foxtrottwist

foxtrottwist

Keyboardio Atreus (Mechanical) (Ergonomic) (Ortholinear)

Here’s our thread for the Keyboardio Atreus. It is a mechanical keyboard based on and a slight update of the original Atreus (Keyboardio worked with Phil Hagelberg who is the creator of the original Atreus) and it’s proven pretty popular, in part because of it’s sleek design and in part because it is more affordable than many other mechanical keyboards of similar quality.

Most Liked

foxtrottwist

foxtrottwist

My Experience with The Keyboadio Atreus

The Keyboardio Atreus represents a number of firsts for me. My first mechanical keyboard. The first time using an ergonomic keyboard. And one with a columnar layout (all the keys in columns aligned to your fingers) no less. The first time using an alternative alpha-numeric layout to qwerty (Colemak mod-DHm). And the first time using a keyboard that allows for near total customization by changing the firmware on the device. This includes adding macros and other shortcuts, one shot modifiers, multifunction keys and layers.

Those are a lot of changes all at once. Perhaps to my detriment. That being said, the experience has been great!

The Hardware

The Atreus measures just 24.3 x 10 x 2.8cm (9.6 x 3.9 x 1.1 inches). Despite knowing this and even after printing out a scale papercraft version before receiving it, the Atreus was still surprisingly small once I held it in my hands. But let there be no doubt, it is one of the most comfortable and user friendly keyboards I have ever used. And for someone who has never been a good typist, the columnar layout and minimal amount of keys have made it a joy for me to type on.

I personally appreciate not having a number row or an extra column for my small fingers to try and hit. Having fewer keys certainly is a trade-off. However, I feel it has the benefit of added confidence that when you reach for a particular key, you will hit the correct one. In addition it has motivated me to embrace the use of layers, which I believe is a definite win.

The Software

Kaliediscope is the open source firmware that runs on the keyboard itself. It provides all the programmable functionality mentioned above. You can take this functinality with you from computer to computer. Just plug in your keyboard and your layout, macros and shorcuts are right there for use. Chrysalis is the desktop application used to configure Kaliediscope. If you are familiar with QMK, know that Kaliediscope is very similar. It has a few tricks up its sleeve that QMK doesn’t and vice versa, though its community is much smaller. Also note that QMK supports the Keyboardio Atreus if that is something that interest you.

One advantage that Kaliediscope has is that when using Chrysalis, you can change your layout without flashing a new custom firmware. Many options are available to you via Chrysalis, but not all. If you want to make more meaningful changes, including adding macros, ultimately you will have to build custom firmware and flash your board. You can do this in addition to using Chrysalis. This is nice as it allows for handling the more mundane changes with Chrysalis even after making some more complicated adjustments.

I have not yet built my own custom firmware. Though, I am at the point where I must do so in order to support some of the functionality I would like. Keyboardio is hard at work improving Chrysalis. In the future it may be less necessary to build custom firmware in some cases, allowing users to just use Chrysalis if they are less inclined to dig into the complexities of building their own firmware.

More to Come…

As stated at the outset, this has been a great experience. I’m still getting used to the Atreus and I have recently received a ZSA Moonlander that runs QMK. So expect an update on my experiences with the Atreus and a comparison to the Moonlander.

A big thanks to @AstonJ for encouraging me to post about my experience with this great keyboard!

AstonJ

AstonJ

Thanks for posting this thread and for sharing your thoughts about it @foxtrottwist!

I immediately printed the paper craft version to see what it would look like on my desk :rofl:

It’s tiny! And comparing it to your moonlander here:

Makes me feel a bit better about the Moonlander - maybe it’s not as big as I am expecting it to be after all :confused:

Thanks again for posting your thoughts, I am sure it will help lots of people… the only thing missing is some pics, haha!

AstonJ

AstonJ

This is the photo I mentioned previously @foxtrottwist, a prototype of the Atreus which I think looks pretty awesome! Why didn’t they just make them like this? Or could this be a version 2? I reckon they would sell lots if they they do a run like this!

From this thread:

(A photos thread for a mechanical keyboard meetup in Tokyo)

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

AstonJ
Do you use (or does your dev machine have) a Retina or HiDPI screen? poll Here’s an explanation of what HiDPI is - from Steve Jobs when ...
New
herminiotorres
What is your mouse currently? What technology is your mouse? Bluetooth? Wireless? or Wired? Gamer Mouse or not? what is your opinion ab...
New
siddhant3030
Hi, I’m about to buy a MacBook 2019 model. I use mostly Elixir in my development. Should I go for this MacBook? or should I consider a L...
New
AstonJ
Apart from your monitor, keyboard and mouse - what additional computer hardware do you have?
New
AstonJ
Here’s why: He makes a convincing argument against staggered, and the first comment sums it up: Once I learned why the s...
New
AstonJ
We have a thread about the keyboards we have, but what about nice keyboards we come across that we want? If you have seen any that look n...
New
AstonJ
I found this video pretty informative - even if it could have been said in half the time!
New
First poster: kokolegorille
Seagate recently published its long-term technology roadmap revealing plans to produce ~50 TB hard drives by 2026 and 120+ TB HDDs after ...
New
First poster: bot
We perform a detailed vertical analysis of application performance atop a range of modern file systems and SSD FTLs. We formalize the “un...
New
AiheyStudio
Every pet is unique, so why not let their personality shine on your keyboard? Introducing our Artisan Keycaps for Cats and Dogs, custom-m...
New

Other popular topics Top

AstonJ
If it’s a mechanical keyboard, which switches do you have? Would you recommend it? Why? What will your next keyboard be? Pics always w...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Ruby, Io, Prolog, Scala, Erlang, Clojure, Haskell. With Seven Languages in Seven Weeks, by Bruce A. Tate, you’ll go beyond the syntax—and...
New
AstonJ
Do the test and post your score :nerd_face: :keyboard: If possible, please add info such as the keyboard you’re using, the layout (Qw...
New
AstonJ
In case anyone else is wondering why Ruby 3 doesn’t show when you do asdf list-all ruby :man_facepalming: do this first: asdf plugin-upd...
New
mafinar
This is going to be a long an frequently posted thread. While talking to a friend of mine who has taken data structure and algorithm cou...
New
AstonJ
If you get Can't find emacs in your PATH when trying to install Doom Emacs on your Mac you… just… need to install Emacs first! :lol: bre...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Rebecca Skinner @RebeccaSkinner Welcome to our latest author spotlight, where we sit down with Rebecca Skinner, auth...
New
husaindevelop
Inside our android webview app, we are trying to paste the copied content from another app eg (notes) using navigator.clipboard.readtext ...
New
CommunityNews
A Brief Review of the Minisforum V3 AMD Tablet. Update: I have created an awesome-minisforum-v3 GitHub repository to list information fo...
New
pragdave
Build robust LLM-powered apps, chatbots, and agents while mastering AI engineering principles that will help you outlast the tools and th...
New