CommunityNews

CommunityNews

The Myths, Not So Myths, and Truths about Data Science

As a student, when I was starting to seriously consider Data Science (DS) as a career option, the first thing that came to mind was where I should start or even before that, what I should learn first! Like many others, I too started with an online course from John Hopkins University. The course introduced me to R for the first time. Then I started taking analytics courses offered at my university. Eventually, my learning path consists of in-person, and online university courses, and a whole bunch of personal projects. Also, I dabbled into Kaggle for a while. Why I didn’t do it more, that probably a discussion for another day but in short I found it difficult to get any tangible benefit out of Kaggle with the time I had in my hand. Gradually I grew interest in making predictive models useful to the users. I got introduced to the world of web applications!

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

Where Next?

Popular Other Fields topics Top

CommunityNews
Data. It’s everywhere and we’re only getting more of it. For the last 5-10 years, data science has attracted newcomers near and far tryin...
New
First poster: bot
As a student, when I was starting to seriously consider Data Science (DS) as a career option, the first thing that came to mind was where...
New
AstonJ
Just listening now… details revealed in Thinking Elixir’s podcast: José Valim visits and finally publicly reveals what Project Nx is! H...
New
First poster: bot
Summary In this project, we Added an OpenGL backend for MXNet/TVM - a general-purpose tensor computation framework, so that it automat...
New
CommunityNews
“Markpainting” is a clever technique to watermark photos in such a way that makes it easier to detect ML-based manipulation: An image o...
New
First poster: bot
Intro I finally escaped from (grad) school in 2019, spent two months interning as an assistant trader at FTX, and have since spent the la...
New
AstonJ
Biggest jackpot ever apparently! :upside_down_face: I don’t (usually) gamble/play the lottery, but working on a program to predict the...
New
ManningBooks
The book focuses on designing a complete, modular lakehouse architecture using Apache Iceberg—leveraging open source tools instead of rel...
New
ManningBooks
Timeless Algorithms: The Seminal Papers explains both the how and the why of the most important data science algorithms. Along with the t...
New
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Brace yourself for a fun challenge: build a photorealistic 3D renderer from scratch! In just a couple of weeks, build a ray tracer that r...
New
Exadra37
Please tell us what is your preferred monitor setup for programming(not gaming) and why you have chosen it. Does your monitor have eye p...
New
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build highly interactive applications without ever leaving Elixir, the way the experts do. Let LiveView take care of performance, scalabi...
New
Margaret
Hello everyone! This thread is to tell you about what authors from The Pragmatic Bookshelf are writing on Medium.
1147 29994 760
New
DevotionGeo
I have always used antique keyboards like Cherry MX 1800 or Cherry MX 8100 and almost always have modified the switches in some way, like...
New
New
New
RobertRichards
Hair Salon Games for Girls Fun Girls Hair Saloon game is mainly developed for kids. This game allows users to select virtual avatars to ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Write elegant Ruby code—not just correct, but idiomatic. Go beyond the vocabulary and syntax and learn to express yourself with eloquence...
New