Korbin73

Korbin73

Unison programming language

Has anyone ever heard of this language? https://www.unisonweb.org/ I’m completely fascinated by the main idea of this language. I like seeing ideas that explore workflows outside of author a bunch of text files, shove them into a compiler and wait for the results. I’m a fan of interactive programming, where I’m getting feedback as I author the code. SmallTalk was about interactively which seems to have been lost in the last few decades when it comes to development. One of the creators also has done several talks on the language. Here is one of them:

Even if this language doesn’t see a lot of traction, I hope the idea behind it does.

Most Liked

AstonJ

AstonJ

Initial thoughts: Sounds awesome!!

What is Unison? It is an open-source, statically typed functional langauge. Influenced by Haskell, Erlang and a research language called Frank. Unison itself has been a research project for several years and we’ve just started alpha testing (public).

LOVE the branding, and everything he’s said in the first two minutes. Especially this:

We want to make programming more fun, simpler, easier and eliminate needless complexity and do that by willing to rethink pretty much anything and everything about how programming currently works.

What’s not to like about that?!! :nerd_face:

I’m sure I’ve heard their core idea before - didn’t Joe Armstrong also say code should be identified not by it’s name but by a hash of its content?

I’ve only watched the first few minutes but I love everything about this language already - it even has it’s tag line on point:

A friendly programming language from the future.

Definitely one to watch!!

Thanks for sharing Lee!!

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

AstonJ
The obligatory speed test thread :smiley: Check here: https://www.speedtest.net When complete, click on the share link and copy and pas...
New
wolf4earth
Inspired by this thread about arcade games - which I initially misread as favorite arcade game soundtracks - I wanted to ask about your f...
New
AstonJ
:smiling_imp: What is your preferred syntax style and why? Perhaps we can add examples and use the code below as a simple reference poi...
New
chasekaylee
I’ve been using the classic notebook to-do list, but I’m curious to hear what awesome tools are out there that I am not aware of. I’m alw...
New
AstonJ
Things like smart speakers (such Amazon Alexa), smart TVs or other devices with built in microphones, cameras or with other features that...
New
AstonJ
Maybe a specific language or framework? Or a book or tool perhaps? What’s made your life easier and what do you think could make the live...
New
AstonJ
00:00 The Year 2022 00:38 Web3 03:28 Metaverse 05:05 AI 06:22 Databases 07:31 JavaScript 09:58 Other Trends to Know WDYT - what wi...
New
AstonJ
Do we have any digital nomads here? Anyone fancy it? If so, which countries would you consider? I’ve been toying with the idea for a wh...
New
DevotionGeo
Hi everyone! I bought this domain name when I was planning to create a website like ElixirSchool.com, but that didn’t ever happen. Now ...
New
DevotionGeo
I am planning to refresh my Ruby knowledge in a month or two, after using other technologies more frequently for a few years. Luckily I w...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Andy and Dave wrote this influential, classic book to help their clients create better software and rediscover the joy of coding. Almost ...
New
AstonJ
There’s a whole world of custom keycaps out there that I didn’t know existed! Check out all of our Keycaps threads here: https://forum....
New
foxtrottwist
A few weeks ago I started using Warp a terminal written in rust. Though in it’s current state of development there are a few caveats (tab...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Rails 7 completely redefines what it means to produce fantastic user experiences and provides a way to achieve all the benefits of single...
New
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build modern server-driven web applications using htmx. Whatever programming language you use, you’ll write less (and cleaner) code. ...
New
AstonJ
This is cool! DEEPSEEK-V3 ON M4 MAC: BLAZING FAST INFERENCE ON APPLE SILICON We just witnessed something incredible: the largest open-s...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Escape callback hell and ship fast, clean code that reads as smoothly as it runs. Squash bugs and stamp out memory leaks with an intuitiv...
New
mindriot
Ok, well here are some thoughts and opinions on some of the ergonomic keyboards I have, I guess like mini review of each that I use enoug...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Use advanced functional programming principles, practical Domain-Driven Design techniques, and production-ready Elixir code to build scal...
New