CommunityNews

CommunityNews

Whatever happened to Elm, anyway?

Whatever happened to Elm, anyway?.
I see this question pop up quite frequently in lots of different arenas - folks are curious as to what happened to Elm. As a former community member of Elm, I thought I’d act as a historian here and provide a write up covering the big pieces I see. Everything in this post is public already, I’m just putting it together in one place - and will not touch on anything personal to anyone involved. The interesting parts are not about personal matters - but about the natural to and fro of a niche technology.

Read in full here:

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

Most Liked

Korbin73

Korbin73

It’s just my opinion, but the value proposition for any language/platform has to be more than pure joy. Adoption rarely has anything to with a language just being good. Devs are introduced to javascript first and once they learn to build with it convincing companies and devs to use a different language over anything that has the most momentum is a hard sell unless you can walk in to your managers office and show them real metrics on the money saved by using a language that is less error prone.

That being said. The better languages like elm/purescript must exist to bring good ideas back to mainstream languages. React and Rescript was build with that principle. React was built in SML originally and ported to javascript. Rescript used to be Reason that was basically Ocaml but changed to a more javascript syntax (typescript could be another example). Generally, speaking devs will use what is just there. And if it is too different… it will remain a niche language.

But still, Elm has inspired people to keep innovating in ML family languages which I’m glad about. In my opinion ML family syntax is easy to read with minimal noise. But that’s just my opinion (and I program in bracket languages all day).

dyowee

dyowee

Correct me if I am wrong, but the MVU pattern is one of the great concepts from Elm, that other frameworks has adopted.

jaeyson

jaeyson

Beautiful memories from Elm regardless if it’s stuck at v0.19

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

First poster: AstonJ
https://permission.site/ This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.
New
First poster: iPaul
TOKYO (Kyodo) – Japan’s government plans to encourage firms to let their employees choose to work four days a week instead of five, aimin...
New
First poster: mafinar
F# Is The Best Coding Language Today. If you want to personally pick up a programming language in order to become a better coder in what...
New
First poster: bot
SPWN is a programming language that compiles to Geometry Dash levels. What that means is that you can create levels by using not only the...
New
First poster: dpritchett
It’s not what programming languages do, it’s what they shepherd you to. How many of you have listened, read or taken part in a discussio...
New
First poster: bot
Raspberry Pi security alarm — the basics. In November last year — I started building a DIY security alarm system, using a Raspberry Pi a...
New
First poster: bot
sqlglot/python_sql_engine.md at main · tobymao/sqlglot. Python SQL Parser and Transpiler. Contribute to tobymao/sqlglot development by c...
New
First poster: KnowledgeIsPower
Building a Slack/Discord alternative with Tauri/Rust linen <span class="hashtag-icon-placeholder"></span>blog. Introduction My name is K...
New
CommunityNews
Apple Patents Suggest Future AirPods Could Monitor Biosignals &amp; Brain Activity - AppleMagazine. The US Patent &amp; Trademark Office...
New
CommunityNews
Writing Portable Rendering Code with NVRHI | NVIDIA Technical Blog. Learn about NVIDIA Rendering Hardware Interface (NVRHI), a library t...
New

Other popular topics Top

New
AstonJ
I’ve been hearing quite a lot of comments relating to the sound of a keyboard, with one of the most desirable of these called ‘thock’, he...
New
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build highly interactive applications without ever leaving Elixir, the way the experts do. Let LiveView take care of performance, scalabi...
New
Maartz
Hi folks, I don’t know if I saw this here but, here’s a new programming language, called Roc Reminds me a bit of Elm and thus Haskell. ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Mike Riley @mriley This month, we turn the spotlight on Mike Riley, author of Portable Python Projects. Mike’s book ...
New
First poster: AstonJ
Jan | Rethink the Computer. Jan turns your computer into an AI machine by running LLMs locally on your computer. It’s a privacy-focus, l...
New
sir.laksmana_wenk
I’m able to do the “artistic” part of game-development; character designing/modeling, music, environment modeling, etc. However, I don’t...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Get the comprehensive, insider information you need for Rails 8 with the new edition of this award-winning classic. Sam Ruby @rubys ...
New
AnfaengerAlex
Hello, I’m a beginner in Android development and I’m facing an issue with my project setup. In my build.gradle.kts file, I have the foll...
New