harwind
CSS Transitions: How to Create Smooth Hover Effects
I’m working on a web project and I want to add smooth hover effects to elements on my webpage using CSS transitions. Specifically, I’d like to change the background color and text color of a button when a user hovers over it.
Here’s what I have so far in my CSS code:
.button {
background-color: #3498db;
color: #fff;
padding: 10px 20px;
text-align: center;
text-decoration: none;
display: inline-block;
font-size: 16px;
margin: 4px 2px;
cursor: pointer;
border-radius: 4px;
}
.button:hover {
background-color: #2980b9;
color: #fff;
}
While this works, the transition between the original and hover states is abrupt. How can I create a smoother transition effect, so the color change appears gradual and fluid?
I’d appreciate it if you could provide guidance on how to use CSS transitions to achieve this smooth hover effect, including any necessary CSS properties and values. Thank you for your help!
Popular General Dev topics
If you’re a fan, why?
If you’re not fussed on it, how comes?
New
What do you think needs fixing in the digital / computer science sphere?
New
Cloudflare as workers to run serverless code without using containers:
So it seems that Isolates is based on:
What we ended up settl...
New
If you could work on any project, what would it be? :upside_down_face:
New
This is all going to be a bit hand-wavey and straight off the top of my head, so bear with me, but it’s a thought/debate that’s been ratt...
New
Hello Fellow developers,
I have been trying to wrap my head around How difficult would it have been to be a dev 20-30 years ago?
I have...
New
Hi folks,
I don’t know if I saw this here but, here’s a new programming language, called Roc
Reminds me a bit of Elm and thus Haskell. ...
New
Hi all, does anybody tried Shankar Devy’s Phoenix Inside Out book series?
Also, will there be a big difference (aside from context prior...
New
Amazon CodeWhisperer is an alternative to GitHub Copilot, and it’s free!
New
I don’t know what happened today. But I just started reading SICP which I meant to do for a long time.
The book itself:
I’m not even s...
New
Other popular topics
Brace yourself for a fun challenge: build a photorealistic 3D renderer from scratch! In just a couple of weeks, build a ray tracer that r...
New
My first contact with Erlang was about 2 years ago when I used RabbitMQ, which is written in Erlang, for my job. This made me curious and...
New
There’s a whole world of custom keycaps out there that I didn’t know existed!
Check out all of our Keycaps threads here:
https://forum....
New
Just done a fresh install of macOS Big Sur and on installing Erlang I am getting:
asdf install erlang 23.1.2
Configure failed.
checking ...
New
I am asking for any distro that only has the bare-bones to be able to get a shell in the server and then just install the packages as we ...
New
Create efficient, elegant software tests in pytest, Python's most powerful testing framework.
Brian Okken @brianokken
Edited by Kat...
New
This is going to be a long an frequently posted thread.
While talking to a friend of mine who has taken data structure and algorithm cou...
New
Inside our android webview app, we are trying to paste the copied content from another app eg (notes) using navigator.clipboard.readtext ...
New
Author Spotlight:
Bruce Tate
@redrapids
Programming languages always emerge out of need, and if that’s not always true, they’re defin...
New
There’s a GitHub repo at forrestchang/andrej-karpathy-skills that’s sitting at 97.8k stars. It’s a single CLAUDE.md file with four behavi...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
- All
- In The News (11369)
- Dev Chat
- Questions (37)
- Resources (122)
- Blogs/Talks (29)
- Jobs (3)
- Events (15)
- Code Editors (59)
- Hardware (60)
- Reviews (5)
- Sales (16)
- Design & UX (5)
- Marketing & SEO (2)
- Industry & Culture (14)
- Ethics & Privacy (19)
- Business (4)
- Learning Methods (7)
- Content Creators (7)
- DevOps & Hosting (14)
Popular Portals
- /elixir
- /rust
- /wasm
- /ruby
- /erlang
- /phoenix
- /keyboards
- /python
- /js
- /rails
- /security
- /go
- /swift
- /vim
- /java
- /clojure
- /typescript
- /emacs
- /haskell
- /svelte
- /onivim
- /kotlin
- /react
- /c-plus-plus
- /crystal
- /tailwind
- /gleam
- /ocaml
- /elm
- /vscode
- /flutter
- /html
- /ash
- /deepseek
- /zig
- /opensuse
- /centos
- /php
- /scala
- /react-native
- /lisp
- /sublime-text
- /textmate
- /nixos
- /debian
- /agda
- /deno
- /django
- /kubuntu
- /arch-linux
- /nodejs
- /ubuntu
- /spring
- /revery
- /manjaro
- /julia
- /diversity
- /quarkus
- /lua
- /markdown









