whatever

whatever

Apple Game Frameworks and Technologies: Gravity “speed” vs. “acceleration”

In Chapter 3, subsection “A Closer Look at Physics Bodies”, sidebar box “The Gravity of the Situation”:

It refers to “speed” when it should be “acceleration”. 9.8m/s is the rate of acceleration for a falling object on Earth (in the absence of resistance).

Thanks (I’m just a few chapters in, but finding the book good and useful so far).

Marked As Solved

Paradox927

Paradox927

Author and Editor at PragProg

This might be my favorite thread.

The short story is this: you are correct, so I’ve updated the book. Thank you. :blush:

The longer story, and the reason why I really like this thread, is because I didn’t realize the difference between speed and acceleration—at least not in the context of Earth’s gravity. I guess I never really gave it much thought, to be honest, but your comment sparked a desire for me to learn more about it.

So, I found a few articles, watched a few videos, and learned something new—and probably something I should have already known, so thank you (again).

P.S. I’m glad you’re enjoying the book.

Also Liked

whatever

whatever

I have such a big happy grin reading your response :smile_cat:

Physics was the one field of science I really geeked out on in school. The stuff around velocity (measuring instantaneous velocity vs. the positional graph of an object over time, etc.) totally fascinated me and has stuck all these years later (when so many others of my early school lessons are lost to the embers of time :laughing:).

As to the book, I’m a couple more chapters in and still enjoying it. Hoping to get a youngling in my life interested in collaborating on making a little game (or more than one) to get her engaged in coding.

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

mikecargal
Title: Hands-On Rust (Chap 8 (Adding a Heads Up Display) It looks like ​.with_simple_console_no_bg​(SCREEN_WIDTH*2, SCREEN_HEIGHT*2...
New
mikecargal
Title: Hands-On Rust (Chapter 11: prefab) Just played a couple of amulet-less games. With a bit of debugging, I believe that your can_p...
New
Mmm
Hi, build fails on: bracket-lib = “~0.8.1” when running on Mac Mini M1 Rust version 1.5.0: Compiling winit v0.22.2 error[E0308]: mi...
New
cro
I am working on the “Your Turn” for chapter one and building out the restart button talked about on page 27. It recommends looking into ...
New
adamwoolhether
When trying to generate the protobuf .go file, I receive this error: Unknown flag: --go_opt libprotoc 3.12.3 MacOS 11.3.1 Googling ...
New
jgchristopher
“The ProductLive.Index template calls a helper function, live_component/3, that in turn calls on the modal component. ” Excerpt From: Br...
New
jskubick
I’m under the impression that when the reader gets to page 136 (“View Data with the Database Inspector”), the code SHOULD be able to buil...
New
mert
AWDWR 7, page 152, page 153: Hello everyone, I’m a little bit lost on the hotwire part. I didn’t fully understand it. On page 152 @rub...
New
dtonhofer
@parrt In the context of Chapter 4.3, the grammar Java.g4, meant to parse Java 6 compilation units, no longer passes ANTLR (currently 4....
New
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Machine learning can be intimidating, with its reliance on math and algorithms that most programmers don't encounter in their regular wor...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Andy and Dave wrote this influential, classic book to help their clients create better software and rediscover the joy of coding. Almost ...
New
Exadra37
Please tell us what is your preferred monitor setup for programming(not gaming) and why you have chosen it. Does your monitor have eye p...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Create efficient, elegant software tests in pytest, Python's most powerful testing framework. Brian Okken @brianokken Edited by Kat...
New
foxtrottwist
A few weeks ago I started using Warp a terminal written in rust. Though in it’s current state of development there are a few caveats (tab...
New
mafinar
This is going to be a long an frequently posted thread. While talking to a friend of mine who has taken data structure and algorithm cou...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Mike Riley @mriley This month, we turn the spotlight on Mike Riley, author of Portable Python Projects. Mike’s book ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Rebecca Skinner @RebeccaSkinner Welcome to our latest author spotlight, where we sit down with Rebecca Skinner, auth...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A masterclass in the fundamentals and principles of functional programming. Minh Quang Tran The Art of Functional Programming is a ma...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
This book forgoes the abstract and instead provides concrete examples to help you better leverage the unique properties of Elixir, Erlang...
New

Sub Categories: