simple and cost a dollar/euro in richer countries. I just wanted to try my luck and maybe earn a little through ad-free games (I’d love to quit my social job one day - but that’s another story :D).

Still, I’m proud to have made it this far - with a lot of help. Now it’s time to focus on the main project, though the planned release for August 8, 2025 (World Cat Day) probably won’t happen. I’m going through a tough time personally and don’t have the energy to finish it right now. Maybe I should’ve started with something less complex - this game is packed with complicated formulas.

If you want, feel free to check it out. By the way, I used AI-generated graphics in both games. I know some people criticize that - there’s definitely room for improvement - but I enjoy using it for my projects. I’m also happy to send out free Android codes if anyone’s interested. And if you have ideas for beginner-friendly coding projects for someone with limited brain bandwidth, I’m all ears :slight_smile: Feedback and honest opinions are more than welcome!

Here are my games (well, one of them is more of a button meme app):

:left_arrow_curving_right: Purrfect Galaxies (Steam)
:left_arrow_curving_right: Meowglider (Android)
:left_arrow_curving_right: Mobile Doomer Simulator (Android)

First Post!

AstonJ

AstonJ

Nice one, congrats!

You may want to look at creating iPhone or Mac apps too - I built one quite a way back with MacRuby (now rubymotion) and I set it to the lowest cost (99p at the time) and iirc it was earning about £40/£50 a month and it was a very simple app: Have you made or worked on a macOS app? - #2 by AstonJ

Where Next?

Popular Game Dev topics Top

AstonJ
Anything stand out for anyone? A few live-streams out there:
New
First poster: bot
PS5 Teardown: An up-close and personal look at the console hardware. Your first look at PS5’s internal components* that will power the n...
New
First poster: bot
Sony Unveils ‘Spatial Reality Display’ with Eye-tracking for Glasses-free 3D Viewing. Sony recently unveiled Spatial Reality Display, a ...
New
New
Norpoleon
Team JethKo - Knee Deep is a detective adventure with role-playing elements & turn-based combat. What started as a small project tur...
New
RobertRichards
FEI Equestriad World Tour This game is mainly developed to amuse horse racing lovers. What makes this game quite engaging is the realist...
New
buslovskyi_design
Hello, dear Developers! My name is Alex, and I specialize in creating custom covers and logos for games designed for the Steam platform....
New
AstonJ
Inspired by this UE5 demo: Which has got to the stage now where simulations are more and more life-like -and where it feel...
New
Paz
Hi there! I’m hosting a jam with my team and would like to invite you to participate :slight_smile: It’s about building just one level o...
New
MMORPG2D
Date Started: 6th august 2026 → Mid Beta Needs alot of work still but has the foundation (just need feedback) Runescape Skills/Attack st...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Stop developing web apps with yesterday’s tools. Today, developers are increasingly adopting Clojure as a web-development platform. See f...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Free and open source software is the default choice for the technologies that run our world, and it’s built and maintained by people like...
New
Exadra37
I am thinking in building or buy a desktop computer for programing, both professionally and on my free time, and my choice of OS is Linux...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
From finance to artificial intelligence, genetic algorithms are a powerful tool with a wide array of applications. But you don't need an ...
New
AstonJ
There’s a whole world of custom keycaps out there that I didn’t know existed! Check out all of our Keycaps threads here: https://forum....
New
dimitarvp
Small essay with thoughts on macOS vs. Linux: I know @Exadra37 is just waiting around the corner to scream at me “I TOLD YOU SO!!!” but I...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Jamis Buck @jamis This month, we have the pleasure of spotlighting author Jamis Buck, who has written Mazes for Prog...
New
AstonJ
This is cool! DEEPSEEK-V3 ON M4 MAC: BLAZING FAST INFERENCE ON APPLE SILICON We just witnessed something incredible: the largest open-s...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Escape callback hell and ship fast, clean code that reads as smoothly as it runs. Squash bugs and stamp out memory leaks with an intuitiv...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
As digital systems increasingly run the world, mastery of the recurring patterns of software development risk is the key to fast and effe...
New