Korbin73

Korbin73

Software complexity demands on Software Devs

As I was reading this article I was thinking about how much I missed desktop apps from 20 years ago. If anyone asked a me a question that pertained to the business logic of the app or data in the database, the answer to that question was just a few keystrokes away.

https://www.infoworld.com/article/3639050/complexity-is-killing-software-developers.html

Most Liked

chaptuck

chaptuck

“Essential is the complexity in the business domain you are working in, the fact that enterprises are extremely complicated environments, so the problems they are trying to solve are inherently complex. The other area is accidental; this is the complexity that comes with our tooling and what we layer on top when solving a problem.”

This quote from the article is on point. All (most?) problems have complexity somewhere or it wouldn’t be a problem to solve. The important thing is to make sure that the only complexity you need to deal with is the essential complexity. Anything that reduces the accidental complexity is only going to help your team (and yourself) build better things faster and with less complexity.

Humans have made some pretty awesome things in the last few decades and I don’t know if that would be possible without some of the tooling developed in that time. Now is our chance to focus on those essential tools and get rid of, simplify, or replace the excess.

AstonJ

AstonJ

The growing complexity of modern software systems is slowly killing software developers. How can you regain control, without losing out on the best these technologies have to offer?

Sound like a good article I have bookmarked it for later :023:

I agree with the premise - and why I think tech like Phoenix’s LiveView is so important - to help simplify things.

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

AstonJ
I just watched this: (tldr: remove bad choices so you don’t need to use willpower) It got me thinking about ways to incre...
New
AstonJ
If so, what was the last blog post you wrote… and if not, why not?
New
AstonJ
Inspired by this tweet by @dasdom Even if you take out all the damage being done by humans, our planet has about 50B years before bein...
New
AstonJ
Just been adding some more portals, currently have the following languages: Apache Groovy C C# C++ Clojure CoffeeScript Crystal ...
New
New
AstonJ
Do you think it’s worth worrying about? Do you think it’s going to be an even bigger issue in future? If so what can the teams of smaller...
New
AstonJ
Continuing the discussion from Thinking about learning Crystal, let’s discuss - I was wondering which languages don’t GC - maybe we can c...
New
OvermindDL1
What shell(s) do you use, why do you use them, and how do you have them configured? Note, this is about shell’s, not terminals, terminal...
New
dwaynebradley
In their weekly newsletter, Jared Santo from the Changelog shared this blog post by Mark Ericksen over at fly.io: What is really inter...
New
harwind
I’m developing a web-based application that uses Java servlets to make RPC calls. I’m searching for a solid technique to dispatch and ha...
New

Other popular topics Top

Devtalk
Reading something? Working on something? Planning something? Changing jobs even!? If you’re up for sharing, please let us know what you’...
1063 24245 395
New
Exadra37
Please tell us what is your preferred monitor setup for programming(not gaming) and why you have chosen it. Does your monitor have eye p...
New
AstonJ
There’s a whole world of custom keycaps out there that I didn’t know existed! Check out all of our Keycaps threads here: https://forum....
New
AstonJ
Just done a fresh install of macOS Big Sur and on installing Erlang I am getting: asdf install erlang 23.1.2 Configure failed. checking ...
New
AstonJ
I ended up cancelling my Moonlander order as I think it’s just going to be a bit too bulky for me. I think the Planck and the Preonic (o...
New
New
DevotionGeo
I have always used antique keyboards like Cherry MX 1800 or Cherry MX 8100 and almost always have modified the switches in some way, like...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Fight complexity and reclaim the original spirit of agility by learning to simplify how you develop software. The result: a more humane a...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Write elegant Ruby code—not just correct, but idiomatic. Go beyond the vocabulary and syntax and learn to express yourself with eloquence...
New
xiji2646-netizen
Woke up to this today: Claude Code’s complete source code exposed via npm source map. Not a snippet. All 512,000 lines. 1,900 TypeScript ...
New