AstonJ

AstonJ

What would your ideal programming language be like?

Always interested in hearing people’s thoughts on what’s next or what’s possible! What would your ideal programming language be like?

  • OOP?
  • Functional?
  • A mix?
  • What type of concurrency model would it have?
  • What kind of syntax?

I wonder if we could make a Devtalk / DT language :joy: (Just kidding!)

Most Liked

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

I’d use LISP and wouldn’t complain but as I’ve said on other places (ElixirForum) I fear that people inevitably get sucked into “my own favourite DSL” hell where a project becomes un-maintainable by anyone except the original creators. You can definitely abuse macros! And I’ve met several people who couldn’t resist that temptation. (Of course, they might have done it deliberately for job security reasons as well.)

I do really like homoiconic languages but I wonder how can we guarantee maintainability.

Failing that, I’d go for OCaml without a few things like OOP, and making the mutability mechanics work like in Rust (namely with a lot of compiler nagging).

Elixir I definitely love but the lack of static typing and the quirkiness of Dialyzer’s typespec syntax is… not nice.

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

Don’t think of the objects in OCaml as being like OOP, they are row-typed records (unlike normal records that are nominal records), and thinking of them like that should make their usages clear. :slight_smile:

But oh yes please an OCaml with no GC and rust-like lifetime management, maybe go full on refined or even dependent typing, and for the algebraic effects system to finally get finished and merged in! All that would be so nice, lol.

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

Lisp, a strongly typed lisp, lol.

Really though, Lisp is the language that can be become anything, gain any feature or capability, in any way you can really imagine, including gaining any syntax you could possibly want (read-macro’s are wonderful, you can have a python syntax, C, whatever you want to make a parser for, lol).

I wish it were more popular, but two things conspire against it:

  1. It was originally conceptually tied to the original ‘AI’ movement in the 70’s/80’s, and when it died it brought down Lisp with it (Lisp was used because it was the best language that was expressive enough for that work).
  2. A lot of people fear parenthesis explosion, even though it’s really not bad at all once you get used to it. ^.^

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

AstonJ
The obligatory speed test thread :smiley: Check here: https://www.speedtest.net When complete, click on the share link and copy and pas...
New
wolf4earth
Inspired by this thread about arcade games - which I initially misread as favorite arcade game soundtracks - I wanted to ask about your f...
New
AstonJ
:smiling_imp: What is your preferred syntax style and why? Perhaps we can add examples and use the code below as a simple reference poi...
New
chasekaylee
I’ve been using the classic notebook to-do list, but I’m curious to hear what awesome tools are out there that I am not aware of. I’m alw...
New
AstonJ
Things like smart speakers (such Amazon Alexa), smart TVs or other devices with built in microphones, cameras or with other features that...
New
AstonJ
Maybe a specific language or framework? Or a book or tool perhaps? What’s made your life easier and what do you think could make the live...
New
AstonJ
00:00 The Year 2022 00:38 Web3 03:28 Metaverse 05:05 AI 06:22 Databases 07:31 JavaScript 09:58 Other Trends to Know WDYT - what wi...
New
AstonJ
Do we have any digital nomads here? Anyone fancy it? If so, which countries would you consider? I’ve been toying with the idea for a wh...
New
DevotionGeo
Hi everyone! I bought this domain name when I was planning to create a website like ElixirSchool.com, but that didn’t ever happen. Now ...
New
DevotionGeo
I am planning to refresh my Ruby knowledge in a month or two, after using other technologies more frequently for a few years. Luckily I w...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Andy and Dave wrote this influential, classic book to help their clients create better software and rediscover the joy of coding. Almost ...
New
AstonJ
There’s a whole world of custom keycaps out there that I didn’t know existed! Check out all of our Keycaps threads here: https://forum....
New
foxtrottwist
A few weeks ago I started using Warp a terminal written in rust. Though in it’s current state of development there are a few caveats (tab...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Rails 7 completely redefines what it means to produce fantastic user experiences and provides a way to achieve all the benefits of single...
New
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build modern server-driven web applications using htmx. Whatever programming language you use, you’ll write less (and cleaner) code. ...
New
AstonJ
This is cool! DEEPSEEK-V3 ON M4 MAC: BLAZING FAST INFERENCE ON APPLE SILICON We just witnessed something incredible: the largest open-s...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Escape callback hell and ship fast, clean code that reads as smoothly as it runs. Squash bugs and stamp out memory leaks with an intuitiv...
New
mindriot
Ok, well here are some thoughts and opinions on some of the ergonomic keyboards I have, I guess like mini review of each that I use enoug...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Use advanced functional programming principles, practical Domain-Driven Design techniques, and production-ready Elixir code to build scal...
New