seblegall

seblegall

Distributed Services with Go - Method log.Read() fails reading Records

Hi,

I’m currently reading your book. By doing so, I like to rewrite the code by myself. It helps me to deeply understand how it works.

However, I found something strange in the log package, concerning the Read() func. Let’s see that with a test example :

In the log_test.go file, the original test is :

func testAppendRead(t *testing.T, log *log.Log) {
	append := &api.Record{
		Value: []byte("hello world"),
	}
	off, err := log.Append(append)
	require.NoError(t, err)
	require.Equal(t, uint64(0), off)

	read, err := log.Read(off)
	require.NoError(t, err)
	require.Equal(t, append, read)

}

In this test, we write 1 record and read it.
Let’s write 4 records and read them:

func testAppendRead(t *testing.T, log *log.Log) {

	for i := 0; i < 5; i++ {
		append := &api.Record{
			Value: []byte(fmt.Sprintf("Hello World %d !", i)),
		}
		off, err := log.Append(append)
		require.NoError(t, err)
		require.Equal(t, uint64(i), off)

		read, err := log.Read(off)
		require.NoError(t, err)
		require.Equal(t, append, read)
	}

}

Here is what I get by running go test -v log_test.go :

=== RUN   TestLog
=== RUN   TestLog/append_and_read_a_record_succeeds
    TestLog/append_and_read_a_record_succeeds: log_test.go:48: 
                Error Trace:    log_test.go:48
                                                        log_test.go:32
                Error:          Received unexpected error:
                                offset out of range: 2
                Test:           TestLog/append_and_read_a_record_succeeds

I’m not sure why it fails, but I have understood that, in a log, segments are ordered from the oldest to the newest. It means the oldest will have a base offset of 0 (for example), the second will have a base offset of 2.

But then, there is this code in the Read method :

    var s *segment
	for _, segment := range l.segments {
               //The first segment we read is the oldest one. That is to say, the one
               //with a base offset equals to 0, right?
 		if segment.baseOffset <= off {
			s = segment
			break
		}
	}
	if s == nil || s.nextOffset <= off {
		return nil, fmt.Errorf("offset out of range: %d", off)
	}

If we try to read offset 3, by reading the first (oldest) segment in the loop, we will have: segment.baseOffset = 0 <= 3 However, the Record with the offset 3 is in the segment which baseOffset is 2.

Did I miss something?

Most Liked

travisjeffery

travisjeffery

Author of Distributed Services with Go

Hey, yeah it should be implemented like this:

func (l *Log) Read(off uint64) (*api.Record, error) {
	l.mu.RLock()
	defer l.mu.RUnlock()
	var s *segment
	for _, segment := range l.segments {
		if segment.baseOffset <= off && off < segment.nextOffset {
			s = segment
			break
		}
	}
	// START: before
	if s == nil || s.nextOffset <= off {
		return nil, fmt.Errorf("offset out of range: %d", off)
	}
	// END: before
	return s.Read(off)
}

I fixed a ton of issues that will be in the next beta, which should be out either late this week or next week.

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

telemachus
Python Testing With Pytest - Chapter 2, warnings for “unregistered custom marks” While running the smoke tests in Chapter 2, I get these...
New
yulkin
your book suggests to use Image.toByteData() to convert image to bytes, however I get the following error: "the getter ‘toByteData’ isn’t...
New
Alexandr
Hi everyone! There is an error on the page 71 in the book “Programming machine learning from coding to depp learning” P. Perrotta. You c...
New
mikecargal
Title: Hands-On Rust (Chap 8 (Adding a Heads Up Display) It looks like ​.with_simple_console_no_bg​(SCREEN_WIDTH*2, SCREEN_HEIGHT*2...
New
joepstender
The generated iex result below should list products instead of product for the metadata. (page 67) iex&gt; product = %Product{} %Pento....
New
brian-m-ops
#book-python-testing-with-pytest-second-edition Hi. Thanks for writing the book. I am just learning so this might just of been an issue ...
New
leonW
I ran this command after installing the sample application: $ cards add do something --owner Brian And got a file not found error: Fil...
New
hazardco
On page 78 the following code appears: &lt;%= link_to ‘Destroy’, product, class: ‘hover:underline’, method: :delete, data: { confirm...
New
jwandekoken
Book: Programming Phoenix LiveView, page 142 (157/378), file lib/pento_web/live/product_live/form_component.ex, in the function below: d...
New
dtonhofer
@parrt In the context of Chapter 4.3, the grammar Java.g4, meant to parse Java 6 compilation units, no longer passes ANTLR (currently 4....
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Brace yourself for a fun challenge: build a photorealistic 3D renderer from scratch! In just a couple of weeks, build a ray tracer that r...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Free and open source software is the default choice for the technologies that run our world, and it’s built and maintained by people like...
New
DevotionGeo
I know that -t flag is used along with -i flag for getting an interactive shell. But I cannot digest what the man page for docker run com...
New
Rainer
My first contact with Erlang was about 2 years ago when I used RabbitMQ, which is written in Erlang, for my job. This made me curious and...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Rust is an exciting new programming language combining the power of C with memory safety, fearless concurrency, and productivity boosters...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Learn different ways of writing concurrent code in Elixir and increase your application's performance, without sacrificing scalability or...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Rails 7 completely redefines what it means to produce fantastic user experiences and provides a way to achieve all the benefits of single...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Overarching tutorial for Python beginner and intermediate developers that teaches web development with the Flask framework. Miguel Gr...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
This book forgoes the abstract and instead provides concrete examples to help you better leverage the unique properties of Elixir, Erlang...
New
xiji2646-netizen
There’s a GitHub repo at forrestchang/andrej-karpathy-skills that’s sitting at 97.8k stars. It’s a single CLAUDE.md file with four behavi...
New

Sub Categories: