CommunityNews

CommunityNews

Lessons Learned from Two Years as a Data Scientist

Intro

I finally escaped from (grad) school in 2019, spent two months interning as an assistant trader at FTX, and have since spent the last two years working as a data scientist, with the bulk of that time at Microsoft and the last two months at Anthropic. Not gonna lie — my time as a data scientist has been pretty awesome. I was technically on a product team at Microsoft in DevDiv working on improving developer tools like VS Code, but in practice it was like a flush research job with tons of freedom (to first approximation my instructions for the first six months were, “Fix bugs using machine learning. Go.”) I got to work with cutting edge transformer models and their application to source code, the most famous of which is autocompletion ala intellisense, tabnine, and Codex. Every two months the amount of compute I have access to has doubled, starting out with a 2013 macbook air and ending with a cluster with thousands of A100s (which, to be fair, I share with more people than my old laptop), and I got to collaborate on ten different papers.

I was extremely green when I started out. I hadn’t used python since cs1 as a college freshman, excluding one month where I worked through fast.ai and leetcode. Maybe the most telling anecdote is that I spent an embarrassingly long time using vim as my exclusive file editor… while not knowing any of the vim shortcuts besides :wq (write and quit).

Read in full here:

https://dawndrain.github.io/braindrain/two_years.html

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

Where Next?

Popular Other Fields topics Top

AstonJ
China used facial recognition quite extensively: And now Russia is too: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-europe-52157131/coronaviru...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Self-driving cars, natural language recognition, and online recommendation engines are all possible thanks to Machine Learning. Discover...
New
AstonJ
Probably only a delay of the inevitable - with facial-recognition systems already part of daily lives in countries such as China, how lon...
New
New
AstonJ
Just listening now… details revealed in Thinking Elixir’s podcast: José Valim visits and finally publicly reveals what Project Nx is! H...
New
First poster: bot
One of the first things to note about this book is that it is not an academic textbook. The authors of this book are not academics but a ...
New
CommunityNews
“Markpainting” is a clever technique to watermark photos in such a way that makes it easier to detect ML-based manipulation: An image o...
New
First poster: bot
The Modern Mathematics of Deep Learning. We describe the new field of mathematical analysis of deep learning. This field emerged around...
New
ManningBooks
DAX Reimagined isn’t just another beginner’s guide to the powerful DAX language. This unique book teaches you how to work with the engine...
New
ManningBooks
Timeless Algorithms: The Seminal Papers explains both the how and the why of the most important data science algorithms. Along with the t...
New

Other popular topics Top

AstonJ
If it’s a mechanical keyboard, which switches do you have? Would you recommend it? Why? What will your next keyboard be? Pics always w...
New
Exadra37
Please tell us what is your preferred monitor setup for programming(not gaming) and why you have chosen it. Does your monitor have eye p...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Design and develop sophisticated 2D games that are as much fun to make as they are to play. From particle effects and pathfinding to soci...
New
AstonJ
Do the test and post your score :nerd_face: :keyboard: If possible, please add info such as the keyboard you’re using, the layout (Qw...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Use WebRTC to build web applications that stream media and data in real time directly from one user to another, all in the browser. ...
New
DevotionGeo
I have always used antique keyboards like Cherry MX 1800 or Cherry MX 8100 and almost always have modified the switches in some way, like...
New
First poster: bot
zig/http.zig at 7cf2cbb33ef34c1d211135f56d30fe23b6cacd42 · ziglang/zig. General-purpose programming language and toolchain for maintaini...
New
CommunityNews
A Brief Review of the Minisforum V3 AMD Tablet. Update: I have created an awesome-minisforum-v3 GitHub repository to list information fo...
New
AstonJ
This is cool! DEEPSEEK-V3 ON M4 MAC: BLAZING FAST INFERENCE ON APPLE SILICON We just witnessed something incredible: the largest open-s...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Overarching tutorial for Python beginner and intermediate developers that teaches web development with the Flask framework. Miguel Gr...
New