CommunityNews
MacOS Nix Setup (an alternative to Homebrew)
MacOS Nix Setup (an alternative to Homebrew).
I recently got a new Macbook, and began setting up the Nix package manager to install my developer toolset. I mainly did this to try and have a working setup without installing Homebrew. Since I ran into a few issues, I wanted to briefly document what I did and why in case others wanted to try the same.
Why Nix? (and why not Homebrew or MacPorts?) The short answer: hype.
This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our automated news source trackers.
Popular Macos topics
What was it? What language did you use? How did you find the experience?
New
Anyone else experience bugs with macOS?
I have two that are annoying me…
Every now and again after waking from sleep, Safari CPU cons...
New
MacOS Nix Setup (an alternative to Homebrew).
I recently got a new Macbook, and began setting up the Nix package manager to install my d...
New
Just over an hour to go… anyone going to be watching it?
New Macs? :nerd_face:
New
New
Hi there!
I recently bought a new mouse pad (HyperX Fury) and it feels like without mouse pad the magic mouse is working better(smoother...
New
Just noticed this after the latest macOS update (11.3.1) - you can now set a low res (non-retina/HiDPR) mode:
Handy if you need a 1:1...
New
New Macs look good! Tho I hate the notch - why does it have to be so big?
Will be interested in seeing reviews of real world usage and w...
New
For anyone else who finds the large number of recent items annoying when right-clicking the finder icon on Mac, simply:
System Prefs >...
New
Hello, Apple developers!
I want to upload an app to testflight, but I’m having the issue from the picture and I can’t get around it.
Ha...
New
Other popular topics
Algorithms and data structures are much more than abstract concepts. Mastering them enables you to write code that runs faster and more e...
New
You might be thinking we should just ask who’s not using VSCode :joy: however there are some new additions in the space that might give V...
New
This looks like a stunning keycap set :orange_heart:
A LEGENDARY KEYBOARD LIVES ON
When you bought an Apple Macintosh computer in the e...
New
Small essay with thoughts on macOS vs. Linux:
I know @Exadra37 is just waiting around the corner to scream at me “I TOLD YOU SO!!!” but I...
New
A few weeks ago I started using Warp a terminal written in rust. Though in it’s current state of development there are a few caveats (tab...
New
New
A Brief Review of the Minisforum V3 AMD Tablet.
Update: I have created an awesome-minisforum-v3 GitHub repository to list information fo...
New
A masterclass in the fundamentals and principles of functional programming.
Minh Quang Tran
The Art of Functional Programming is a ma...
New
A concise guide to MySQL 9 database administration, covering fundamental concepts, techniques, and best practices.
Neil Smyth
MySQL...
New
Open-source implementation of the classic GTA engine now running directly in your browser. Experience the reVC technology demo on DOS.Zon...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Popular Portals
- /elixir
- /rust
- /wasm
- /ruby
- /erlang
- /phoenix
- /keyboards
- /python
- /js
- /rails
- /security
- /go
- /swift
- /vim
- /java
- /clojure
- /typescript
- /emacs
- /haskell
- /svelte
- /onivim
- /kotlin
- /react
- /c-plus-plus
- /crystal
- /tailwind
- /gleam
- /ocaml
- /elm
- /vscode
- /flutter
- /html
- /ash
- /deepseek
- /zig
- /opensuse
- /centos
- /php
- /react-native
- /scala
- /lisp
- /textmate
- /sublime-text
- /nixos
- /debian
- /agda
- /deno
- /django
- /kubuntu
- /nodejs
- /arch-linux
- /ubuntu
- /spring
- /revery
- /manjaro
- /julia
- /quarkus
- /lua
- /diversity
- /laravel









