chriswadams

chriswadams

Build Websites with Hugo: Code in chapter two won't run

I’m working through Mr. Hogan’s book, and the code has been running fine, until I got to the section “Using Content Blocks and Partials” in chapter 2. When I substituted the following code for ‘index.html’, I got a blank output:

{{ define “main” }}

{{ .Content }}

{{ end }}

Hugo didn’t give any error messages, just blank output. If I commented out the above code, and restored the previous html, I would get output. Also, I found I would get wonky results if I copied and pasted from the PDF, so I typed this code by hand, and still no output. What do I need to do to get output from Hugo using ‘partial’ blocks?

I have installed Hugo 0.77 on Windows 10 (64-bit). Thanks!

-Chris Adams.

Most Liked

chriswadams

chriswadams

Hi Brian –

Thanks for responding! You wrote:

“That should be the only content in the file though. All the rest of the content should be gone.”

Actually, I had a comment in the file, along with the code I provided above. And when I removed that comment, the output magically reappeared! I really had no idea that the presence or absence of a comment would make such a difference.

Do other files in Hugo respond this way to comments? I may have to do some experimenting to find out. In any case, thank you for taking the time to respond; it really helped!

-Chris Adams.

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

New
mikecargal
Title: Hands-on Rust: question about get_component (page 295) (feel free to respond. “You dug you’re own hole… good luck”) I have somet...
New
herminiotorres
Hi @Margaret , On page VII the book tells us the example and snippets will be all using Elixir version 1.11 But on page 3 almost the en...
New
leonW
I ran this command after installing the sample application: $ cards add do something --owner Brian And got a file not found error: Fil...
New
curtosis
Running mix deps.get in the sensor_hub directory fails with the following error: ** (Mix) No SSH public keys found in ~/.ssh. An ssh aut...
New
hazardco
On page 78 the following code appears: <%= link_to ‘Destroy’, product, class: ‘hover:underline’, method: :delete, data: { confirm...
New
AufHe
I’m a newbie to Rails 7 and have hit an issue with the bin/Dev script mentioned on pages 112-113. Iteration A1 - Seeing the list of prod...
New
jwandekoken
Book: Programming Phoenix LiveView, page 142 (157/378), file lib/pento_web/live/product_live/form_component.ex, in the function below: d...
New
a.zampa
@mfazio23 I’m following the indications of the book and arriver ad chapter 10, but the app cannot be compiled due to an error in the Bas...
New
ggerico
I got this error when executing the plot files on macOS Ventura 13.0.1 with Python 3.10.8 and matplotlib 3.6.1: programming_ML/code/03_...
New

Other popular topics Top

Devtalk
Reading something? Working on something? Planning something? Changing jobs even!? If you’re up for sharing, please let us know what you’...
1063 24245 395
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Free and open source software is the default choice for the technologies that run our world, and it’s built and maintained by people like...
New
AstonJ
You might be thinking we should just ask who’s not using VSCode :joy: however there are some new additions in the space that might give V...
New
AstonJ
poll poll Be sure to check out @Dusty’s article posted here: An Introduction to Alternative Keyboard Layouts It’s one of the best write-...
New
AstonJ
I’ve been hearing quite a lot of comments relating to the sound of a keyboard, with one of the most desirable of these called ‘thock’, he...
New
AstonJ
I ended up cancelling my Moonlander order as I think it’s just going to be a bit too bulky for me. I think the Planck and the Preonic (o...
New
foxtrottwist
A few weeks ago I started using Warp a terminal written in rust. Though in it’s current state of development there are a few caveats (tab...
New
AstonJ
Was just curious to see if any were around, found this one: I got 51/100: Not sure if it was meant to buy I am sure at times the b...
New
AstonJ
If you’re getting errors like this: psql: error: connection to server on socket “/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432” failed: No such file or directory ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Overarching tutorial for Python beginner and intermediate developers that teaches web development with the Flask framework. Miguel Gr...
New

Sub Categories: