skellt

skellt

Apple Game Frameworks and Technologies: SKEffectNode not centered (p 149, B3)

On page 149 (of Beta 3) is this code to add a glow effect to the gloop droplets:

// Add glow effect
let effectNode = SKEffectNode()
effectNode.shouldRasterize = true
addChild(effectNode) 
effectNode.addChild(SKSpriteNode(texture: texture)) 
effectNode.filter = CIFilter(name: "CIGaussianBlur", parameters: ["inputRadius":40.0])

When run this shows a circular glow effect centered at the very top of the droplet where the drop number label is. The glow proceeds down about half of the drop and doesn’t provide any glow around the fattest part of the droplet. Much of glow is radiating out around the number label.

It does not look like the photo on page 149 which shows the glow surrounding the whole drop.

The cause is that the drop is a collectible which has the anchor point set to the middle top. The effect node was not given a position and is therefore centered on the anchor point by default.

To fix it in my code I added:

        effectNode.position = CGPoint(x: 0, y: -(frame.height / 2.0))

to position to effectNode halfway down the droplet in the true center.

I tried running the sample project in the end folder and it has the same bug with the glow not being centered the same way as the photo in the book.

Marked As Solved

Paradox927

Paradox927

Author and Editor at PragProg

Hi, David.

The image on that page was done in post since it was very difficult to capture a screenshot of a falling drop with any level of success.

Regarding the effect node’s position: I prefer to have the glow closer to the top of the drop to help the number stand out, which is why I didn’t adjust its position; but, yes, moving the effect node’s position—as you did—will more closely match the image in the book.

I may end up recreating that image, if possible. And I’ve updated the text to read:

Build and run the project, and you’ll see a faint glow around the top of each drop.

You’ll see this update in the next release. Thanks for letting me know.

EDIT: Good news! I was able to adjust the image. Thank goodness for source files and layers! :smile:

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

mikecargal
Title: Hands-On Rust (Chap 8 (Adding a Heads Up Display) It looks like ​.with_simple_console_no_bg​(SCREEN_WIDTH*2, SCREEN_HEIGHT*2...
New
mikecargal
Title: Hands-On Rust (Chapter 11: prefab) Just played a couple of amulet-less games. With a bit of debugging, I believe that your can_p...
New
Mmm
Hi, build fails on: bracket-lib = “~0.8.1” when running on Mac Mini M1 Rust version 1.5.0: Compiling winit v0.22.2 error[E0308]: mi...
New
cro
I am working on the “Your Turn” for chapter one and building out the restart button talked about on page 27. It recommends looking into ...
New
adamwoolhether
When trying to generate the protobuf .go file, I receive this error: Unknown flag: --go_opt libprotoc 3.12.3 MacOS 11.3.1 Googling ...
New
jgchristopher
“The ProductLive.Index template calls a helper function, live_component/3, that in turn calls on the modal component. ” Excerpt From: Br...
New
jskubick
I’m under the impression that when the reader gets to page 136 (“View Data with the Database Inspector”), the code SHOULD be able to buil...
New
mert
AWDWR 7, page 152, page 153: Hello everyone, I’m a little bit lost on the hotwire part. I didn’t fully understand it. On page 152 @rub...
New
dtonhofer
@parrt In the context of Chapter 4.3, the grammar Java.g4, meant to parse Java 6 compilation units, no longer passes ANTLR (currently 4....
New
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Machine learning can be intimidating, with its reliance on math and algorithms that most programmers don't encounter in their regular wor...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Andy and Dave wrote this influential, classic book to help their clients create better software and rediscover the joy of coding. Almost ...
New
Exadra37
Please tell us what is your preferred monitor setup for programming(not gaming) and why you have chosen it. Does your monitor have eye p...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Create efficient, elegant software tests in pytest, Python's most powerful testing framework. Brian Okken @brianokken Edited by Kat...
New
foxtrottwist
A few weeks ago I started using Warp a terminal written in rust. Though in it’s current state of development there are a few caveats (tab...
New
mafinar
This is going to be a long an frequently posted thread. While talking to a friend of mine who has taken data structure and algorithm cou...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Mike Riley @mriley This month, we turn the spotlight on Mike Riley, author of Portable Python Projects. Mike’s book ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Rebecca Skinner @RebeccaSkinner Welcome to our latest author spotlight, where we sit down with Rebecca Skinner, auth...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A masterclass in the fundamentals and principles of functional programming. Minh Quang Tran The Art of Functional Programming is a ma...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
This book forgoes the abstract and instead provides concrete examples to help you better leverage the unique properties of Elixir, Erlang...
New

Sub Categories: