PragmaticBookshelf

PragmaticBookshelf

Devtalk Sponsor

Spotlight: Brian Hogan (Author)

A Hero’s Journey
with Brian P. Hogan
@bphogan

Brian P. Hogan, author of Build Websites with Hugo, discusses his journey to becoming a Pragmatic Bookshelf author.

INTERVIEW

Listen to the complete audio interview here:
https://pragprog.libsyn.com/episode-04-brian-hogan

WIN!

We’re giving away one of Brian’s books to one lucky winner! Simply post a comment or a question in his AMA below, and the Devtalk bot will randomly pick a winner at a time of the author’s choosing … then automatically update this thread with the results!


SHOW SUMMARY

For those who prefer to read rather than listen, the following are highlights from the interview.

Brian Hogan is a software developer, teacher, author, editor, and musician. Since 1995, Brian’s been building websites and web applications using a variety of tools and technology.

But Brian’s journey didn’t stop with web development. He’s been working as a freelance developer for small businesses and has helped countless developers through lectures, mentoring, and of course, books—including Small, Sharp Software Tools, Exercises for Programmers, tmux 2: Productive Mouse-Free Development, and several others for The Pragmatic Bookshelf.

On this episode, Brian talks about his journey to becoming a pragmatic author and what he’s learned along the way. He also spills the beans on what makes for a great bio and how to showcase who you are and what you do.

Listen to the rest of Brian’s story on this episode of the Pragmatic Hero’s Journey podcast.

You can stream the episode here: https://pragprog.libsyn.com/ or subscribe to the RSS feed using the following link: https://pragprog.libsyn.com/rss.


Now that you know his story, check out Brian’s books below!

PragProg Books by Brian P. Hogan

Follow Brian on Twitter at https://twitter.com/bphogan.

Check out what Brian is writing about on Medium:
Command Line Blocks in Hugo

Dont forget! You can get 35% off Brian’s books with the coupon code devtalk.com!


book-build-websites-with-hugo
book-small-sharp-software-tools


YOUR TURN!

We’re now opening up the thread for your questions! Ask Brian anything! Please keep it clean and don’t forget by participating you automatically enter the competition to win one of her ebooks!

Most Liked

bphogan

bphogan

Author of Build Websites with Hugo (and 4 other titles)

@DevotionGeo Thanks for the kind note. I’m really proud of Exercises for Programmers. The first 40 or so of those projects are challenges I gave my class in their first semester programming course I used to teach. I find them great for getting up to speed on a new language too.

DevotionGeo

DevotionGeo

You’re welcome! :slight_smile:
I loved those exercises back then, and I’ll read that book again and will redo those challenges in Erlang and Rust. I also hope to read more of your books like Small, Sharp Software Tools.

AstonJ

AstonJ

I haven’t had time to listen to the interview yet but just wanted to say it’s great to see Brian is still active within the dev community - he was one of the names I often saw crop up in things like Twitter discussions (with Rails folk like DHH) and a decade later he’s still here writing and editing? :003:

So my question is, what have been your favourite moments or pieces of tech in the dev space over that time :blush:

Where Next?

Popular Community topics Top

New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Jamis Buck @jamis This month, we have the pleasure of spotlighting author Jamis Buck, who has written Mazes for Prog...
New
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight: Johanna Rothman @jrothman Writing is a craft and Johanna Rothman is an expert. Today we talked about the art of wri...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight: Peter Ullrich @PJUllrich Data is at the core of every business, but it is useless if nobody can access and analyze ...
New
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight: Leemay Nassery @leemay You do your best new feature development when you’re not afraid to be wrong. We sat down and...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight: Sean Moriarity @seanmor5 Machine learning sounds both magical and difficult, but with the right tools and the right...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Democratizing Deployment with Ellie and Pep @elliefairholm and @Gilacost Ellie Fairholm and Josep (Pep) Giralt D’Lacoste are o...
New
Margaret
Creating Great Teams with Sandy Mamoli @sandymamoli and David Mole What if teams could form themselves, rather than being assi...
New

Other popular topics Top

Devtalk
Reading something? Working on something? Planning something? Changing jobs even!? If you’re up for sharing, please let us know what you’...
1063 24245 395
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Free and open source software is the default choice for the technologies that run our world, and it’s built and maintained by people like...
New
AstonJ
You might be thinking we should just ask who’s not using VSCode :joy: however there are some new additions in the space that might give V...
New
AstonJ
poll poll Be sure to check out @Dusty’s article posted here: An Introduction to Alternative Keyboard Layouts It’s one of the best write-...
New
AstonJ
I’ve been hearing quite a lot of comments relating to the sound of a keyboard, with one of the most desirable of these called ‘thock’, he...
New
AstonJ
I ended up cancelling my Moonlander order as I think it’s just going to be a bit too bulky for me. I think the Planck and the Preonic (o...
New
foxtrottwist
A few weeks ago I started using Warp a terminal written in rust. Though in it’s current state of development there are a few caveats (tab...
New
AstonJ
Was just curious to see if any were around, found this one: I got 51/100: Not sure if it was meant to buy I am sure at times the b...
New
AstonJ
If you’re getting errors like this: psql: error: connection to server on socket “/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432” failed: No such file or directory ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Overarching tutorial for Python beginner and intermediate developers that teaches web development with the Flask framework. Miguel Gr...
New