CommunityNews

CommunityNews

An SPA alternative

Recently Tom MacWright has written a few posts on Single Page Applications and their discontents:

The emerging norm for web development is to build a React single-page application, with server rendering. The two key elements of this architecture are something like:

  1. The main UI is built & updated in JavaScript using React or something similar.
  2. The backend is an API that that application makes requests against.

This idea has really swept the internet. It started with a few major popular websites and has crept into corners like marketing sites and blogs.

In these two articles Tom lays out the problem associated with the React/SPA everywhere mindset. If I can summarize them in one sentence: SPA frameworks tend to be complex, and you don’t get a lot of benefit for all that complexity in many cases.

Read in full here:

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

Where Next?

Popular Frontend topics Top

First poster: bot
A WebAssembly Powered Augmented Reality Sudoku Solver. An Augmented Reality Sudoku solver using the WebAssembly build of OpenCV (a C++ ...
New
First poster: bot
You can write fast, modern, responsive web applications by generating your HTML on the server, and delivering that (with a little help) d...
New
First poster: bot
In this article, I will discuss my journey from being an anti-TypeScript developer to a developer who now couldn’t think of going back to...
New
First poster: bot
When web accessibility comes to mind most people think of just adding an alt text to an image, but there is much more to it! This article...
New
First poster: bot
clickbait isn’t it? But this was Brock’s immediate reaction when we saw (and I recommend you read this first): Full Third-Party Cookie ...
New
First poster: bot
User-preference based media features, container queries, and media queries for new screen types, such as foldable screens, will enable us...
New
First poster: bot
Introduction WebAssembly is a standard of the World Wide Web consortium, which latest official release is WebAssembly Core Specification,...
New
First poster: bot
Implementing an app redesign is never routine nor easy. Two weeks after I was hired at Polytomic, I began implementing the app’s first re...
New
First poster: bot
For every day of advent I am building a new UI Component. The theme? You guessed it ― Christmas. :christmas_tree:
New
Johannes-Werbrouck
In this article, we’ll make an app more exclusive by requiring an invite to register. Along the way we’ll touch on topics like middleware...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Stop developing web apps with yesterday’s tools. Today, developers are increasingly adopting Clojure as a web-development platform. See f...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Free and open source software is the default choice for the technologies that run our world, and it’s built and maintained by people like...
New
Exadra37
I am thinking in building or buy a desktop computer for programing, both professionally and on my free time, and my choice of OS is Linux...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
From finance to artificial intelligence, genetic algorithms are a powerful tool with a wide array of applications. But you don't need an ...
New
AstonJ
There’s a whole world of custom keycaps out there that I didn’t know existed! Check out all of our Keycaps threads here: https://forum....
New
dimitarvp
Small essay with thoughts on macOS vs. Linux: I know @Exadra37 is just waiting around the corner to scream at me “I TOLD YOU SO!!!” but I...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Jamis Buck @jamis This month, we have the pleasure of spotlighting author Jamis Buck, who has written Mazes for Prog...
New
AstonJ
This is cool! DEEPSEEK-V3 ON M4 MAC: BLAZING FAST INFERENCE ON APPLE SILICON We just witnessed something incredible: the largest open-s...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Escape callback hell and ship fast, clean code that reads as smoothly as it runs. Squash bugs and stamp out memory leaks with an intuitiv...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
As digital systems increasingly run the world, mastery of the recurring patterns of software development risk is the key to fast and effe...
New