AstonJ

AstonJ

Do we really need maths for programming?

This YouTuber thinks you do:

Most Liked

AstonJ

AstonJ

I think it probably depends on what you want to do, but for me personally, it’s definitely something I want to learn from a programming perspective…

Rainer

Rainer

Yep, really depends on what you wanna do, and: “Math” is quite a big thing :stuck_out_tongue:
If you wanna do a 3d engine, you’ll need some know how in vector geometry and matrix calculations. (I did some quite nice things there :smiley: )
For the generic business app: nope.

I don’t think that you need a deeper understanding of math to understand programming, even if many people say so and my dad was a math teacher at highschool.

What helps more is understanding how a computer and memory works, and deep knowledge of the domain you’re in.

GermaVinsmoke

GermaVinsmoke

I used it to create a Pie chart in <canvas>. The ratio, radius, start-angle, end-angle, etc. :joy:

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

AstonJ
In your opinion which programming languages are simple to use and easy to get started wither those who don’t have a computer science bac...
New
AstonJ
:smiling_imp: What is your preferred syntax style and why? Perhaps we can add examples and use the code below as a simple reference poi...
New
chasekaylee
Just like the title says :smiley: which courses you find that have had the most impact in the span of your career as a developer?
New
mafinar
I always start with excitement and then get busy on 9/10th day. This year, like the year before this, and the year before that, I intend ...
New
jss
What do people think about Data-Oriented Programming, like this book tackles? https://www.manning.com/books/data-oriented-programming Ho...
New
AstonJ
Hi everyone… I’m so sorry about the delay in getting this thread up, I’ve just been so busy :see_no_evil: Are there any book clubs you’d...
New
OvermindDL1
What shell(s) do you use, why do you use them, and how do you have them configured? Note, this is about shell’s, not terminals, terminal...
New
TwistingTwists
Hello Fellow developers, I have been trying to wrap my head around How difficult would it have been to be a dev 20-30 years ago? I have...
New
malloryerik
With 100% less blockchain. I went searching for a lightweight immutable database that could be audited and ran into this. I guess this ...
New
DevotionGeo
For me it’s six to seven steps above complete dark, on MacBook Air M1.
New

Other popular topics Top

Devtalk
Reading something? Working on something? Planning something? Changing jobs even!? If you’re up for sharing, please let us know what you’...
1063 24245 395
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Learn from the award-winning programming series that inspired the Elixir language, and go on a step-by-step journey through the most impo...
New
Exadra37
I am thinking in building or buy a desktop computer for programing, both professionally and on my free time, and my choice of OS is Linux...
New
brentjanderson
Bought the Moonlander mechanical keyboard. Cherry Brown MX switches. Arms and wrists have been hurting enough that it’s time I did someth...
New
AstonJ
Just done a fresh install of macOS Big Sur and on installing Erlang I am getting: asdf install erlang 23.1.2 Configure failed. checking ...
New
dimitarvp
Small essay with thoughts on macOS vs. Linux: I know @Exadra37 is just waiting around the corner to scream at me “I TOLD YOU SO!!!” but I...
New
AstonJ
In case anyone else is wondering why Ruby 3 doesn’t show when you do asdf list-all ruby :man_facepalming: do this first: asdf plugin-upd...
New
AstonJ
Continuing the discussion from Thinking about learning Crystal, let’s discuss - I was wondering which languages don’t GC - maybe we can c...
New
AstonJ
If you get Can't find emacs in your PATH when trying to install Doom Emacs on your Mac you… just… need to install Emacs first! :lol: bre...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Use advanced functional programming principles, practical Domain-Driven Design techniques, and production-ready Elixir code to build scal...
New