Huzi

Huzi

Mechanics behind Block Blast–style puzzle games - what are the best approaches for developing one for the web?

I’ve been studying the mechanics behind Block Blast–style puzzle games, and I’m curious about the best approaches for developing one for the web.

A few questions I’m exploring:

  • What’s the most efficient way to handle block collision and clearing logic in JavaScript or WebGL?

  • Any advice for smooth animation performance on mobile browsers?

  • Do you think using a game framework (like Phaser, PixiJS, or Unity WebGL export) is worth it for this type of puzzle game?

First Post!

Eunice56

Eunice56

For handling block collision and clearing in a grid-based puzzle game, using a 2D array to represent the game state is the most efficient approach. The clearing logic typically involves a “flood fill” algorithm to find and remove connected blocks of the same color, followed by a function to make blocks fall into empty spaces.

For smooth animation on mobile, CSS transforms and requestAnimationFrame are your best friends. They are heavily optimized by browsers. A lightweight framework like Phaser or PixiJS is often worth it, as it handles rendering, input, and asset loading, letting you focus on the game logic.

Where Next?

Popular Game Dev topics Top

Help
I am trying to crate a game for the Nintendo switch, I wanted to use Java as I am comfortable with that programming language. Can you use...
New
ksspeedstar
For about two weeks we have had the problem that Google / Android are rejecting apps for updates with the following statement: We found...
New
deadlyzayan
hey there everyone , hope you are all great . i have been a world of warcraft player as long as i can remember and i got this idea of sta...
New
Hipnot
How do I cancel my Fortnite Crew subscription and what happens to my account and previous rewards after I cancel my subscription?
New
gulshan212
Hello this is Gulshan Negi Well, I have developed a program in C++ to print a man (reference taken from here). On the attached site, I a...
New
Dhanen
Hi all. New here. I tried do it by myself and searching help in forums but no luck… Hope I can found it here in a specialized forum. My...
New
lingo1357
I have developed an initial plan for a simple and addictive physics game using a new engine I’ve learned. While I can envision various ph...
New
Cheeren
Hello. I am developing a game with Unity. I have a problem that I can’t solve. It doesn’t matter if it is 3D or 2D, the edges of the obje...
New
Huzi
I’ve been studying the mechanics behind Block Blast–style puzzle games, and I’m curious about the best approaches for developing one for ...
New
dveloper
Do you guys know what coding launguage I should start with for game dev?
New

Other popular topics Top

Devtalk
Hello Devtalk World! Please let us know a little about who you are and where you’re from :nerd_face:
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Andy and Dave wrote this influential, classic book to help their clients create better software and rediscover the joy of coding. Almost ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
From finance to artificial intelligence, genetic algorithms are a powerful tool with a wide array of applications. But you don't need an ...
New
AstonJ
I’ve been hearing quite a lot of comments relating to the sound of a keyboard, with one of the most desirable of these called ‘thock’, he...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Rust is an exciting new programming language combining the power of C with memory safety, fearless concurrency, and productivity boosters...
New
DevotionGeo
The V Programming Language Simple language for building maintainable programs V is already mentioned couple of times in the forum, but I...
New
AstonJ
We’ve talked about his book briefly here but it is quickly becoming obsolete - so he’s decided to create a series of 7 podcasts, the firs...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Mike Riley @mriley This month, we turn the spotlight on Mike Riley, author of Portable Python Projects. Mike’s book ...
New
First poster: AstonJ
Jan | Rethink the Computer. Jan turns your computer into an AI machine by running LLMs locally on your computer. It’s a privacy-focus, l...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Quickly turn complex problems into simple, working solutions using functional programming, safe concurrency, and the expressive tools of ...
New